No announcement yet.

More troops NOT needed in Iraq.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that the troops there need to be replaced with fresh troops. But I dont see how putting more there make a difference.
    Last edited by Jack_www; September 10, 2003, 14:55.
    Donate to the American Red Cross.
    Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

If it was a great success the US wouldn´t go to the UN now.
      We are looking for one additional international division and seeing what it will cost us at the UN. Hardly crawling on our hands and knees.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

"Declare a policy failed after it has hardly begun."

In the case of a policy born dead, that it is an understatement.
        “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
          If it was a great success the US wouldn´t go to the UN now.
          The US could do it itself, but its nice to get help once in a while.
          Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

Like those smokers who always say "but I could stop smoking if I wish to, I just don´t want now".
            Blah

Comment

This is more a matter of cutting down from a pack a day to only 15 cigarettes.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                Like those smokers who always say "but I could stop smoking if I wish to, I just don´t want now".
                US helped out Europe after WWII, the US gives out billions of dollars in aid to other countries. It is nice not to have to pay it all ourselfs. It is going to take a lot of money and the US wants to share the cost. The world will benfit from a stable and peacefull Iraq. Why cant they help?

Comment

The EU gives billions in aid too to other countries. They will help, Germany just has agreed to financial aid. But if they send troops is another question. This is a political deal, and so there must be fair compromize - that´s how it works.
                  Blah

Comment

A compromise is reasonable. But we might not be able to find a reasonable compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_www

US helped out Europe after WWII, the US gives out billions of dollars in aid to other countries. It is nice not to have to pay it all ourselfs. It is going to take a lot of money and the US wants to share the cost. The world will benfit from a stable and peacefull Iraq. Why cant they help?
                      EU aid: ~35 billion $
                      US aid: ~10 billion $, mostly for client states

As for Iraq, it's definately sunk money unless the US admin finally gets a plan together.
                      “Now we declare… that the law-making power or the first and real effective source of law is the people or the body of citizens or the prevailing part of the people according to its election or its will expressed in general convention by vote, commanding or deciding that something be done or omitted in regard to human civil acts under penalty or temporal punishment….” (Marsilius of Padua, „Defensor Pacis“, AD 1324)

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_www
                        I think that the troops there need to be replaced with fresh troops.
                        In order to do that you must first have the fresh troops. On NPR this morning I was listening to a report about the new deployment, and one unit is coming home for three months then going back. One reservist will be in Iraq for a year and as soon as he gets home his wife will be assigned to Iraq for a year. Then there's what Sprayber mentioned.

Does anyone feel a draft coming on?
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

In order to do that you must first have the fresh troops. On NPR this morning I was listening to a report about the new deployment, and one unit is coming home for three months then going back. One reservist will be in Iraq for a year and as soon as he gets home his wife will be assigned to Iraq for a year. Then there's what Sprayber mentioned.

Does anyone feel a draft coming on?
                          A draft is the last thing the generals want. They like their well trained, motivated, long service professional army.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

How long is it going to stay well motivated when you have to keep the troops constantly on station in order to meet the requirements?

How long is it going to be well trained (in anything other than insurgancy/peacekeeping) when troops can't be spared for training sessions?

If the US increased force levels closer to those seen in Bosnia/Kosovo/Macedonia, relative to population, then those two questions will need answering.
                            19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

Working...
                            X