Umm... Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umm... Help!!

A couple of hours ago I rebooted my win xp home machine only to find that I could no longer log back in.

All I get is "The logon user interface dll msgina.dll failed to load. Contact your system administrator to replace the dll, or restore the original dll."

Now, i've not installed anything since the last successful boot, nor changed any settings or hardware... only been browsing.

I can log into safe mode, but not safe mode with networking. I dragged msgina.dll from the installation cd into the c:\windows\system32 folder overwriting the original, rebooted but still the same old story.

Luckily my old hard drive still has windows ME (blech) bootable so i've been searching google but only finding windows 2000 fixes, or... unnervingly a security vulnerability that affects networked computers which allows a user to block access to msgina.dll to stop people from logging in. The suggested fix for that was to set security permissions to deny user/administrator access, which I think I did, but still couldn't boot.

Since I can't log into safe mode with networking I thought maybe it was an outside denial of service attack... so I tried booting up normally but without my USB cable modem plugged in... still no joy

Oh, I also did a system restore back to four days ago, that didn't work either.

Edit: When I try safe mode with networking, what happens is I choose either my username or administrator account, then it says the normal "loading settings" but then pops straight back to login screen saying "saving settings" like i've just told it to log out.

I'm stuck with windows ME now, help me!

Sounds like reformat time to me.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Reinstall XP to replace any missing files...should sort it out...
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I can figure those solutions out myself

No harm in hoping someone knows what the heck is going on O_o

Comment

Well who knows - these things happen from time to time
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Bleh, noone will see this on page 3.....

Off to work soon, guess i'll have to reinstall when I get back

Comment

The file really is one of those for the logon... and I know of problems with programs that do, for some reason, want to replace this file .

Generally... reinstall seems the best solution here, as the Windoze repair console is clumsy. Besides, on a machine with decent speed, a simple reinstall shouldn't take any more than half an hour.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Yeah.. It just doesn't make sense though... i'm replacing the .dll straight from the cd... there shouldn't be anything wrong with it... and the other thing that confuses me is that Safe mode with networking doesn't let me log in but normal safe mode does...

Grr

Comment

Don't try to make sense out of Windows.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

The uncivilized savages of the world seem to have an inexplicable aversion to Windows . . .
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                    X