No announcement yet.

Exploitation of the Dumb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't even say you'd have to give him minimal wage. Giving him some food is probably preferable to him, anyways. But 50 cents worth? that's being an *******. You could atleast give him a full-sized bag of chips or a 6-pack of soda isntead of the smallest units.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Osweld
      Why would he be unable to do that at minimum wage? If it only takes him an hour to clean the parking lot, it's not like he's going to be making a 5 digit income.

It is exploitation, that the kid doesn't think so is the entire point, otherwise it wouldn't be exploitation.
      It doesn't sound like the manager would give the kid minimum wage for a hour. And frankly, while I think the guy is a total scum bag, he is correct in knowing that a normal kid could do the same job in 15 minutes. So if he was forced to give the kid minimum wage for an hour, for a job he thought should take 15 minutes... the kid wouldn't get the job.

And again... while many will think it's exploitation... and shouldn't be allowed... I just think of how much that "job" probably means to that kid. I also can think what it would do to the kid if some liberal lawyer type stepped in and the kid was no longer allowed to do it.

Yeah... civilization would be saved... and one kid would be screwed, by having something very important taken away from him for "his own good"...
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Do they put him on a leash?
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
          I've worked with "disadvantaged" young adults. It's very important to them to be able to "do something". It takes away a lot of their frustrations... and gives them a feeling of self worth. Something that is VERY IMPORTANT to them. Granted, as JT says... some might view it as unfair, and that he should be paid a minimum wage... but we all know if that was the case, the kid wouldn't have a "job"... so yeah, unfair... but in my opinion... a GREAT THING for the kid. I would hope nobody would step in to "protect his rights" and in reality, screw him.

Let the kid work for an hour a day for a drink and chips.
          Make him feel useful... Make his day.
          I haven't missed the point -- yes, this mentally disabled kid is going to gain a more positive self-esteem, but I still cannot agree with the amount this kid is being paid.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

It wouldn't kill the "boss" to pay the "dumb" kid minimum wage to clean the parking lot, what?, once or twice a week at minimum. It'd cost the business, in the United States at least, roughly $12 a week (so long as the kid isn't hired "officially") and the "dumb" kid could have a bit more money along with a sense of self-worth.

Just my two cents.

Gatekeeper
            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

It doesn't sound like the manager would give the kid minimum wage for a hour. And frankly, while I think the guy is a total scum bag, he is correct in knowing that a normal kid could do the same job in 15 minutes. So if he was forced to give the kid minimum wage for an hour, for a job he thought should take 15 minutes... the kid wouldn't get the job.
              Actually most kids would realize they're geting paid by the hour and take their time. They'd probably take three hours.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

And where is the boss going to get the money? Take cash out of the register?

Comment

Where did people get the "50 cents an hour" figure from? A soda & a bag of chips sounds more equivalent to $1.50 - $2.00 (depending on the size of each). Granted, that's still well below minimum wage, but given the circumstances I don't think it's horrible.

Thinking it's funny and all, well that part is a little ****ed up.

If the boss was a truly good guy, he might give the kid minimum wage (what is it in the U.S., $5/hour?), even if the kid takes 4x as long to do the job as a regular worker would.

So I don't see this as outstandingly good or bad. The (low) pay + the self esteem boost may = an overall positive thing.

Hey, this situation being in Germany and all, isn't there some type of government program that would encourage the boss to hire the kid formally and pay him minimum wage (like a tax break or something?)?

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                    but I still cannot agree with the amount this kid is being paid.
                    While I agree with you in theory... reality says he wouldn't have anything if he had to be paid more.

Now... If some scum bag tried to hire him for 20 hours a week for 50 cents an hour for a real job, I would be the first one to stand up and scream that the kid should be paid properly for the work the he does.

But that's not the case here. While the Bozo's motive might not be in the right place... he is doing that kid a great service by letting him "work". I'm thinking about the kid... not the universe or the big picture. I'm thinking about a disadvantaged youth who probably has few things in his life to be proud of... and not a lot a sense of self worth. The "job" is probably the most important thing in his life... and if he's thrilled to get a bag chips or a coke out of the deal... let him enjoy it.
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I haven't missed the point -- yes, this mentally disabled kid is going to gain a more positive self-esteem, but I still cannot agree with the amount this kid is being paid.
                      Good thing you aren't involved in the arrangement, then.

You disagree? It's not even your business!
                      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                      Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                        And where is the boss going to get the money? Take cash out of the register?
                        What's he doing now, even if it is just 50 cents? And it could be an independently owned store, you know.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                          Where did people get the "50 cents an hour" figure from? A soda & a bag of chips sounds more equivalent to $1.50 - $2.00 (depending on the size of each). Granted, that's still well below minimum wage, but given the circumstances I don't think it's horrible.

From the original poster. First, he says it is a bag of chips OR a pop. and he says it is 50cents worth. not completely accurate, since he's from germany, but obviously he means the smallest unit of each. Which are both under a dollar in Canada.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

While I agree with you in theory... reality says he wouldn't have anything if he had to be paid more.

Now... If some scum bag tried to hire him for 20 hours a week for 50 cents an hour for a real job, I would be the first one to stand up and scream that the kid should be paid properly for the work the he does.

But that's not the case here. While the Bozo's motive might not be in the right place... he is doing that kid a great service by letting him "work". I'm thinking about the kid... not the universe or the big picture. I'm thinking about a disadvantaged youth who probably has few things in his life to be proud of... and not a lot a sense of self worth. The "job" is probably the most important thing in his life... and if he's thrilled to get a bag chips or a coke out of the deal... let him enjoy it.
                            hmm . . .

I guess that makes sense.
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The boss gives the cash to the kid from his own privat pocket
                              If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

Well, look at Sava - he spends all his time posting here and he isn't reimbursed a dime. Isn't that, too, exploitation of the same sort as in the OP?

FREE SAVA!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X