Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who needs OBL when you have those nice guys....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who needs OBL when you have those nice guys....

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

German neo-Nazi threat 'rising'

The threat to Germany from neo-Nazis has risen to a new level, Interior Minister Otto Schily has warned.
    The discovery of a suspected plot to bomb a Munich Jewish centre during a visit by the German president has "dramatically confirmed" the danger to society, he said on Monday.

At least 10 suspects were held and up to 14kg (31lb) of explosives seized in police raids last week.

Officials believe plans were being made to bomb the centre on 9 November, when its foundation stone is due to be laid at a ceremony attended by President Johannes Rau, Bavarian governor Edmund Stoiber and Jewish leader Paul Spiegel.

The suspected attack would have coincided with the anniversary of the Nazis' 1938 Kristallnacht attacks, when thousands of Jewish targets were attacked and dozens murdered.

"One could (even) say there is a new quality of terror, though we know from previous times that in right-extremist circles bombing attacks were planned and carried out," Mr Schily told Germany's ZDF television, referring a 1980 attack that killed 13 people.

"There have been hints that right extremists are really a great potential danger for our society... and this has now been dramatically confirmed."

Mr Schily praised the police for their operation.

A "hit list" detailing other possible targets, including mosques, a Greek school and an Italian target, had been recovered, said Bavarian Interior Minister Guenther Beckstein.

The explosives included at least 1.7kg of TNT. Weapons, grenades and ammunition were also recovered.

German media reports at the weekend speculated on the possible phenomenon of a neo-Nazi "Brown Army Faction", referring to the disbanded left-wing Red Army Faction.

"Faced with the flood of pictures from the Middle East, we had forgotten what extremists could also plan here at home," wrote commentator Guido Heinen in Die Welt.

"German political terrorism is back."

The magazine Focus said the internet had apparently been used to collect information on Munich's religious centres.
    Surprising, Nazis use the internet too

There was an interesting comment on tv news saying that the nazi guys are basically split into two different factions when it comes to terror attacks - one side admires the Arab terrorists for their doings, the other side would rather stay calm to avoid action against them until the politcal climate is more in favour of their ideology.
    Blah

Neo-Nazis will also get 60+ per cent of popular vote in next Sunday's election in Bavaria

Comment

No, these are old Nazis
      Blah

Comment

I thought the Christian Social Union tended to win elections in Bavaria.

You guys arent suggesting that the CSU is Nazi, now are you?
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

No, we were joking
          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
            No, we were joking

Washington Post. April 10. 2002:

'The opposition's candidate for chancellor in national elections this September took a more traditional line during a recent interview with American journalists.

"The sovereignty, the right of Israel to exist, is unimpeachable, and that includes the right to life without terror," said Edmund Stoiber, governor of Bavaria state and leader of the Christian Social Union, the Christian Democrats' sister party in Bavaria. "Therefore, we do not confuse, as others do, cause and effect."'

Stoiber
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

"The sovereignty, the right of Israel to exist, is unimpeachable, and that includes the right to life without terror,"
              It´s not that this is somehow questioned here by any serious political force/party
              Blah

Comment

It´s not that this is somehow questioned here by any serious political force/party
                Stoiber: "Therefore, we do not confuse, as others do, cause and effect."'

Which was said in response to these actions

"Germany, long Israel's most steadfast supporter in Europe, has suspended arms sales to the Jewish state to protest its military action in the West Bank, officials here said today. At the same time, some senior German politicians have used harsh language to publicly criticize a country that the Holocaust legacy has often put almost beyond reproach.

In interviews today, officials in the government of Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder declined to use the word embargo to describe its action. But the government has refused to act on planned weapons sales to Israel, effectively suspending them, and other European countries have taken similar actions, officials here said."

Now y'all are entitled to pursue whatever policies you choose, and to hold different positions on Israel. But when a German politician takes a position that is more favorable to Israel, at a time when Jews there are being murdered by people filled with hate, and when that politician is later jokingly called a Nazi, (by folks who think its fairly nasty for, say, an Italian to call a German pol a Nazi) I feel its right to object.

Yay for Stoiber, a German leader who believes Jews have the right to defend themselves.

Comment

"The discovery of a suspected plot to bomb a Munich Jewish centre during a visit by the German president has "dramatically confirmed" the danger to society, he said on Monday.

At least 10 suspects were held and up to 14kg (31lb) of explosives seized in police raids last week. "

hnnn, These days we expect that more in France than in Germany.
                  Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                  Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                  "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                  From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                    In interviews today, officials in the government of Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder declined to use the word embargo to describe its action. But the government has refused to act on planned weapons sales to Israel, effectively suspending them, and other European countries have taken similar actions, officials here said."
                    Criticism towards Israel or restrictions on weapons sales do not change the basic position.

Now y'all are entitled to pursue whatever policies you choose, and to hold different positions on Israel. When a German position takes a position that is more favorable to Israel, at a time when Jews there are being murdered by people filled with hate, and when that politician is later jokingly called a Nazi, (by folks who think its fairly nasty for, say, an Italian to call a German pol a Nazi) I feel its right to object.
                    That is all fine, but is is a bit like telling people that the earth isn´t flat. We are not official leaders of Germany, so it is a bit different if I make a non-pc joke on an internet forum (about guys from my own country), or if an elected leader does the same about another country in the EP, hm?

If you go into a riot everytime something similar happens here on the OT you are a busy man.
                    Blah

Comment

Criticism towards Israel or restrictions on weapons sales do not change the basic position.

That is all fine, but is is a bit like telling people that the earth isn´t flat. We are not official leaders of Germany, so it is a bit different if I make a non-pc joke on an internet forum (about guys from my own country), or if an elected leader does the same about another country in the EP, hm?

If you go into a riot everytime something similar happens here on the OT you are a busy man.
                      Nah, I dont follow all non-PC jokes on Poly. And I dont mean to pick on you personally, Bebro.

I looked at this cause it was about OBL. Then saw something about real neo-Nazis - Germans are stopping them, good.

Im living in a world where there are real organized groups of people that want to kill Americans, and Jews. (The most prominent leader of such a group was named in your thread title) As both an American and a Jew I consider myself targeted. I live in a world where a not inconsiderable number of folks in Europe like to accuse the leaders of the US, of Israel, and of such European political parties as are friendly to the US and Israel of being Nazis, fascists, etc. I tend to be rather sensitive about this.

I say this as one who has criticized folks who called Abu Mazen a Nazi.

Comment

Sonntag rückt näher. Zweidrittelmehrheit im Landestag oder nicht?

Comment

Working...
                        X