Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

congress to eat crow for stupid behavior?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• congress to eat crow for stupid behavior?

remember the "freedom fries" row? they're considering turing them back into "french fries".

all of this stupid energy, wasted. why not just drop the adjectives, and call them "fries"? is that really so hard to do? and besides, imagine the savings: six or seven letters!

the rest of the world has the right idea: calling them "potato fries".

U.S. putting 'French' back in fries?

Tuesday, September 16, 2003 Posted: 1624 GMT (12:24 AM HKT)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- To get international help to rebuild Iraq, Congress may have to eat some French fries and French toast, according to Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee.

Saying it is time to put aside differences with France, the Texas Democrat circulated a letter on Monday urging the U.S. House of Representatives to put back the word "French" in fries and toast on House cafeteria and dining hall menus.

Lawmakers ordered them renamed "Freedom" fries and "Freedom" toast last spring, reflecting anger at France for its opposition to the U.S.-led war to topple Saddam Hussein as Iraq's president.

But times have changed, Jackson Lee said, and now the Washington is trying to get France and other members of the United Nations to contribute money and troops to help stabilize Iraq and rebuild its devastated infrastructure.

"President Bush is now urging that all parties put aside 'past bickering,'" she said in her letter.

"A symbolic start to that effort" would be reinstating foods on the House menus "with their traditional 'American' names -- French toast and French fries."

Rep. Bob Ney, head of the House Administration Committee, ordered the changes in March.

The Ohio Republican took the action at the suggestion of Rep. Walter Jones, a North Carolina Republican.
    B♭3

No matter what country you are from I think it's always a good laugh when politicians do moronic stuff.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

seriously, i'm ashamed that we collectively voted these nutjobs into office.
        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
          No matter what country you are from I think it's always a good laugh when politicians do moronic stuff.
          Wise words
          Blah

Comment

i mean, sure, it's good for a laugh. and then you remember that elections are collective iq tests...

B♭3

Comment

Humour 1 / Past bickering 0

Statistical anomaly.
              The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

They are called chips anyway here, and are a proper size so they actually have some potato in them and aren't just fat with some starch in there somewhere.
                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

the rest of the world has the right idea: calling them "potato fries".
                  Ahh you mean pommes frites!

Comment

or, "kamja tikki"
                    B♭3

Comment

Believe me, Sheila Jackson Lee has no power in the congress. If it's still "freedom fries" (don't know as it is), then it will stay "freedom fries".
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

That's fine by me -- I'm taking advantage of those wonderful low-priced French wines!
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

ITYM "lower-priced" rather than "low-priced"?
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

yeah, we bought a caseful.
                            B♭3

Comment

DanS is right. French wine is not low priced it is simply lower priced then it used to be.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X