Dan Simmons' new novel, Ilium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dan Simmons' new novel, Ilium

The title says it all - more than 5 years since his last science fiction book, Dan Simmons has recently released a new 2-part novel, which is just a joy to us Space Opera buffs. Here's the Amazon review:

Genre-hopping Dan Simmons returns to science fiction with the vast and intricate masterpiece Ilium. Within, Simmons weaves three astounding story lines into one Earth-, Mars-, and Jupiter-shattering cliffhanger that will leave readers aching for the sequel.
    On Earth, a post-technological group of humans, pampered by servant machines and easy travel via "faxing," begins to question its beginnings. Meanwhile, a team of sentient and Shakespeare-quoting robots from Jupiter's lunar system embark on a mission to Mars to investigate an increase in dangerous quantum fluctuations. On the Red Planet, they'll find a race of metahumans living out existence as the pantheon of classic Greek gods. These "gods" have recreated the Trojan War with reconstituted Greeks and Trojans and staffed it with scholars from throughout Earth's history who observe the events and report on the accuracy of Homer's Iliad. One of these scholars, Thomas Hockenberry, finds himself tangled in the midst of interplay between the gods and their playthings and sends the war reeling in a direction the blind poet could have never imagined.

Simmons creates an exciting and thrilling tale set in the thick of the Trojan War as seen through Hockenberry's 20th-century eyes. At the same time, Simmons's robots study Shakespeare and Proust and the origin-seeking Earthlings find themselves caught in a murderous retelling of The Tempest. Reading this highly literate novel does take more than a passing familiarity with at least The Iliad but readers who can dive into these heady waters and swim with the current will be amply rewarded.

Just bought it tonight and can't wait to dive in.

I am working on a little something about the Greek Gods myself, so I'd rather not touch it for a while. Cthulhu, I have Endymion sitting unread on my shelf. Should read that.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Comment

Anybody else read/have this book?

Comment

Rah has read it... and has given me the book to read. I'm in the middle of another series at the moment, so I should be starting it next week. He said it was good once you got past the firs 60 or so pages.
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

A number of people on Amazon commented on the number of typos in the book, including incorrect punctuation and doubled words (i.e. "... when he looked behind him him, he saw... " ).

Also, like Hyperion they say he just throws you in the story and gives the reader background material only when and if it applies to the situation at hand - no long expository passages explaining how society evolved this way, it just did and the reader has to accept it.

Comment

Yes, the reader has to take a lot for granted.
              The first 60 pages had me spinning and took me about 3 days to get through. (due to no desire to read a lot at one time since it was so tedious and hard to identify with the main characters.) But once you get by that, It's quite an entertaining read. You begin to real feel for the charaters. Lot's of action and some good plot twists. (which I won't spoil for anyone)

My only complaint is that toward the end, you become all too aware that it's going to be continued. (I didn't know that when I started reading)

And while knowledge of the stories he's retelling are usefull, they are not critical due to the way he tells it.

RAH
              Four and 1/2 stars out of 5.
              I really enjoyed it.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I didn't know that when I started reading

Hate to break it to you, but it's only mentioned twice on the dust jacket - once on the back, the other time on the inward flap at the back of the book.

Comment

Volume 1 of the Treekilling, Neverending Crapiad.

Comment

Huh? Don't like Simmons, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                      Hate to break it to you, but it's only mentioned twice on the dust jacket - once on the back, the other time on the inward flap at the back of the book.
                      Like myself... rah doesn't read the dust jacket on a hard back, or the back of a paperback. Too many times they give WAY TOO MUCH information about the book and actually ruin some of the surprises.

I mostly buy books simply because I trust and know the author... or because a friend recommended it.

I will check the publishing history inside the book to make sure it's not a rerelease under a new title... or that it isn't a bunch of short stories from publications I probably have already read... and to see if it's the third book in a series where I haven't read book one or two of... But I avoid reading anything else.
                      Keep on Civin'
                      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I don't really care about plot spoilers all that much... to me it's the journey, not the destination.

Comment

Don't like the Neverending Multiverse. Hate modern series. Die, die!

Comment

Live! Live!

Sorry for my troglodytian traits, but I love long hoary space operas.

Comment

I like Needle.

Comment

Working...
                              X