No announcement yet.

Should I get a new G5 Mac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're going to buy a Mac, the only one worthwhile for your money will be a PowerBook.

I don't see the point in the G5, aside from being finally up to speed with mid-range PCs now, and low-end PCs in a few months.

If you want 64-bits, get an Athlon 64.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
      i don't know if its a case of "prefer" based on tastes; it's probably a preference derived from what they learned and what's most common.
      Right, because ease of use is a matter of taste as well.

Most of us probably find the idea of one menubar for all open applications, up at the top of the screen regardless of where the window it control is, harder to use than how Windows does it.

Some of us find the idea of randomly mixing running and non-running programs with the dock (without any text labels describing what it is) harder to use.

Some of us find the idea of not listing active windows, just active programs, harder to use.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I agree with Asher, the only Macs worth the money are the powerbooks (and they are very good).
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Instead of Kazaa you could use Gnutella or Hotlines (an oldie, but a goodie)
          be free

Comment

So if you go PC, are you just gonna tell em you don't want a G5, you want a PC?
            be free

Comment

Havent read the entire thread, but just so you know: Civ 2 stuff runs fine on macs...

As long as you have the game (civ 2 gold for mac isnt expensive though).

(With one exception, you need to drop image and audio files on a converter program available here on polly. Macs obviously has no problems with Wavs or Gifs, but for some reason the games programers thought it'd be neater if the mac version used "pict" and "Aif" files ). You also need to change one line in the game.txt if included in a PC scenario.
              No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Mac versions that I know of:

Trillian - Sadly I don't think so
                Winamp - No but there are equivalents
                Word - Yup
                Excel - Yup
                Outlook - Not sure, I think so, if you really want to use it. Otherwise there are loads of programs like it...
                Adobe Photodeluxe - Not sure, most of Adobe's program exists, but I am not sure what photodeluxe is.
                Winzip/WinRar - "Zipit" works just fine for this
                Callwave - No idea what this is.
                Audiocatalyst (or other program to make MP3s from CDs) - I know there are programs that do this. Never used one myself though (if soundapp isn't capable of it that is).
                Kazaa - There are file sharing clients for mac, I'm using one called "Poisened"
                Print Shop - No idea what it is.
                Wordpad/Notepad - Yup, not called the same thing but it ships with the system.
                Adobe reader - Yup
                AOL - Yup
                IE - Yup
                IRC/ICQ -Yup

Games:
                Colonization - Yes
                MOO1 - Yes
                Civ2 - Yes
                AoE2 - Yes
                UO - What does UO stand for?
                Baldur's Gate - Yes
                Alpha Centuri - Yes
                CtP - Yes (though not CtP 2)
                Doom2 - I think so
                X-Wing - Not sure
                NES and SNES Emulators - Quite sure there are some, don't use any myself though.

I have mac versions of al the games listed as Yes except for CtP btw
                No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

uo == ultima online.
                  B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
                    I like the cake and eat it too idea.
                    Don't listen to Asher's ranting, he just has G5 envy.

But I'm gonna list off a few programs here that I use on a regular basis. Are there mac versions?
                    Here are the ones I know of..

Trillian - Fire; Proteus; MSN Messnger; Yahoo Messenger; ichat (AIM), etc.

Winamp - itunes is way better

Word
                    Excel
                    Outlook - all in Office X (Outlook is called Entourage on the Mac)

Winzip/WinRar - Stuffit

Audiocatalyst (or other program to make MP3s from CDs) - itunes again

Kazaa - there is an OS mac Kazaa client called Poisoned

Wordpad/Notepad - Text edit; Stickies

Adobe reader - Yes

AOL - Yes

IE - Yes, but Camino, Safari and Omniweb are better

IRC/ICQ - Yes; loads of clients

Games:
                    Colonization - I think so
                    MOO1 - ?
                    Civ2 - Yes
                    AoE2 - Yes I have it
                    UO - ?
                    Baldur's Gate - Yes I have it
                    Alpha Centuri - Yes I have it
                    CtP - Yes
                    Doom2 - Yes
                    X-Wing - don't know
                    NES and SNES Emulators - don't know

Hmm, I guess I don't use an extensive amount of programs. I suppose I could find replacements for all the non-game programs I use. My question though is whether files would be compatable from my current versions and a Mac version. I've got a lot of files that I don't want to loose, like Word docs, Excel sheets, MP3s, pictures, movies, especially logs from Trillian, ICQ and IRC.
                    Apart from the chat logs (which I don't know about) all of these will work. You may need to download the open source Movie Player for OS X to play some movies (free and good).

Looks like you shouldn't have to worry.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                      uo == ultima online.
                      Not as far as I know. Mac people play Lineage which is same sort.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                        Don't listen to Asher's ranting, he just has G5 envy.
                        HAH.

My new rig I'm buying at the end of the month will have a maximum TOTAL noise of 25dB (a third of the noise the G5s generate).

It'll have an Athlon 64 FX-51 (quite a bit faster than the G5s -- it's a 2.2GHz Opteron), 1GB of dual-channel 400MHz DDR (ECC), a 256MB Radeon 9900 Pro (R360).

And it can actually play Half-Life 2.

Envy I have not.

Did I mention my system will still cost considerably less than a G5?

Comment

NES and SNES Emulators - Quite sure there are some, don't use any myself though.

There are many. Emulation.net is the best site on the web for Mac emulators. You'll find everything you need there (except ROMs).
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Games:
                            Colonization - I think so
                            MOO1 - ?
                            Civ2 - Yes
                            AoE2 - Yes I have it
                            UO - ?
                            Baldur's Gate - Yes I have it
                            Alpha Centuri - Yes I have it
                            CtP - Yes
                            Doom2 - Yes
                            X-Wing - don't know
                            NES and SNES Emulators - don't know

If you went mac, wouldn't you need to actually buy a new version of all these games you already own?
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

"You'll find everything you need there (except ROMs)."

And a message to my PM box from you would help me rectify the needed rom problem...
                              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                              Drake Tungsten
                              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                              Albert Speer

Comment

Working...
                              X