State Department issues a very strange terror alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Department issues a very strange terror alert

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The State Department has issued a "worldwide caution," warning U.S. citizens and employees of the threat of more terror attacks on the second anniversary of the September 11 attacks, saying there are "increasing indications that al Qaeda is preparing to strike U.S. interests abroad."

The State Department also said the terror network is pursuing actions "more devastating" than the deadly plane hijackings two years ago.

"The U.S. Government remains deeply concerned about the security of U.S. citizens overseas. U.S. citizens are cautioned to maintain a high level of vigilance, to remain alert and to take appropriate steps to increase their security awareness," the caution said.

Issued Wednesday, the caution also said U.S. government facilities "remain at a heightened state of alert" and "may temporarily close or suspend public services from time to time to assess their security posture."

The caution said that over the last few months, al Qaeda and its "associated organizations" hit targets in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; Casablanca, Morocco; and Indonesia.

"We, therefore, assess that European or Eurasian locations could be venues for the next round of attacks, possibly to closely coincide with the anniversary of the 11 September attack."

Al Qaeda, the caution states, "will strive for new attacks that will be more devastating than the September 11 attack, possibly involving nonconventional weapons such as chemical or biological agents. We also cannot rule out the potential for Al Qaeda to attempt a second catastrophic attack within the U.S."

It said the tactics could include "suicide operations, hijackings, bombings or kidnappings. These may also involve commercial aircraft and threats to include conventional weapons, such as explosive devices."

Civilian as well as official targets could be threatened.

"These may include facilities where American citizens and other foreigners congregate or visit, including residential areas, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, schools, hotels, outdoor recreation events or resorts and beaches. U.S. citizens should remain in a heightened state of personal security awareness when attendance at such locations is unavoidable."

The caution supersedes an earlier one issued July 29 and expires on February 10.
    No raise in the Fatherland Security Terror Level?

And what exactly do they mean by "attendance at such locations is unavoidable"? Are we supposed to attempt as much as we can not to go to school or church? Cause I live at school...that's pretty unavoidable.
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

So if I go to the Sears Tower today and see a 757 heading straight for me, I should be vigile?
    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

this is annoying, these terror alerts.

mom telling me to be careful when i go out does so much more than these nutjobs in the DoHS.
      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
        vigile?
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I'm going to issue an alert on my spelling... this alert won't specify any particular instance of misspellings, but you should be cautious in your daily lfie and beware of possible spelling errors.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

State Department issues a very strange terror alert

Hmm, I think every one that they've issues has sounded strange and vague.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

every terror alert that the administration has put out has been vague.

"we have information that leads us to believe that al-qaeda may be planning an attack."

what, am i supposed to be more vigilant because of that? sure, i'll keep my eyes peeled for planes flying into towers and suspicious arab-looking people in airports, only to get shot because some nutjob has road rage.

these terror alerts are worthless to non-emergency services americans.
              B♭3

Comment

This sounds like just another "insurance policy" warning. If something should happen then they can say they had non-specific intelligence but did issue a warning. Yawn
                Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I think they're tools to keep people in line, and not question the Administration's policy regarding the WoT and the Patriot Act. Fear puts people off balance and, in a machiavellian way, forces more dependence on leaders.
                  "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

cya. everything in bureaucracy boils down to cya.
                    B♭3

Comment

I wonder if they'll have another bomb scare today to complement the one they had last week
                      If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Working...
                      X