Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boring Game Thread: Best five songs to rock out to from....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boring Game Thread: Best five songs to rock out to from....

Canada!!!!!

1. Taking Care of Business - Bachman Turner Overdrive
    2. American Woman - The Guess Who
    3. Summer of 69 - Bryan Adams
    4. The Hockey Song - "Stompin" Tom Connors
    5. Hey Hey My My (Into the Black) - Neil Young

I took Canada because it's hard. I chose old songs because I'm a bit of a geezer and because all new Canadian rock music is crap.

The rules are that the band/musician must be from the country you live in (if in the US, your state) and no one is allowed to use a song already mentioned for the same country.

Can't wait to see what the Finns come up with
    Only feebs vote.

Oh sure expect me to come up with five songs from Utah. I don't even know five Osmond or She-daisy songs combined!

ACK!
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Re: Boring Game Thread: Best five songs to rock out to from....

Originally posted by Agathon
      Can't wait to see what the Finns come up with
      1. Rijjiniiininnii Astrakkakakala by Maattii Filmaaviii
      2. Burduduekrkrkuuueeeraaag by Seemeori Dooskooloo
      3. Âëäöüöööüï by Trrilvilloaoanosssssosssa Nood

etc.
      Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
        Oh sure expect me to come up with five songs from Utah. I don't even know five Osmond or She-daisy songs combined!

ACK!
        Sucks to be you.

edit: Boris, I don't know if he's on the list of conductors you pathologically hate for no real reason, but Teldec have just re-released Harnoncourt's Beethoven Cycle at budget price (I got it for $C40) - a refreshing change from most cycles and a worthy addition to anyone's colletion.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Sucks to be you.
          Not as much, I don't live there anymore.

ACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski

Not as much, I don't live there anymore.

ACK!
            It's supposed to be from where you live now. Do I sound like a Canuck to you? There's no doot aboot it, I only live there.

Don't tell me, you live in Wyoming.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

edit: Boris, I don't know if he's on the list of conductors you pathologically hate for no real reason, but Teldec have just re-released Harnoncourt's Beethoven Cycle at budget price (I got it for $C40) - a refreshing change from most cycles and a worthy addition to anyone's colletion.
              Which conductors have I ever said I hated without providing a real reason? I've provided more real reasons for my disliking a certain Nazi conductor than someone else has provided real reasons for disliking Bruckner.

I have no general objection to Harnoncourt, although I think he's often idiosyncratic for the sake of just being so rather than for any genuine artistic purpose. Not to the extent of, say, a phoney like Celibidache, however. Overall, he's decent, if not too remarkable.

I've yet to find any recordings to ween me away from Kleiber, Furtwangler, and Klemperer in terms of interpretation.
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

It's supposed to be from where you live now. Do I sound like a Canuck to you? There's no doot aboot it, I only live there.

Don't tell me, you live in Wyoming.
                Same thing as Wyoming, only warmer.

ACK!

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Which conductors have I ever said I hated without providing a real reason? I've provided more real reasons for my disliking a certain Nazi conductor than someone else has provided real reasons for disliking Bruckner.

I have no general objection to Harnoncourt, although I think he's often idiosyncratic for the sake of just being so rather than for any genuine artistic purpose. Not to the extent of, say, a phoney like Celibidache, however. Overall, he's decent, if not too remarkable.

I've yet to find any recordings to ween me away from Kleiber, Furtwangler, and Klemperer in terms of interpretation.
                  I was taking the piss.

Anyway, I enjoy those three (esp. the first two) but it doesn't stop me from liking others.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

But it's hard to listen to Beethoven 5 - 1 and not get the tremendous, titanic climax that Furtwangler builds in the coda. Accurate to the composer's intent? Not remotely, but oh is it powerful!
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

But it's hard to listen to Beethoven 5 - 1 and not get the tremendous, titanic climax that Furtwangler builds in the coda. Accurate to the composer's intent? Not remotely, but oh is it powerful!
                      in mono.... ...I don't have that one, although I have No. 9 w/ the Bayreuth Festspiele. Kleiber's 5th is still my favourite.

The only mono 9 I have is Toscanini's (which sounds worse than most old recordings).

You're talking to the guy who has 4 complete sets (Wand, Karajan, Gardiner and Harnoncourt) and a large collection of single discs of the Beethoven Symphonies.

edit: is there a Dutton Labs transfer of the Furtwangler?
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Not Dutton as far as I can see, but still other very well-done transfers:

I have the latter, which really is superb, albeit mono.

I have three complete sets: Szell, Furtwangler and Bernstein. I also own numerous recordings of 3-9 piecemeal, including Kleiber, Klemperer, Bohm, Karajan, Muti, Reiner, Solti, Beecham, Dorati, etc.

I've grown off of Toscanini in the German symphonic repetoire, honestly. I think he tends to be too clipped and "Italianate" in his style. On the one hand it's nice he doesn't wallow in the mud, but he goes overboard, IMO.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Not Dutton as far as I can see, but still other very well-done transfers:

I have the latter, which really is superb, albeit mono.

I have three complete sets: Szell, Furtwangler and Bernstein. I also own numerous recordings of 3-9 piecemeal, including Kleiber, Klemperer, Bohm, Karajan, Muti, Reiner, Solti, Beecham, Dorati, etc.

I've grown off of Toscanini in the German symphonic repetoire, honestly. I think he tends to be too clipped and "Italianate" in his style. On the one hand it's nice he doesn't wallow in the mud, but he goes overboard, IMO.
                          I would have suggested M&A next. The sound quality of Toscanini's recordings is enough to put me off most of the time.

I have most of those and also Previn, Szell, Stokowski, Davis, Kempe, Ashkenazy (a nice Pastoral) and Walter. There are others but I don't have a list to hand and the rest are back in NZ. Beecham is someone whom I need to get more of. I notice there's a stack of his stuff just been re-released.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

The REAL Top 5 Canadian Rock Anthems:

1. "No Sugar" The Guess Who
                            2. "Be My Yoko Ono" Barenaked Ladies
                            3. "Heart Of Gold" Neil Young
                            4. "These Eyes" The Guess Who
                            5. "Share The Land" The Guess Who

I apologise in advance for my wussy choices.
                            "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                            "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                            "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

edit: DP
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X