Minimum Wage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum Wage

I understand why businesses that pay many of its employees cannot be arsed to take a little more out of their huge profits to pay their employees a living wage, rather than a minimum wage. It's called greed, plain and simple.

I also understand that there are teenagers that can work on minimum wage, because they usually live with their parents yet.

What I do not understand, is how businesses and politicians expect independent adults who are legal citizens of this country, to be able to live off of minimum wage.

Someone on CNN earlier this evening who was a guest, stated that our minimum wage level is below the poverty level.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Because if they are the only one's paynig a living wage while their competitors are paying min wage, then they will go out of business.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Ask Rich, he's the expert on minimum wage.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I understand why businesses that pay many of its employees cannot be arsed to take a little more out of their huge profits to pay their employees a living wage, rather than a minimum wage. It's called greed, plain and simple.

Ask a local buisness if it's greed. A lot of them pay minimum wage to its cashier people because they can't afford to pay them more. Not every company makes insane amounts of profits.
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

They should repeal the minimum wage, and all worker regulations. Imagine how insanely powerful the unions would become. If unions were smart, they would be for the repeal of all government worker regulations.
          "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
            They should repeal the minimum wage, and all worker regulations. Imagine how insanely powerful the unions would become. If unions were smart, they would be for the repeal of all government worker regulations.
            We had no minimum wage in the UK during a depressed jobs market, people just got paid less and were to scared to join a union in case they got sacked. end of story.

Comment

Chegitz, that would not be a problem if the government abolished minimum wage, and replaced it with an enforced living wage, would it?

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Ask a local buisness if it's greed. A lot of them pay minimum wage to its cashier people because they can't afford to pay them more. Not every company makes insane amounts of profits.
              Ok -- that's fair enough. So if these businesses are not making enough in profit, how long can these businesses go on operating anyway?

Comment

So if these businesses are not making enough in profit, how long can these businesses go on operating anyway?

They are making enough in profit, and can go on for years, because they don't have to pay their staff $10/hr or somewhat. As soon as you do that, suddenly they aren't.
                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

I guess starvation wage is better than no wage.

Comment

And I seriously doubt it is 'starvation wage' to work a full time minimum wage job .

Comment

Those people making minimum wage have a choice. Keep doing what you are doing now, or educate yourself and develop more valuable skills.
                      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

bah... there's a problem when a single mother with three kids (and no child support) is working on minimum wage but we got systems set up for this (ie- welfare, section 8, enforcement of child support laws, etc.).

one person can live quite well on a single minimum wage job and throw in a second shift and you start doing pretty good. person gets married and their spouse works similiar hours and you can start raking in some money. how do you think all those foreigners do it? they make a tens of thousands of dollars in only a few years of working on minimum wage if even that long.

secondly, the economic implications of a high minimum wage would be disastrious. small business (and you got to remember that **** like mcdonalds and kfcs are franchise corporations... the individual mcdonalds is really a semi-independent small business that sells mcdonalds products) would not be able to pay their workers. i dont know about you, but i dont like the thought of the only businesses capable of paying their employees (and the only ones able to survive) being all huge corporations. secondly, to make ends meet (or maybe they're just greedy and want to make money), businesses will have to raise prices which makes you wonder what good is being paid $10/hr when a cheeseburger is costing you $2 instead of $1.

(AS wonders if MrFun ever worked a minimum wage job)

thanks
                        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer
                          which makes you wonder what good is being paid $10/hr when a cheeseburger is costing you $2 instead of $1.
                          is it compulsory to buy the cheeseburger?

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            And I seriously doubt it is 'starvation wage' to work a full time minimum wage job .
                            You've never been forced to work minimum wage, huh?
                            http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia
                              Those people making minimum wage have a choice. Keep doing what you are doing now, or educate yourself and develop more valuable skills.
                              what if it's not within their capabilites? 40 hours a week of anyones time, no matter what the job, should be worth a certain amount (ie. a living wage)

Comment

Working...
                              X