Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ENORMEOUS medical breakthrough..... artificial(plastic) nerves!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENORMEOUS medical breakthrough..... artificial(plastic) nerves!

for some reason when apolyton is auto-linking my link, it is screwing it up.... put a http://www. before the following:

thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=74375&command=displayContent&sourceNode=73927&contentPK=6989026

PLASTIC NERVES MAKE BIONIC MAN A REALITY

11:00 - 10 September 2003

The Bionic Man, the half-human, half-machine hero of the eponymous TV series, will soon become a reality, scientists revealed last night. Recent advances in micro-engineering have enabled researchers to rebuild parts of the central nervous system - the network of electrical fibres which sends commands to different groups of muscles in the arms, legs and other parts of the body.

British scientists are already working on developing artificial limbs with synthetic, plastic nerves which are spliced into nerve endings on the stump of the old leg, using the same techniques as for developing computer chips.

In America a man has been fitted with a robotic arm and hand which is wired into his central nervous system. He can move his limb and fingers around and pick up objects.

Meanwhile, in Portugal, a totally blind man has been fitted with artificial eyes which send electrical impulses directly into his brain.

The latest research was reported yesterday at the annual meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science. Dr Michael Pycraft Hughes, an expert in biomedical engineering at Surrey University, said: "You could say that we have the technology to rebuild people, but not quite like the Bionic Man because it's not better, stronger, faster.

"We're learning to use technology to make copies of nature, but the copies are not necessarily as good as the real thing yet."

Dr Pycraft Hughes has helped develop advanced prosthetic legs with titanium 'bones' which fuse to the bone in the wearer's stump.

Trials with more than 20 people without legs in Britain have shown they can move around much more naturally than users of conventional prosthetic limbs.

He is now experimenting with development of synthetic nerves which could be spliced into the nerves of a leg stump so that the wearer's new limb could be made touch sensitive.

And in the past five years hundreds of patients in Britain, Sweden and America have been fitted with advanced cochlear implants, or artificial ears, which have allowed totally deaf children and adults to hear for the first time.

Cochlear implants work by converting sound waves into electrical impulses and linking up with the nerves in the brain.
    Last edited by Vesayen; September 11, 2003, 12:35.

That's a newspaper article? Why hasn't CNN or the BBC picked this up?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I dont know, do they always publish everything first?

Comment

I do't know about CNN or the BBC, but Paul Harvey picked it up on his noon broadcast.
        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

They usually pick things up within at least 1 year from science journals actually publishing things...

We have the technology, we can rebuild him...

nananananana...
          Monkey!!!

Comment

extras

Could this be used to provide extra arms and legs to those who still have their full complement? That would be cool.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

"...and in this corner we have PCHANG THE THREE ARMED MAN!!!" (crowd cheers)
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Cool! Cyborgs are only a decade away!

And then the bionic watermelon!!
                I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Yes....this will serve The Plan nicely.
                  Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                  -Richard Dawkins

Comment

advantage

I think I'd have an incredible advantage boxing with 6 arms.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

This is great news. That's the first step to a real human / machine interface. With the progresses of genetics, we mankind are really taking our own fate and our own shape in our hands
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I don't think this could be used to add extra fingers, much less extra arms. The human brain evolved to control two arms, each with a hand and five fingers.
                        American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                        I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                        Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                        XGalaga.

Comment

Adapt

We could learn, couldn't we?

Comment

Re: Adapt

Originally posted by pchang
                            We could learn, couldn't we?
                            I think it unlikey for us adults, but children could be augmented and they'd probably learn to use it.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The other problem is, where do you attach the extra appendage? Where do you hook it into the brain?
                              The reason why it is possible to replace lost limbs is because there is already a nerve there that hooks into the brain. All that is needed is for the appendage to be hooked to the nerve. A new appendage would require a new nerve.
                              American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                              I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                              Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                              XGalaga.

Comment

Working...
                              X