China's manned space flight program.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• China's manned space flight program.

The Chinese government has announced that they will launch a manned Shenzhou 5 rocket by the end of the year. The Chinese media is saying that the launch of a Chinese rocket will "symbolize China's significant breakthrough in space flight and aerospace business". While I applaud China for building a manned space flight mission I really don't see who this is anything more then a giant pissing context because they're just doing what the Soviets and Americans did 50 years ago. Also it's perfectly clear the EU and Japan could have had manned space programs decades ago if they wanted to but the truth is there is very little money to be made in such a program so they haven't bothered.

The main issue for the Chinese seems to be soothing their bruised egos about being a second rate power for most of the last millenium. Wouldn't the money be better spent by providing water and power to the hundreds of millions of Chinese peasants who make less then $200 per year?

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Also the Shenzhou 5 seems to be little more then a Chinese built copy of the Russian Soyuz rocket. Also two Chinese born American citizens have already flowen in Space as part of the American space program so wouldn't this mystery pilot the Chinese are throwing up into space be the 3rd Chinaman in space?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I agree that the money could be better spent elsewhere, but the propaganda of putting a man on the moon (or whatever) does have real value, if only to themselves. A common purpose around which to rally the country. Something to say "we have arrived from the desert."
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

MOST of the millineum?

China makes me feel good about USA problems.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Also it's perfectly clear the EU and Japan could have had manned space programs decades ago if they wanted to but the truth is there is very little money to be made in such a program so they haven't bothered.
          Who cares if manned space programs don't make money? The sooner we ditch the pipe-dream of making manned space flight profitable, the sooner we can colonise space.

Comment

Maybe China's new program will help to further space colonization (they certainly need more places to put people), but I doubt it.

Comment

I have a feeling China will be the dominant hyper-power after the US empire falls.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                Who cares if manned space programs don't make money? The sooner we ditch the pipe-dream of making manned space flight profitable, the sooner we can colonise space.
                The sooner it becomes profitable, the sooner your average corp will send people into space rather than relying on the government to send people there. Make it profitable and people will go there, its as simple as that.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Yes, it helps heal bruised egos. Ego is very important in Southeast Asia.
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Space colonisation is too long term for the average corp. Even space tourism requires the construction of orbital hotels which could take years. Long term colonisation, of say, Mars, would take lifetimes.

We need to stop thinking of space exploration as an economic opportunity, and start thinking of it as an imperative for the survival of our species.

Comment

we could probably get to Mars in 20 years if we put enough money into it...
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

More like 10, Sava, if we went the Mars Direct route.

Where are my Martian colonies? I was promised Martian colonies by 2000!
                        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Are you sure? I think it would take longer. Remember... we need to get them back from Mars. How do you propose to get astronauts off of Mars after they are on it. Mars' gravity is a little stronger than the Moons'. I'll compromise with you and say 15.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                            Are you sure? I think it would take longer. Remember... we need to get them back from Mars. How do you propose to get astronauts off of Mars after they are on it. Mars' gravity is a little stronger than the Moons'. I'll compromise with you and say 15.
                            Ten. Using Technology we already have. We don't even need any "Battlestar Galactica" ships, just a couple of super-heavy boosters.
                            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                              I have a feeling China will be the dominant hyper-power after the US empire falls.
                              My great great great great great great great great great great great great great grandchildren tremble with fear...
                              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                              X