Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First, my mstake, Taba, not Talba: a few links:

A nice mix of biases.

The thing is, at some point, a palestinian leader will have to go to the palestinians and try to seel them whatever agreement was reached, just as the israeli PM will have to go to the Israeli people and sell the plan. Arafat is too weak, becuase whatever deal is reached will make serious compromises, and it will take much political will to do so: it will entail immense risk, and that type of risk Arafat does not make. The thing is, little is done to attempt to create this srt of pal leadership, and as along as both sides buy into a different section of the Arafat myth, such a leadership will not come to power. And if one must work with Aaraft in some ways to cajole such a leadership into plcae, well, then it must be done.
    Last edited by GePap; September 12, 2003, 17:11.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Absurd.

On what legitimate grounds did Ariel Shraon and his cronies made this decision? Absolutely none. If the Pals and Israelis had switched places, and now the Pals decided to throw Sharon out of the country, what would the Israelis think?

Once again, this clearly shows that the Israeli government is not viewing the Pals as their equal but as second class citizens, people to dictate terms to.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

And if you put your hatred for Arafat aside, what will this decision bring ?
        Spiffor, you gotta be kidding. In the famous words of the Vietnam anti-war movement,

It will give peace a chance.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

[SIZE=1]
          For the love of god I don't get why Nethanyahu and Sharon took so much time avoiding getting the old hag out of here.
          Bush.

The news today several times noted Bush's opposition to removing Arafat. They further noted consultations between Washington and Israel after the annoucement of the Israeli decision. They further noted that after those consultations that Israel would not move anytime soon to implement its decision.

Reading between the lines, Bush came down hard on the Sharon government.

Bush's position will undoubtedly be enormously popular among the Democrats and leftists across the world. He, though, is massively out of step with Republicans and conservatives.

Who is this man, Bush? Is he a closet liberal?
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Originally posted by Sirotnikov
            That is so true.
            And you know what?
            It has been tried between 1993-2000.

When the peace process worked ? Well, I assume it pleads in tha favor of what I say

And you know what?
            The "moderate palestinian government" spit in our face by allowing the fanatics to control the street and create a wave of terror, thus fighting a proxy-war on Israel, while appearing clean to the out-side world.

Yes. That's because Arafat is an ******* and a thug. I am very much in favor of him losing power. I'm merely saying than his only expulsion from power will NOT be enough, if you can't allow his sucessors to be "moderate". I'm also telling this money should somehow bribe the PA government into actively fughting terrorism, and into changing its propaganda: Arafat got his support on his historical 'legitimacy', and on the hatred for the Jews. He actively promoted hatred.
            The 'moderate' government should be heavily helped / bribed so that radicalism stops to be vital for it, and even so that radicalism becomes dangerous for it (because it would stop the funding/bribing machine).

We won't fall for that crap again. They had their real chance.

Thank you. You just said you want the war to last forever

For god's sake - do you remember Rabin? You liked him right? You trust his judgement?

Well shortly before being killed, he began telling people close to his cabinet that unless Arafat changed his ways soon, he will be flying back to Tunis on a missile.

Yes, I like Rabin. And yes, he was right when telling Arafat is a dangerous guy for the peace.
            Now, he is far from being the only reason for the war. Palestinians live in fear and disgust as much as Israelis do. You may tell all you want "we do everything possible to avoid civilian deaths" (which I trust), it doesn't change the basic reality that a Palestinian can fear of being crippled or dead when he leaves for work in the morning. It doesn't change the fact the Palestinians suffer from a all-day-long humiliation.
            Arafat is an ******* and profits from this situation, so he'll do nothing to change it. Islamists profit hugely from the situation, and they'll do everything to worsen it. A replacing government (especially Israel-sponsored) will be too weak to adress it. Only Israel could do something about it.

I know it's not your job, but if you're the only ones who can do it, you should swallow your pride and do it. It is in your interest as much as the Pals'.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
              Spiffor, you gotta be kidding.
              I am not kidding. I can't stand the guy as well, since this ******* is a corrupt thug whose support comes from hatred. I know this guy will do nothing serious for peace, as peace could endanger his individual power.

