Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Possible X-Box Purchase

Everyone:

OK, I'm planning on getting an X-Box tomorrow (Saturday) because I love RPG games and Knights of the Old Republic (KOTOR) is an X-Box exclusive title. Well, that and the fact that Ninja Gaiden is coming out for the XB as well. And that Panzer Dragoon Orta game. (But *not* Halo ... bleh!)

Anyway, I've heard that the controllers are bulky, and that I might want to get an "S" controller. Is this true? Or do XBs ship now with the more "hand-friendly" controllers? Also, is the XB pluggable directly into A/V slots on a TV and/or VCR? And it doesn't need a separate memory card because it has built-in memory? And it's connectable to the Internet if you have a broadband connection? And it plays DVD movies (I'm assuming one needs a "S" video input on the TV for that or, lacking that, a translator-type device)?

BTW, I'm going to keep my PS1 and maybe pick up a PS2 for the sheer joy of it all. Screw the GameCube!

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Are you fantastically rich or something?
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

"Fantastically" rich? For buying both an X-Box and a PS2?

Comment

Most people don't have $400 lying around to burn on video games.
        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Re: Question About Possible X-Box Purchase

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
          Everyone:

Anyway, I've heard that the controllers are bulky, and that I might want to get an "S" controller. Is this true? Or do XBs ship now with the more "hand-friendly" controllers? Also, is the XB pluggable directly into A/V slots on a TV and/or VCR? And it doesn't need a separate memory card because it has built-in memory? And it's connectable to the Internet if you have a broadband connection? And it plays DVD movies (I'm assuming one needs a "S" video input on the TV for that or, lacking that, a translator-type device)?

BTW, I'm going to keep my PS1 and maybe pick up a PS2 for the sheer joy of it all. Screw the GameCube!

Gatekeeper
          They all come with controller-S now. Of course, you can plug it in the A/V connection. S-video and component are also an option, if you want a better image quality. It has a hard drive, so you don't need a memory card. You can connect it to the internet, but it's broadband only. It plays DVDs, but you need to buy a remote control (not too expensive).
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
            Most people don't have $400 lying around to burn on video games.
            Fortunately, my monthly income has exceeded my monthly expenses almost since I began my job more than five years ago. You can build up a nice little cushion over the years with an equation like that. It's not extravagant by any means, but I've got enough on hand right now that if I got laid off, I'd be OK for at least six to nine months living frugally.

Gatekeeper
            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Re: Re: Question About Possible X-Box Purchase

Originally posted by nostromo
              They all come with controller-S now. Of course, you can plug it in the A/V connection. S-video and component are also an option, if you want a better image quality. It has a hard drive, so you don't need a memory card. You can connect it to the internet, but it's broadband only. It plays DVDs, but you need to buy a remote control (not too expensive).
              Excellent news all around. I don't think I'll hook it up to the Internet — my cable line was already spliced by the company so one length goes to the TV while another length goes to the computer. I'd probably have to pay them to splice it again (unless it can connect to the Internet through the cable line that goes into the TV).

Gatekeeper

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                Are you fantastically rich or something?
                Tsk, tsk, Agathon. No, but I wish I were fantastically rich. Then I'd buy a new iMac at the same time as the gaming machines!

Gatekeeper

Comment

Can you give me some of your money?
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Question About Possible X-Box Purchase

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                    Excellent news all around. I don't think I'll hook it up to the Internet — my cable line was already spliced by the company so one length goes to the TV while another length goes to the computer. I'd probably have to pay them to splice it again (unless it can connect to the Internet through the cable line that goes into the TV).

Gatekeeper
                    It connects to the internet through an ethernet cable. The cord that goes from the cable modem or DSL modem to your computer, not a cable line itself.

And you don't pay people to splice cable.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question About Possible X-Box Purchase

Originally posted by Asher

It connects to the internet through an ethernet cable. The cord that goes from the cable modem or DSL modem to your computer, not a cable line itself.

You also get contect you x-box and computer to the same internet connection I believe.
                      Donate to the American Red Cross.
                      Computer Science or Engineering Student? Compete in the Microsoft Imagine Cup today!.

Comment

You may want to check out Metal Dungeon, too. It's a virtually endless dungeon crawler. Great if you love leveling and creating characters and aren't terribly concerned about an indepth storyline. Plus, it'd be nice to know I wasn't the only person in the US to own a copy.

edit: grammatical issues.
                        Last edited by Harry Seldon; September 6, 2003, 04:05.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Question About Possible X-Box Purchase

Originally posted by Asher

I am familiar with an ethernet cable. I accidentally pulled it out of my 'puter last week, which made it so I couldn't connect to the Internet until I saw the obvious reason for the failure (I was upgrading stuff at the time ... software, drivers, et al.).

Gatekeeper

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                            Can you give me some of your money?
                            Tsk, tsk, Tass. Just save like I do. Well, actually, what I did wasn't a *conscious* savings program. It just happened — after all, you can buy only so many material things before boredom sets in.

Gatekeeper

Comment

So what wasnt mentioned yet, is that you'll need a switch or router between your cable modem and the Xbox and puter.
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                              X