Crime on your campus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime on your campus?

i happened to be looking at this booklet that the campus police at my college sent me where it lists the statistics for various crimes...

apparently, in 2000, there was 285 cases of theft on campus and 267 more cases on the surrounding public areas... 47 in residence halls... 25 forcible sex offenses... 8 aggravated assaults... 29 burglaries... 39 robberies... 32 auto thefts...

do your colleges clock similiar numbers or do i happen to be going to the crime college? nearly 600 thefts per year seems pretty damn high...
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Never trust crime stats that the college puts out. Most likely they'll be whitewashed to make the school look "safe". The real stats are probably appreciably higher. There are many cases of theft, rape, assaults and other minor crimes that I've seen gone unreported either because the RA/Authority figure deals with it informally or is too lazy to do the paperwork.

Look at the crime stats available from the police if you want a view of the neighborhood.
    If you look around and think everyone else is an *******, you're the *******.

Comment

Not sure of the exact statistics, but Pitt is for the most part a safe campus, I don't know of any of my friends who don't feel safe walking around it at night.
      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

How many people go to your college? Stats are meaningless without that.
        Visit First Cultural Industries
        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I looked up 'crime' in my campus directory and found it listed right next to 'none'. But then I go to college in iowa, so my experience might be different.
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

Crimes of a certain sort -- burglary, robbery, rape, assault -- are generally high on college campuses, because college students tend to be such naive idiots and therefore easy prey, especially if they grew up in relatively crime-free areas like suburbia. Your stats may be worse because Temple's in a crappy part of town, but you're in good company; the same is true for Yale, Columbia, and the University of Chicago.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

uchicago's police force is the second largest police force in illinois, composed primarily of off-duty chicago cops. chicago cops aren't people you mess with. they cover all of the campus, and then a large area of hyde park and all the way down to 63rd.

the university itself goes to great lengths to inform people and give them some street smarts. crime is down in that area; so if you're not stupid, you'll be fine there.

catholic university is also in a extremely crappy part of town. also, for a while, you had foreign students walk out the back way from gatech, and end up mugged or dead. that's not so much the case anymore.
              B♭3

Comment

I find it interesting that the statistics don't list drug and alcohol related crimes.
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

at my school, whenever theres a crime, we get these fliers all over campus.

there weren't too many, and the ones that did occur were gang violence / initiation.

in fact, it's initation season right now for the gangs here in Troy. There was an assault last week, some random african american kid punched an RPI student in the face and ran.

"I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                  - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

Go to Temple Speer?

That's one of the most crime ridden campuses in the world, isn't it?

A friend did his PhD there a few years ago. He liked it.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

In Stuttgart:
                      No crime that I can think of, except for the occasional theft. Basic prudence (locking the door when you're away) prevents most of it. I know one girl, however, who had her hi-fi device stolen.

In Bordeaux:
                      Little criminality due to the students. However, gypsies have settled the campus, and they regularily breach the property of the university (when they plug their water conducts or electric wires to the supply systems of the university). There are rumors of outright theft because of the Gypsies, but I don't know the extent of truth there is to that.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

catholic university is also in a extremely crappy part of town
                        I'll vouch for your there. Mugged at gunpoint on campus.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

sorry to hear that.

yeah, when i was in dc, i wanted to visit it.

we locked the doors, raised the windows, and didn't stop--we treated it like gary.
                          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

I'll vouch for your there. Mugged at gunpoint on campus.
                            so what happened after you kung-fu'd his ass?
                            "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
                            - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I woke up from the fantasy.
                              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                              X