Help with Japanese culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Japanese culture

My cousing is getting married this weekend to a girl from Japan. I know absolutely nothing about Japanese culture that I didn't learn from stereotypes and anime. I really would like to make her feel welcome to our family; does anyone have any suggestions that will keep me from making a total *** out of myself?

Post this on a Japanese forum.
    veni vidi PWNED!

Comment

Dont alter you behavior to suit the supposed diffrence of that girl. It always sucks if you are in some foreign country and as soon the locals find out where you are from, they try to be nice and caring about your culture, instead of behaving ****ing normal
      If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

That would be a great idea! One thought, though... I don't speak Japanese! Since this is Off-Topic, and we have Japanese nationals that participate on this forum, I figured this was as good a place as any to ask.

Comment

Give her a scale model of the Enola Gay.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Give her a scale model of the Enola Gay.
            I figured I'd just keep calling her Korean then ask her to lay some rail tracks...

I guess I just don't want to be a freak. She's painfully shy and already nervous.

Comment

If she bows to you don't try and look down her shirt.

by the way my name is not a racial slur + a pronoun... I always think of it as Jaffer, but anyway, don't introduce her to me JAP her.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

She's painfully shy and already nervous.
                So she fits the stereotype!

I would also suggest that you just behave as you would to somebody in the States. Dumb questions and everything. Apparently, she is already sufficiently comfortable with the way your cuz acts. And if she isn't comfortable with you, then at least your cuz will be able to tell her that this is the way you normally treat people.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

True enough.

Comment

Besides, if you act all nice-nice, but it comes across weird, then you have to act weird whenever you see her. Major downer.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Don't blow your nose in public; remove your shoes when entering a house (facing inwards I think, maybe sideways to be safe), and put on toilet shoes to go to the toilet if they've provided; don't stick your chopsticks vertically into your rice; never complement any rice apart from Japanese rice; eat everything they give you, whether it's wriggling or not; be prepared to go out drinking 'til 3am every night.
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

be prepared to go out drinking 'til 3am every night
                        Ah! Finally something I can identify with! Unfortunately, Sakato is a teetotaler and very anti-alcohol.

Comment

Originally posted by DanielXY
                          Dont alter you behavior to suit the supposed diffrence of that girl. It always sucks if you are in some foreign country and as soon the locals find out where you are from, they try to be nice and caring about your culture, instead of behaving ****ing normal
                          I HATE when people do that. Just act normal, with a little patience mixed in.
                          cIV list: cheats
                          Now watch this drive!

Comment

What is it with asians and alcohol.

My wife is totally anti-alcohol too. Not because of conviction but because she just doesn't like the stuff.

I really wouldn't care about this, except for the fact that I like red-wine so much.

Asmodean
                            Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Give a small gift (a big gift is embarassing).
                              Be polite and not too loud.
                              Learn some basic Japanese...I'll do some phonetic for you:
                              ha jee may mah-shtay, do zo your oh shee coo

Is basically the equivalent of "very nice to meet you" in a formal way.

Do mo arigato go zay mas ta is formal thank you.

Etc....good luck...she's just a regular gal, I'm sure.
                              Life and death is a grave matter;
                              all things pass quickly away.
                              Each of you must be completely alert;
                              never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Working...
                              X