But this decision in itself is absurd. I'm all for making Arafat irrelevant. And as GePap brilliantly pointed out, this decision will not make him irrelevant at all.
              Even worse, if Arafat leaves a power vacuum, there will be a terrible fight for power between factions. It'll relieve Israel for a short time (since it'll be a Palestinian Civil / semi Civil war), but the result will be at best a military power, at worst the Islamists on the Ramallah throne.

And it'll be the occupation all over again. We'd be 30 years back, but with more hatred and bigotry on both sides
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

All this about Arafat is true, but the problem is that the status quo is NOT working, Arafat does NOT want peace, and Terrorism is NOT slowing down. There is no GOOD decision that Israel can make. The Pals have staked out a position that only allows peace with the destruction of Israel. Arafat IS the idealogical leader. They only have three choices...1.)Take some kind of action and try to get through the reprecussions, 2.) Do nothing and continue to suffer terrorism hoping for Arafat to die off naturally, or 3.) Give up.

At least they are trying to do something with the situation. Not sure it will work, but they have to be frustrated.
                "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                  At least they are trying to do something with the situation. Not sure it will work.
                  This is precisely why I oppose this decision. It is rushed and not weighted enough. I prefer to take some more time so that good decisions can be taken. A wrong decision is not beter than no decision at all.
                  If Israel has a plan for the succession, and how to make the successor both cooperative and supported by the population, I'm all for it. If such a plan doesn't exist, this decision is simply wrong

The idea of promoting Abu Mazen was great. In the end, it failed because Abu Mazen was shackled by the impression eh gave that he was "the man of the Israelis". Had Israel given him more (financial) strength to please the population, he might have won the hearts of the Pals

Comment

Arafat has to go, simply because he represents struggle, not compromise. Exile isn't the answer however as it simply gives him an opportunity to continue to suffer for the Palestinian cause in public.

Best answer? Capturing him won't be easy and could end as a heroic last stand and a martyrdom. So imprisonment is out, even capture and exile is tricky. He can't be legitimately replaced as he can block that. So treat him like the Israelis would treat any other terrorist leader.
                    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I am not sure of this decision. It's been all too clear that it is Arafat who torpedoes the efforts of people like Dahlan to make stuff work. OTOH, I am somewhat doubtful that he does this for reasons other than to maintain his personal prestige.

I think we should support Abu Mazen in a coupe.
                      urgh.NSFW

Comment

You could always exile him to the isle of Elba in the Mediterrean.
                        "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                        "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                        "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

cool. still... i bet Arafat ends up dead.
                          Last edited by My Wife Hates CIV; September 12, 2003, 10:55.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                            All this about Arafat is true, but the problem is that the status quo is NOT working, Arafat does NOT want peace, and Terrorism is NOT slowing down. There is no GOOD decision that Israel can make. The Pals have staked out a position that only allows peace with the destruction of Israel. Arafat IS the idealogical leader. They only have three choices...1.)Take some kind of action and try to get through the reprecussions, 2.) Do nothing and continue to suffer terrorism hoping for Arafat to die off naturally, or 3.) Give up.

At least they are trying to do something with the situation. Not sure it will work, but they have to be frustrated.
                            OR, they could return to working with the PA, accepting that Arafat remains the head but ignoring him, and doing things to help build the political strength of another individual who can then challange Arafat for the leadership and win the backing of the Palestinians from Arafat.

Not hitting Hamas is not the same as running Hamas: the Islamist militants act outside of Aarafts control and if anyone gains from an Israeli obcession with him it is them..just look, two years of attacking the PA, and now even if the PA wanted to take oin Hamas they are much weaker than before while hamas retains its political popularity.
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

What took them so long. Arrafat is untrustworthy. Deal with him they way you would a snake. disdain the Euro ennui-loaded appeasement bug.

Comment

The No.1 reason that I don't like this decision is that it won't be carried out.
                                urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                                X