How do truth drugs work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do truth drugs work?

I saw a reference to sodium penthanol in another thread, and I began to wonder.

How do truth drugs work actually? What parts of the brain / psychology they affect?

Do they make it "difficult" to lie?

Do they make it "difficult" to keep silence?

Do they make you want to tell the truth cause it's cool?

Why can't you just ignore a question instead of answering it?

Not very well

The real answer is that truth drugs are not that reliable.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I think they remove inhibitions and make it harder to form cohesive thoughts. But then I've never taken any so I wouldn't know, per se.

Comment

The CIA considers them extremely unreliable.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I *think* they make you feel so kind that you'll answer anything you're asked...
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

They make you drunk-ish. You're extremely suggestable in that state, but you'll pretty much say anything.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

From Everything 2:
              n 1942, the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) began top secret research to develop a speech-inducing drug for use in intelligence interrogations. They felt that a drug would be useful for screening their own agents in order to identify German sympathizers and double-agents. Their "Truth Drug" (TD) was an extremely high concentration of marijuana, and through a process of esterification they obtained a highly concentrated liquid. This product had no color, odor, or taste. They even used TD on themselves, their companions, and many others in hopes to create an effective truth serum but the results varied wildly and the serum was still not effective.

AND

The OSS reported: "TD appears to relax all inhibitions and to deaden the areas of the brain which governs the individual's discretion and caution. It accentuates the senses and makes manifest any strong characteristics of the individual."

I love everything
              cIV list: cheats
              Now watch this drive!

Comment

And then they moved on to LSD:

It was at this time that the CIA turned to LSD-25, a derivative of Lysergic Acid.
                Now watch this drive!

Comment

And Sodium Pentothal:
                  Thiopental Sodium is a barbiturate that makes the neural membrane more permeable to chloride ions. In a small dose, its effect is to remove the inhibitions of normal behavioural restraints. It also relieves tension and anxiety, and has been shown to make people talkative. Higher doses result in a stupor and inhibit independent thoughts and actions - and the person becomes more suggestible and less willful. At higher doses it can knock a person unconscious.
                  Now watch this drive!

Comment

Hm, no problem to lie under marijuana influence ... but ok your are more open and often speak your mind ... so in high dosages I dont know, but I highly doubt it
                    If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

thanks

Comment

They're a violation of cognitive liberty.
                        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

wtf is cognitive liberty?

Comment

The ability to think on your own without governmental "aid".
                            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

If you are so degenerated into vegetable matter that you need governmental aid to think on your own, I don't think constitutional rights really apply

Comment

Working...
                              X