Pest Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pest Problem

No, I'm not talking about any problem here on Apolyton.

I'm talking about my apartment -- why do crickets, beetles, and cockroaches insist on making themselves feel at home in MY apartment?

I am tired of filling the air in my apartment with toxic fumes from Raid.

I want non-toxic, safer alternatives that are still effective in deterring and/or killing these pests -- other than getting insect guts on the bottom of my shoes.

HOW do these pests get into my aparment anyway -- I need to find out where the damn crevices are!

I just cut one cricket's head off a few minutes ago, and now have it trapped in an upside jar to watch and observe it -- it's still alive, so I want to see how long it can live without its head.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

seal any holes anywhere in the room with several healthy layers of duct tape.

it works. really.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Duct tape??

You still have huge stockpiles from that panic of the advice from the Homeland Defense a year ago, don't ya?

Comment

The damn headless cricket is still alive.

Comment

what? calling me a DHS reactionary? idiot. duct tape fixes ANYTHING, before or after His Majesty Ashcroft tells us to use it. anyone knew that.
          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
            what? calling me a DHS reactionary? idiot. duct tape fixes ANYTHING, before or after His Majesty Ashcroft tells us to use it. anyone knew that.
            I was

J

O

K

I

N

G

Oh, I finally killed the headless cricket with a blast of Raid.

Comment

First, keep your apartment clean. Cockroaches eat anything. Second, seal all crevices that you can find, including the tiniest ones. Third, seal any and all grates in the floor or near foot of walls in places such as kitchens and bathrooms with duct tapes. Forth, there are other non-toxic devices to off roaches. For example, there are roach traps (they can go in but not out). There are also these little boxes that are said to be very effective, one brand goes by the name of Combat.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                First, keep your apartment clean. Cockroaches eat anything. Second, seal all crevices that you can find, including the tiniest ones. Third, seal any and all grates in the floor or near foot of walls in places such as kitchens and bathrooms with duct tapes. Forth, there are other non-toxic devices to off roaches. For example, there are roach traps (they can go in but not out). There are also these little boxes that are said to be very effective, one brand goes by the name of Combat.
                Hey guess what -- I'm a clean type of guy in the first place, so the main problem are those damn crevices.

Thanks for the other info though.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                  Hey guess what -- I'm a clean type of guy in the first place, so the main problem are those damn crevices.
                  That's excellent, maybe you need to be extra clean for awhile, though. Also, you could contract an expert to check for crevices.

How old is your apartment?
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Fire, and lots of it.
                    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

That's excellent, maybe you need to be extra clean for awhile, though. Also, you could contract an expert to check for crevices.

How old is your apartment?
                      Well, since I live in a student apartment for graduate singles and married people, maintenance will probably be responsible on that end.

But on my own, I can try the duct tape method after I find as many crevices as possible.

I think these apartment builidings are from the 70's??
                      not sure

Comment

Originally posted by elijah
                        Fire, and lots of it.
                        Guys -- don't let him anywhere near matches.

Comment

MrFun: God made pesticides for a reason

Comment

So I can choke on the toxic fumes?

no thanks

Comment

Well, since I live in a student apartment for graduate singles and married people, maintenance will probably be responsible on that end.
                              Ah, that could be a problem. If your neighbours are sloppy, the pests will inevitably invade your place.

But on my own, I can try the duct tape method after I find as many crevices as possible.
                              Eh, probably not duct tapes, but some kind of sealant (usually some polymer). Also check for a large gap underneath your apartment door. You can find something in a hardware store to fix that too.

Comment

Working...
                              X