Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Italians are a sensible people

France, Germany 'should be fined'

MILAN, Italy (Reuters) -- France and Germany should be fined if they cannot bring their 2004 budget deficits under the EU's limit of three percent of gross domestic product, EU Competition Commissioner Mario Monti said in an interview on Friday.

Monti, speaking to Italian business daily Il Sole 24 Ore, said sanctions on the EU's two largest economies, in accordance with provisions outlined in the bloc's Stability and Growth Pact, would not weigh on European growth.

"When there are rules, they must be applied correctly and equally to all, to big countries and little countries,'' Monti was quoted as saying. "If the objective conditions are there...sanctions will be triggered.''

Germany told the EU last week it expected its 2003 budget deficit would reach 3.8 percent of GDP after 3.5 percent in 2002, although many private forecasters expect the deficit to exceed four percent this year.

France has already said it expects to break the stability pact's limit on deficits of three percent of GDP for the second year running this year, and on Tuesday raised the prospect of busting the limit again in 2004.

Monti said sanctions would be a strong signal to European countries, both inside and outside the budget deficit cap.

"(Sanctions) would not have a heavy financial effect, so they would not slow growth,'' Monti said. "It would maintain confidence in the euro without having a recessionary backlash on the economy.''

Monti added Italy's attempts to overhaul its pension system could help it encourage economic growth by removing a "sword of Damocles'' from over the heads of workers and pensioners.

"This should remove a brake on consumption,'' he said, but added sufficient competition was still lacking in Italy.

"It seems to me that Italian life is characterised by great bitterness in the relations between political parties, taking attention away from the things considered necessary, this is to say the creation of a system capable of carrying forward new initiatives.''

Wow, first Berlusconi and now this guy. Italy is turning out some very intelligent statesmen.

Godspeed, Mario Monti! All those who believe in fairness and justice stand behind you.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

"I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Any praise for Berlusconi is more than he deserves.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The Italians are a sensible people

Ma certo.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Any praise for Berlusconi is more than he deserves.

What can I say? I'm a generous man.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Here here!

The Italians are smart! Or getting smarter:

The latest news and headlines from Yahoo News. Get breaking news stories and in-depth coverage with videos and photos.

"The war has made the trans-Atlantic disconnect so significant that large chunks of public opinion in France (70 percent), Germany and Italy (both 50 percent), Portugal (44 percent) now see U.S leadership as undesirable, the poll showed."

"The American president polled a 40-percent support level in Italy (down from 57 percent), 58 percent in Poland (down from 62 percent) and 41 percent in Portugal which was not polled in 2002, according to the survey."

Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Re: The Italians are a sensible people

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
              Godspeed, Mario Monti! All those who believe in fairness and justice stand behind you.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Ummm, what's the point of suing someone because they have too much debt?

Comment

More proof that a European Superpower will never exist.
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

this thread title is racist.

you cannot generalize an entire race of people- even if it is postively. For instance, it is wrong to say black men have large penises.

Comment

"Italian" isn't a race.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                        More proof that a European Superpower will never exist.
                        We Americans have known that since the end of World War II.
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                          For instance, it is wrong to say black men have large penises.
                          MING!!!! DISSIDENT JUST SAID......
                          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

sure Italians are a race. Why wouldn't they be?

Comment

sure Italians are a race. Why wouldn't they be?

"Italian" is a nationality, not a race. Racism is bad, but nationalism is fun.

For example, I think that all Russians are ignorant drunks who secretly lust after Mormon women.

That's not racism, it's pure fun!
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X