Run Windows Update now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run Windows Update now

If you haven't done so today. New patch available.
    What?

You might also want to wonder why you haven't got it set on auto-update.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Excerpt from the MS security bulletin:

The fix provided by this patch supersedes the one included in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026.

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is a protocol used by the Windows operating system. RPC provides an inter-process communication mechanism that allows a program running on one computer to seamlessly access services on another computer. The protocol itself is derived from the Open Software Foundation (OSF) RPC protocol, but with the addition of some Microsoft specific extensions.

There are three identified vulnerabilities in the part of RPCSS Service that deals with RPC messages for DCOM activation— two that could allow arbitrary code execution and one that could result in a denial of service. The flaws result from incorrect handling of malformed messages. These particular vulnerabilities affect the Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) interface within the RPCSS Service. This interface handles DCOM object activation requests that are sent from one machine to another.

An attacker who successfully exploited these vulnerabilities could be able to run code with Local System privileges on an affected system, or could cause the RPCSS Service to fail. The attacker could then be able to take any action on the system, including installing programs, viewing, changing or deleting data, or creating new accounts with full privileges.

To exploit these vulnerabilities, an attacker could create a program to send a malformed RPC message to a vulnerable system targeting the RPCSS Service.

A patch for a patch that they released barely two months ago. Come on, MS, get your act together.
      "If you doubt that an infinite number of monkeys at an infinite number of typewriters would eventually produce the combined works of Shakespeare, consider: it only took 30 billion monkeys and no typewriters." - Unknown

Comment

Maybe in some years we´re dl-ing patches all day long
        Blah

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
          I've done, but it hasn't got this yet...
          Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
          I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
          Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Yeah, so we need to apply yet another patch to all these 500 Wintel boxes, again. Smashin'!
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
              Yeah, so we need to apply yet another patch to all these 500 Wintel boxes, again. Smashin'!
              Don't tell me that you think this is unreasonable. It's a monopoly and you'll get what you're given.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

No, this is great. Otherwise why would we have 25 MCSE flunkies doing that?
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
                  I've turned off every automatic update possible, I just can't stand it.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Don't tell me that you think this is unreasonable. It's a monopoly and you'll get what you're given.
                    Have you guys patched the latest OpenSSH?
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

activate cloak

Put your machine or network behind some sort of network cloak. If the virus can't see you, you can't get infected. That way, you don't have to worry about patching right away.
                      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Ran it- got my critical updates.

4 of them to be exact.

Comment

my auto-update came up just an hour ago when I turned on my computer.

not happy about a 13.1 mb update though . luckily I have high speed internet connection

Comment

The update was only less than a MB for me.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Including the new security leaks?
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X