Athletes wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Athletes wanted.

This thread if for the athletes among us, or at least those of us that like to keep in shape, so please no trolling if your not interested in the discussion.

I was wondering if we have any Poly members that are seriously into Running, Swimming, Cycling or Triathlons.

I have run two London Marathons (nothing fantastic, my best was 4:06:??) however I have taken the bull by the horns and entered an Ironman which is July 2004 (a lot to do to get fit enough in only 10 months).

Let us know what type of sport or athletics you do, we can maybe discuss a bit of training tips and other things. Oh and if there are any of you in the UK that are interested we could meet up for some training or races?

Right now I'm training for the 2007 chicago marathon!

Hopefully I can get up to 70-80 miles per week by then

Right now my legs seem to break down as soon as I try to go over 50

The swimming would kill me in the iron man... litterally I'd probably drown.

If you have the time you can do some easy biking/swimming in the morning and harder running in the afternoon, possibly followed by some easy swimming. And on different days you can switch it up, and make your long workout biking or swimming. Over the summer I did this a few times a week and its not that tiring as long as you don't push yourself during the "easy" parts.

But you should concentrate on whatever area you are weakest in. Nonetheless you should be running almost every day so you build strenght and not mass from swimming/biking.

Then again I'm no expert, I'm sure there are websites which can give more detailed training plans.

Comment

training for a marathon 4 years away? well damn...
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I consider myself fairly athletic, but I pretty much confine myself to going to the gym and the occasional rollerblading/jogging. Marathons? Too much sweat!
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Re: Athletes wanted.

Originally posted by Barley
          This thread if for the athletes among us, or at least those of us that like to keep in shape, so please no trolling if your not interested in the discussion.

I was wondering if we have any Poly members that are seriously into Running, Swimming, Cycling or Triathlons.

I have run two London Marathons (nothing fantastic, my best was 4:06:??) however I have taken the bull by the horns and entered an Ironman which is July 2004 (a lot to do to get fit enough in only 10 months).

Let us know what type of sport or athletics you do, we can maybe discuss a bit of training tips and other things. Oh and if there are any of you in the UK that are interested we could meet up for some training or races?
          hi ,

are you looking for a training program or so , ......

do you watch your food , ......???

smoking , drinking , etc , ..... more info is needed

have a nice day
          - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
          - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
          WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

I guess everyone is watching his food now and than
            If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

Originally posted by DanielXY
              I guess everyone is watching his food now and than
              hi ,

now and then aint going to do it , .......

a dieet is as much important as training is , ......

have a nice day
              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Ok to build up muscle you have to eat lot of proteins, get your vitamins/minerals, keep low on fat. And thats about it. Not much to look after, or did I miss something?
                If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

Can't say I'm a marathon runner, but I do keep in shape. And I could whip any Apolytoner's ass at basketball .
                  "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

my mate is on about me and him doing the london marathon one year, i said no this year (because i'd die ) but maybe next year.

can anyone enter barley, or do you need to have done some other things of this type? i heard someone mention that you had to have done at least 2 half-marathons, but i don't know if there is any truth in this.
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by DanielXY
                      Ok to build up muscle you have to eat lot of proteins, get your vitamins/minerals, keep low on fat. And thats about it. Not much to look after, or did I miss something?
                      Balanced diet is key. If you want to build muscle then you need more proteins, but if you're training for an aerobic race you want to make your muscles more efficent rather than bigger and stronger. In that case you'll want as much as 3:1:1 carbs : protein : fat. Fats are also very important for almost everything, as long as its the right kind of fat, ie non-animal fats. Vitamins are very important too, without zinc, vitamin C etc your muscles will take significantly longer to recover from workouts. Calcium and vitamin D are also important for bone health, you don't want to end up with a stress fracture. Water is also very important, you need water to break complex carbs into simple sugars your cells can use, dehydration will also cause lactic acid to accumulate in your muscles. But too much water will remove electrolytes out of your body, which makes you sweat less and leads to heat exhaustion.

I'm sure theres more that I'm just not thinking of....

Comment

I wasn’t really looking for any training programs, though maybe in a couple of weeks when ive finalised my program for the last 4 – 6 months before the Ironman I will post some of the basics.

My reason for choosing to do an Ironman is as a motivator to change my lifestyle. I smoke, drink to many fizzy drinks and beer. All that will have to stop though ill have a few beers now and then though will be very strict in the final 3 months. At the moment im just rebuilding basic fitness as ive been unable to do much aerobic exercise for a year due to a prelonged hamstring problem which is thankfully now ok.

Cockney: Anyone 18 or over can enter the London Marathon, its about £27 or so, you can find the application forms in most good sports shops - JJB Sport have them. The London Marathon takes place on about the third Sunday in April and even someone who never runs could (if they put in some hard work) complete it in less than 5 hours (a respectable time) from only 4 months training. The application deadline is usually mid October by the way. You are not guaranteed a place as the race is oversubscribed but as a first timer you have a much better chance. If you cannot get in through the main selection process ‘the ballot’ you can run for a charity (they usually ask you to commit to raising £1000 in exchange for a free place).

Soul Survivor: I assume by the distances and intensity of the program you follow that your pretty experience though 2007 seems a long way off lol. What sort of time you aiming for?

Comment

I'm running my first half at the end of September...target time 2 hours.

Comment

Re: Athletes wanted.

Originally posted by Barley
                            . . . please no trolling if your not interested in the discussion.
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I used to compete a atheltics, but I just try to keep fit now. I used to run 100m, 200m, 400m, 400m hurdles and 100m hurdles. And I have been known to enter the odd decathalon for fun. However I got injured a few years ago, and ept going back and then a few months later it would go again, so in the end I gave up. However it's been a few years, so thinking of starting again soon.

I used to do sprint training twice a week, hurdles training once a week, weights twice a week and aerobic exercise once or twice a week. Sprint training was done on the local track, and consited of 45 mins warming up, 30 mins doing technique work, about 10 repetitions of between 70% and 95% effort, and then warm down. Usually took about 2 and a half hours. Hurdles training was similar, but with more technique work and less repetitions.

On that I ran a 100m in about 11.6 seconds, 200m in 23.9 and 100m hurdles in 13.9 - which wasn't too bad for a 15 year old.

Now I just do weights once or twice a week, cycle to work every day and go for occasional runs/cycles when I have time. I coached the school athletics team until I left in June.
                              Smile
                              For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                              But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Working...
                              X