No announcement yet.

Help with Japanese culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was actually the only representative from our family that made it over to my brother's wedding in Munich to his German fiance. Besides my brother, I was the only American out of ~ 200 guests.

I have to admit that it was a little intimidating. First and only time I have danced the waltz. Can't speak a word of German.

Where is this wedding being held? State-side or in Japan?
    Last edited by DanS; September 15, 2003, 16:46.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
      ...never complement any rice apart from Japanese rice
      "Man, this Uncle Bens is the ****! It especially goes good with Kikomans soy sauce!"

Comment

The wedding's in Arkansas. She won't have any family here. As a family, we tend to be over enthusiastic when greeting new members of the clan.

"Man, this Uncle Bens is the ****! It especially goes good with Kikomans soy sauce!"
        You're gonna end up getting shot, roundeye.

Comment

Overenthusiastic? Could you tell a story or two so that we can get the whole picture?
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Well, when I first brought my wife, then girlfriend, over to my parent's house for Thanksgiving dinner for the first time, she was swept into a whirlwind of activity. Each of my relatives were telling her jokes, relating family secrets, yelling at each other in a semijovial fashion while trying to monopolize time with her. They were just trying to make her feel like she fit in but it so completely overwhelmed her that it took almost a year before I could get her back around my family again.

Comment

and we have Japanese nationals that participate on this forum

No we don't, as far as I know.

She's painfully shy and already nervous.

So she fits the stereotype!

Yep.

remove your shoes when entering a house (facing inwards I think, maybe sideways to be safe)

Toes pointed toward the door.

What is it with asians and alcohol.

They're missing an enzyme Europeans have that breaks down alcohol. That's why they get drunk so easily.

Do mo arigato go zay mas ta is formal thank you.

She's his family, not the Emperor. "Arigatou" should suffice. If she's from Kansai, break out the "okini" and she will adore you.

It especially goes good with Kikomans soy sauce!

Kikkoman is the leading soy sauce company in Japan as well.

That's all. You should be fine, Harry. Even if you do make a gaffe, she'll more than likely let it slide since you're a gaijin.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Ki mi ga -- yo -- wa! Ye cho yi -- -- ya chi yo ni, sa za re, i shi no! I wa oo to na re te, ko ke no..mu -- su -- ma -- -- de!!!
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I hate that song...
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Wanna translate it for me?
                    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

No we don't, as far as I know.
                      Doesn't DaShi have Japanese parents or something?

Comment

Doesn't DaShi have Japanese parents or something?

I don't really know. He was the only one I wasn't sure about, but I seem to remember him not being Japanese (or at least a Japanese national) for some reason. I could be wrong, however.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I was under the impression that he's American. But his posting style is rather... ummm... brief. Almost like DinoDoc's.

Comment

Harry,

I'm sure she will love him long time

ack!
                            If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Update:

Satoko has been thoroughly Americanized. She still doesn't speak very good english but by the end of this weekend she had driven a truck, ridden horses, wrecked a truck, fed farm animals, pulled meat from a pit cooked hog, and been drug behind a speedboat at thirty miles per hour on an innertube. Plus, she got married in red, white, and blue sandals and can dance like The King. Good times.

Comment

Satoko has been thoroughly Americanized. She still doesn't speak very good english but by the end of this weekend she had driven a truck, ridden horses, wrecked a truck, fed farm animals, pulled meat from a pit cooked hog, and been drug behind a speedboat at thirty miles per hour on an innertube. Plus, she got married in red, white, and blue sandals and can dance like The King. Good times.

Wrecked a truck?

-Arrian
                                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Working...
                                X