Virii in video codecs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virii in video codecs

has anyone else noticed this? I just got 6 different codecs and 4 contained somesort of virus.

Now if I was a guy with a suspicious nature.........

Which codecs did you download?

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
      Which codecs did you download?
      Ahem xVid and dvl, from kazaa, my point is that 'someone' (clue. four letter acronym) is deliberately sharing files that are infecting with users who they don't KNOW are breaking the law

Comment

Ah, I justed wanted to know if it wasn't some obscure codec =)

That games, software or other stuff containing viruses have been spread on the P2P networks has happened before.

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
          Ah, I justed wanted to know if it wasn't some obscure codec =)

That games, software or other stuff containing viruses have been spread on the P2P networks has happened before.
          Yep, I've had the occasional one or two (one was in a file claiming to show Christina Applegate having sex on a webcam, and yes I was drunk)

But it's now 6 in 8 codecs that I D/L'd tonight, thats some percenatge! Thou I've finally got the one I want.......

Comment

my point is that 'someone' (clue. four letter acronym)
            You're insinuating the RIAA did this?

Why should they care? Aren't codecs free anyways, and definitely not under their own jurisdiction?
            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell

You're insinuating the RIAA did this?

Why should they care? Aren't codecs free anyways, and definitely not under their own jurisdiction?
              Yes I am, what do you use the codecs for.........? To play films

I use file sharing a lot and virii go with the territory, but there seems that an inordinate percentage crop up in codecs and players etc

Comment

Just download DivX. It'll play damn near everything you'd want to see and it's free. It even integrates with Windows Media player if you're so inclined.

Comment

xvid... get it from sourceforge or bust.
                  B♭3

Comment

Why would the RIAA care about video codec's?
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Probably not the RIAA but then they've sent out blank files before. I'd but it's some little punkass kid showing out for his friends. "Look, I can write worms, too!"

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                        Why would the RIAA care about video codec's?
                        Why would they care about CD players and hardware copy protection?
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

you do realize that by riaa, they really mean the mpaa, in this case.
                          B♭3

Comment

Working...
                          X