This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how does the riaa expect to win?

when it gets even nastier pr from its own behavior, like this: 12-Year-Old Sued for Music Downloading

NEW YORK — The music industry has turned its big legal guns on Internet music-swappers — including a 12-year-old New York City girl who thought downloading songs was fun.

Brianna LaHara said she was frightened to learn she was among the hundreds of people sued yesterday by giant music companies in federal courts around the country.

"I got really scared. My stomach is all turning," Brianna said last night at the city Housing Authority apartment where she lives with her mom and her 9-year-old brother.

"I thought it was OK to download music because my mom paid a service fee for it. Out of all people, why did they pick me?"

The Recording Industry Association of America (search) — a music-industry lobbying group behind the lawsuits — couldn't answer that question.

"We are taking each individual on a case-by-case basis," said RIAA spokeswoman Amy Weiss.

Asked if the association knew Brianna was 12 when it decided to sue her, Weiss answered, "We don't have any personal information on any of the individuals."

Brianna's mom, Sylvia Torres, said the lawsuit was "a total shock."

"My daughter was on the verge of tears when she found out about this," Torres said.

The family signed up for the Kazaa music-swapping service three months ago, and paid a $29.99 service charge.

Usually, they listen to songs without recording them. "There's a lot of music there, but we just listen to it and let it go," Torres said.

When reporters visited teh[sic] apartment last night, Brianna — who her mom says is an honors student — was helping her brother with his homework.

Brianna was among 261 people sued for copying thousands of songs via popular Internet file-sharing software — and thousands more suits could be on the way.

"Nobody likes playing the heavy and having to resort to litigation," said Cary Sherman, the RIAA's president. "But when your product is being regularly stolen, there comes a time when you have to take appropriate action."

At the same time, the RIAA offered amnesty to file-swappers who come forward and agree to stop illegally downloading music over the Internet.

People who already have been sued are not eligible for amnesty.

Brianna and the others sued yesterday under federal copyright law could face penalties of up to $150,000 per song, but the RIAA has already settled some cases for as little as $3,000.

"It's not like we were doing anything illegal," said Torres. "This is a 12-year-old girl, for crying out loud."

some problems with the article. 1. thinking that paying kazaa would indemnify them, and 2. thinking that they weren't doing anything illegal.

but man, the riaa just loves blasting their own feet from underneath them, don't they? a 12 year old girl who lives in federally subsidized housing... sucks to be them.
    B♭3

The family signed up for the Kazaa music-swapping service three months ago, and paid a $29.99 service charge.

???????

The other 100 million people in the world who download mp3's via Kazaa don't pay a penny.... if downloading the files is still illegal even if you sign up for whatever bull**** service this is why the hell would you give them a dime?
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

They expect to win by having the more expensive lawyers.

That's what most US judicial decisions come down to.

Who's the best bull****ter.
      Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
      "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

It's official - I know hate the riaa even more than microsoft, and wouldn't be surprised if they take the heat off the popular hatred of the IRS.
        "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
        Drake Tungsten
        "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
        Albert Speer

Comment

they'll win the battles. it looks like they're losing the war. unable to win the hearts and minds of its victims, they're going to end up dealing with many more unhappy and angry filesharers on harder-to-find networks.

what's more interesting is that in the past several weeks, with the threat of litigation people have shared and downloaded less. however, during that same period, the bottom seems to have fallen out of cd sales: rather than the pre-threat decline of 6.1%, it's now at 54%, at least according to this wired article.
          B♭3

Comment

Pay for Kazaa? Whats the deal with that?

Comment

They expect to scare enough people into not downloading in order that their business model is preserved.

This is not an unreasonable strategy, if it's only part of the strategy. They will need to make an online music service that is as easy to use as Kazaa and has a reasonable price (as perceived by the dowloaders).
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Do we really need a new RIAA thread every day so people can say the exact same thing over and over again...

Just find one of the other MANY threads on this subject and continue this there....
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                X