X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Industry Sues Music File Swappers

1 hour, 18 minutes ago

By ALEX VEIGA, AP Business Writer

LOS ANGELES - The recording industry filed hundreds of lawsuits Monday against individual music lovers, accusing them of illegally downloading and sharing songs over the Internet.

The lawsuits, which had been expected, underscore the industry's increasing aggressiveness in cracking down on the trading of pirated music files over file-sharing networks such as Kazaa.

The 261 lawsuits were filed in federal courts around the country by the Recording Industry Association of America (news - web sites) on behalf of its members, which include Universal Music Group, BMG, EMI, Sony Music and Warner Music. More waves of lawsuits were expected, and the total could eventually reach the thousands, the RIAA said.

"Nobody likes playing the heavy and having to resort to litigation," RIAA president Cary Sherman said in a statement. "But when your product is being regularly stolen, there comes a time when you have to take appropriate action."

The music industry says file-sharing is a violation of copyright laws and blames the practice for a three-year decline in compact disc music sales, which have dropped 31 percent drop since mid-2000. The individuals sued Monday were sharing, on average, more than 1,000 songs each, the group said.

The recording industry also announced an amnesty program for people who admit they illegally share music online. They must, among other things, promise to delete any illegally downloaded music and not participate in illegal file-trading again.

Individuals targeted by Monday's lawsuits would be ineligible.

In June, the recording industry announced that it would target hundreds of individual computer users who illegally share music files online, in an aggressive gamble to cripple online piracy by suing some of music's biggest fans.

That announcement came just weeks after U.S. appeals court rulings requiring Internet providers to readily identify subscribers suspected of illegally sharing music and movie files.

Earlier, the RIAA sued four college students it accused of making thousands of songs available for illegal downloading on campus networks. The RIAA settled those cases for $12,500 to $17,000 each.

Monday's lawsuits resulted from subpoenas sent to Internet service providers and others seeking to identify roughly 1,600 people the RIAA believes engaged in illegal music sharing.

Sen. Norm Coleman, R-Minn., chairman of the Senate Governmental Affairs' Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations, has promised hearings on the industry's use of copyright subpoenas to track downloaders.

Coleman has expressed concerns that the campaign could ensnare innocent people, such as parents and grandparents whose children and grandchildren are using their computers to download music. He also said some downloaders themselves might not know they are breaking the law.

U.S. copyright laws allow for damages of $750 to $150,000 for each song offered illegally on a person's computer, but the RIAA has said it would be open to settlement proposals from defendants.

The RIAA said Monday it had already negotiated $3,000 settlements with fewer than 10 Internet users who learned they might be sued after the RIAA sent copyright subpoenas to their Internet providers.

The industry in recent weeks also has served subpoenas on at least 10 universities in an effort to identify individual file-swappers. In response, many universities are now admonishing students about illegal file-sharing and have introduced restrictions.

Music companies also have begun to embrace for-pay download services.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Fvck them.

Comment

I don't know why music lovers would want to settle for the crap that's available for download anyway. I would rather pay for the CD and get good quality. Besides...it's stealing.
      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Merciless
        Fvck them.
        eloquently put

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Merciless
          Fvck them.
          Um, do you mean the record industry or the file swappers?

Comment

"U.S. copyright laws allow for damages of $750 to $150,000 for each song offered illegally on a person's computer,"

I wonder why such a range ?
            Is Michael Jackson $750 and, I don't know, Metallica $100,000 ?
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by gunkulator

Um, do you mean the record industry or the file swappers?
              I know who I mean

Comment

This is interesting. Each of the 1600 probably cannot afford a good lawyer to help defend his case. Collectively, they could. In a way, this should be class action, with the court ordering each defendant to pay a portion of his or her defense fees.

I wonder how this will play out.
                http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

"Nobody likes playing the heavy and having to resort to litigation," RIAA president Cary Sherman said in a statement. "But when your product is being regularly stolen, there comes a time when you have to take appropriate action."
                  Cary Sherman, you can blow it out your ass. If you don't like it then why the hell are you doing it? The CORRECT action is to bust up your ****ing price fixing and have the industry competitively sell songs on per-download services online, at least IMO--another correct action would be to diversify and quit putting out bull****, but I'm not so sure how high I should put my expectations.
                  meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I'll just refer to Pravin Lal on this matter...

...besides they are keeping more parasite lawyers in work
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

He'll probably just waffle some crap about the demise of Earth, or something like that.
                      "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

The RIAA can kiss my big white ass.
                        "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

Working...
                        X