No announcement yet.

9/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/11 was just a rude awakening for me. For one thing I was awakened early by the phone ringing.

I do not like waking up to such carnage.

that post looks too self-centered doesn't it? I should care more about what the new yorkers went through. but new york is so far away. it's so difficult to relate.

9/11 positives: we have shown terrorists we are not as weak as they think we are

I still haven't figured out why they hit the pentagon. Did they really think they were going to destroy the whole thing and hamper our retaliatory abilities?

Comment

• Well, I slept through most of 9/11. I got woken up in late morning by my cousin who called me on the phone.

Yes, I got that euphoria and all, but I wasn't too surprised by the whole thing.

On a good note, its my brother in law's 8th wedding anniversary.

Comment

• All of a sudden the quote in my signature fits today more than any other day.

Comment

• I was in England on September 11th and I heard nothing until I got home. My mother was sitting in the conservatory and told me that the World Trade Centre had been hit by a plane. I said "Whatever" and got myself a drink. I went into the living room just as the 2nd plane hit the towers. I sat down and spilled my drink. And that was me. I did not know anyone in the WTC. I have not been to the United States. However something struck me that day. I had never been affected by wars in Africa. I cared not a jot about a refugee crisis in deepest Peru. However, something struck me that day.

And again, I am always remembering what struck me that day, despite the fact it is intangible. For the best, I suppose.

Comment

• I still remember that day as if it was yesterday. I received a call by a family member telling me to turn on the TV. I saw all the smoke, she said the twin towers had been hit by airliners and collapsed (yes I'm a lazy bastard who woke up late that day). I couldn't believe it, it's just one of those things that you can't imagine ever happening.

My mother was in Washington at the time. She said it was terrible. I visited New York that december and the feeling of sorrow and fear still lingered everywhere. I was especially shocked at a bunch of letters and pictures posted in a passage at Grand Central. It was all so hard to swallow.

This kind of tragedies are simply horrible no matter how you look at it. No matter what you may think of the US or what those attacks have led to, it takes a terribly inhumane person to not acknowledge that 3,000 lives lost in an instant is something that no country should ever have to bear, nor should a city so beautiful and proud as New York.

Let us never forget, so that such a thing may never happen anywhere in the world again.
            A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

• On another note, I would just like to mention that 2003 also marks the 30th anniversary of another terrible tragedy that happened on this very day on this very hemishpere. In 1973 on 9/11 Augusto Pinochet toppled the democratic government of Allende in Chile and led to a 16 year long dictatorship in which tens of thousands of people, many of them just barely college students, were murdered or simply "disappeared".

Another tragedy hit us this very day. Swedish foreign minister Anna Lindh was stabbed in a store and died of her wounds. She was a very respected and loved official in her country, and her loss is a truly horrible event.
              A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

• What are my thoughts?

It's incredible how some people has forgoten about what 9/11 was just after two years. It's incredible how this people is more concerned about atacking Americans, trolling and threadjacking, even at this sad day. It's also incredible how they don't understand that Europe is also in the list. London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Madrid, and many other European cities are also objectives. Moscow has been attacked by the terrorists (the same terrorists) recently. And also we don't have to forget the terrorist attacks in Asia.

Sadly we Spanish people knew terrorism since lot of years before 9/11/2001, and for that reason I understand the meaning of this terrible attack. I wouldn't wish it even for the ungrateful governs of France and Germany.

So I'm with all of the good people who died or lost some dear friend or relative that sad day. I sincerely hope that their deaths were not in vain. This day shall never be forgotten
                "Never trust a man who puts your profit before his own profit." - Grand Nagus Zek, Star Trek Deep Space Nine, episode 11
                "A communist is someone who has read Marx and Lenin. An anticommunist is someone who has understood Marx and Lenin." - Ronald Reagan (1911-2004)

Comment

• I started watching the news just before the second plane hit - it was unbelievable! Sure it was happening but I just couldn't believe it, it didn't seem real and the whole day took on a 'spaced' effect as I sat glued to the TV for the whole day as the reports flooded in...

It sounds weird but I had the same feeling when I found out that Princess Diana died - you are being told something that should not be so, but is so...

Obviously I felt for all those that lost their lives - especially those trapped on the top floors of the WTC with nowhere to go.

What really hit home for me was visiting NY in Jan '02 and seeing the huge hole of ground zero - that gap in the buildings really left me cold. I couldn't bring myself to actually walk up the ramp to the viewing platform - somehow I thought that would be disrespectful being a non American. Almost like another thing to see as a tourist - voyeuristic. Instead I spend a few quiet minutes reading all the messages on the railings by the church there in contemplation...
                  Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS
                    What really hit home for me was visiting NY in Jan '02 and seeing the huge hole of ground zero - that gap in the buildings really left me cold. I couldn't bring myself to actually walk up the ramp to the viewing platform - somehow I thought that would be disrespectful being a non American. Almost like another thing to see as a tourist - voyeuristic. Instead I spend a few quiet minutes reading all the messages on the railings by the church there in contemplation...
                    Most Americans would not object to you being there. Most of understand that this was not just an American tragedy, but a World tragedy. It is a place we should all stand together, regardless of where we come from. It was an attack against us all. There, of all places, we should unite and say with one loud voice to the forces of evil..."Never Again."
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• Originally posted by PLATO
                      Most Americans would not object to you being there. Most of understand that this was not just an American tragedy, but a World tragedy. It is a place we should all stand together, regardless of where we come from. It was an attack against us all. There, of all places, we should unite and say with one loud voice to the forces of evil..."Never Again."
                      Perhaps not but I objected to myself being there, because it almost felt like being another thing to 'see' in NY. I felt it more respectful just to stand at the bottom of the ramp by the street...
                      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS

Perhaps not but I objected to myself being there, because it almost felt like being another thing to 'see' in NY. I felt it more respectful just to stand at the bottom of the ramp by the street...
                        As your concience was your guide, who can object? You post makes it obvious that you stand with us all in spirit.
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

• *sniff*
                          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

• May He who makes peace in heaven send peace to us and to all who mourn.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• I sometimes question my government's policies, and even when it doesn't seem like it, I am grateful that I live in the United States.

I was very much moved by the volunteers who flooded into New York City on 9/11 doing whatever type of work needed to be done -- counseling/comforting, serving food/beverages, cleaning up, coordinating other people's work, and so forth.

Last year on the first anniversary, students from St. Ambrose University, where I graduated from, had a special ceremony in their campus chapel, and I attended it. There, some of our fellow students who went to New York City days after the attack, who did various volunteer work, in moving voices, recollected to us, what they did.

One or two students broke down somewhat as they spoke last year on that day.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• Are there any differences for anyone between the first anniversary last year, and this year's anniversary?
                                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                                X