Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible explanation for the fundamental differences between geeks and non-geeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible explanation for the fundamental differences between geeks and non-geeks

CLIs encourage users to keep track of things in their heads, whereas GUIs encourage users to keep track of things on the screen. Could this be what seperates Linux users from windows users?

For Linux users: Do you prefer to keep track of things in your head?

For windows users: Do you prefer to keep track of things on the screen?
    American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
    I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
    Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
    XGalaga.

Not even sure what you're talking about. Care to expand, please?

Comment

Given that I still have a heavily used DOS prompt icon on my desktop, where would I fit in your scheme?

Comment

The thing is how you think about your computer.

Do you think of it like a black box that responds to commands or do you think about it visually?

True powerusers use both a lot, and when required. For me, Windows XP with Cygwin is perfect.

No Linux desktop out there is anywhere close to the GUI of Windows XP, and Windows XP with Cygwin has the best of both worlds. Period.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

GUI is optional. You can do everything you can in a GUI with a CLI, but how could you do, say, regex, with cute little icons?

The advantage of pictures over words and numbers is the presentation of certain data. More specifically, trends and changes.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
            GUI is optional. You can do everything you can in a GUI with a CLI, but how could you do, say, regex, with cute little icons?
            Yes, in the same way you could draw pictures via the CLI.

Don't be a moron.

And why don't you answer my question of what your undergrad school was?

And further, did you take an interface design course at said school? Because clearly it's utter ****e.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

what the fvck is CLI/GUI?

and what does it have to do with geeks and non geeks?

Comment

Non-geeks get laid. Geeks don't. End of discussion.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Comment

CLI = Command Line Interface
                    GUI = Graphical User Interface
                    American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
                    I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
                    Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
                    XGalaga.

Comment

and that has how much to do with geekdom?

Comment

Only geeks understand this thread

I don't, so I guess I'm no geek
                        The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

if you want to go sure just check if you got laid before you got to uni.

Comment

Geeks are bigots who defend their own position by all means. Geekdom is a negative trait. A computer is a useful tool to solve problems (even though the problem may just be, how to kill one's spare time ). It ain't a god or a fetish or something. Neither are operating systems.

As for the CLI/GUI argument, it says nothing about whether one is a geek or not. I use both of them, where it's appropriate. I don't need no stynkin' GUI on the server. A server is... well... there to serve. It should be running just by switching it on, and most of the time even without a monitor, or with the monitor turned off. The best servers are those, who need a minimum of maintainance time. What do I need a slow, resource hogging GUI for that? Even under Windows it's much faster to start or stop a service using the net start and net stop feature on the command line than to click through the menus (even though under Windows the resource hog is omnipresent, anyway).

A desktop is there to do the daily work. It has to provide me with the opportunity to do my work as good as possible as quick as possible and as secure as possible. A good, ergonomic GUI along with reliable software is just a must. I use Windows XP on the desktop and am content with it. I can use the software of my choice on it. For instance, I write an average of one (printed out) letter a month. WTH do I need MS Office for that? Way too pricy for that little amout of work. OpenOffice does it too, and it's free. For coding, I use MS Visual Studio. It's one of the best IDEs one can get. It has excellent debugging features. I've been searching a long time, but I couldn't find anything halfway adequate under *nix. I use it to write software for both Windows and *nix, btw, it takes so little time to add a makefile later and recompile it. And most of the core stuff I write portable anyway.

The question CLI vs GUI should be answered by "What ever fits you better to do your work". This decision everyone should make himself. It ain't helpful at all to try to force the own opinion to anyone else.

Comment

If command line interfaces encourage people to keep track of things in their head, ls has no reason to exist
                              This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Working...
                              X