McDonalds' new "Area Managers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McDonalds' new "Area Managers"

What's up with that? Did somebody higher up decide "Hey, if we give them the title of 'manager' we'll not have to give anybody raises this year!"?

The reason why I ask is because one of the dumbest people I know started working at Mickey D's a month ago and she came into the office yesterday (to pick up her baby that her mother was keeping) and was overjoyed that she was made "Area Manager." When I asked her a bit more it sounded like she was in charge of whatever area she was working in... ala, if she had the fry station, then she'd be the "Area Manager" of the fry station.

Or am I missing something here? Not working there I can't tell if this is a serious attempt to involve the employees in the business or just a cynical ploy to boost morale. Or both.

Anybody here with inside experience? Asher? Sava?
    Last edited by JohnT; September 18, 2003, 14:29.

Oooh, now the McD employees will start getting territorial.

Comment

I'm thinking that such a move might not be popular with people who are real managers, as such tends to downgrade their titles (and perceived status, and paychecks, etc).

Comment

Corporations are always going to do what the law allows in order to screw their workers. If it means more profits and its legal, they will do it, regardless of who is hurt.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I don't think this is really a move to "screw their workers", Sava, but rather a potentially misguided attempt to involve them more in the operations.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

I don't think this is really a move to "screw their workers", Sava, but rather a potentially misguided attempt to involve them more in the operations.
            Yeah -- because executives have the best interest of their employees at heart.

A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

A downgrading of titles means that 'most every title is downgraded, MrFun. The fact is, that if people (actual managers that is) are pissed about it, then everybody pretty much suffers except for the feelgood HR weenie that pushed this idea through to implementation - at least, until s/he gets shoved out the door, that is.

Comment

bull****... they tried the same **** to me when I worked at Pizza Hut back in the day. They "promoted" me and cut my pay. But I "defeated the system" and made back what I was owed.
                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Bestowing the title of "Manager" on somebody can typically be used to deprive them of overtime pay.

If McDonald's does that, though, they're running on unstable ground -- to be a proper "manager", one has to surprivise a certain number of other employees and has to devote a minimum amount of time to managerial tasks.

And making fries is not a managerial task.
                  the good reverend

Comment

McDonalds isn't doing that though... this girl got overtime last week, even though her "promotion" was well in effect.

Comment

Well, then maybe they're just trying to make employees feel better about themselves and give 'em something positive for the resume. Let's face it -- working at McDonald's isn't exactly impressive to future employers, but being a *manager* there is a bit better.
                      the good reverend

Comment

At Best Buy, managers make salary wages, not hourly wages. As such, they don't make overtime. However, during normal times they often work 60 hours per week, and during holiday seasons, often over 70-80.

That means their actual pay, computed out, is less per hour than many department supervisors (who ARE on hourly wages).
                        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

McDonalds isn't doing that though... this girl got overtime last week, even though her "promotion" was well in effect.
                          Well, Kudos then to McDonald's for being less of a dickhead greedy corporation than Tricon (Pizza Slut/Taco Hell/Kentucky Friend Chicken Holocaust).
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                            Well, Kudos then to McDonald's for being less of a dickhead greedy corporation than Tricon (Pizza Slut/Taco Hell/Kentucky Friend Chicken Holocaust).

A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

yeah I'm not too fond of my former employer
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X