No announcement yet.

This sucks...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racism is morally repugnent so making admissions policy based upon race is also morally repugnent.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Part of the problem is definitely the values instilled by their parents. Some minority children think the only way they can become successful is by becoming a basketball player or becoming a rapper. If they were taught to work hard and become educated, so maybe they can give their children a better life than their parents gave them.

Unfortunately this problem is very difficult to solve, because there are no laws about what parents must teach their children.

The biggest problem with AA is that minority children from middle and upper class families who get all the tutoring and the private counseling and college planning end up getting the most from the system. Were they disadvantaged because of their race? Absolutely not. The system needs to be changed.

Comment

Isn't the University of Texas a public school? Thats pretty ironic seeing how DF is so much against public education.
        How is that ironic? I'm already being forced to pay for it. In a perfect world, I wouldn't be forced to pay for it, and as such I'd be in private education. But unfortunately, this isn't a perfect world, and even if I shell out for private education I'll still be paying for public education. Immoral? It certainly is, but it isn't immoral for me to find a way to derive benefit from what is being forced on me.
        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

The lima deltas on the supreme court who voted that declared that making admissions policies based upon race wasn't reacism are fools who should be recalled.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
            "reverse racism" as in, white men sure have it tough now because of AA
            Which wasn't the point of my post...
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

How is that ironic? I'm already being forced to pay for it. In a perfect world, I wouldn't be forced to pay for it, and as such I'd be in private education. But unfortunately, this isn't a perfect world, and even if I shell out for private education I'll still be paying for public education. Immoral? It certainly is, but it isn't immoral for me to find a way to derive benefit from what is being forced on me.
              Its ironic because one of the institutions that you rail against is educating you. Its like if I'm against any type of national service and I join the army, I'd be going against one of my beliefs.
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

So it's ok for you guys to call me a racist because I support AA??

So how do you feel when AA supporters make the bastardizing statement that YOU are racist because you oppose AA??
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

How can you make that statement because opposing AA means no advantage to anybody based on skin color, thus everyone is equal, therefore no racism.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                    How can you make that statement because opposing AA means no advantage to anybody based on skin color, thus everyone is equal, therefore no racism.
                    On the other hand, some people would oppose AA if they felt it was giving any sort of aid to minorities, just because said people are racist twits. Different people will have different rationales.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaak
                      I think those in college, and those with opportunities shoud be there and have those privaledges because they worked for them, not because they were handed such graces for the color of their skin.
                      I have to disagree with this.

You think Boosh got in Yale because he had good academic credentials, or because of his family connection?
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                        Yeah -- eliminating AA will magically create true equality, AND eliminate racism.

I'm a whitey -- I don't hate my own race. I am not racist, and neither are people who oppose AA are necessarily all racist either.

Why can't you give me the same respect that I give you guys?
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• I have to disagree with this.

You think Boosh got in Yale because he had good academic credentials, or because of his family connection?
                          I don't know, i haven't seen his high school transcripts or test scores...have you?
                          "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

• But unfortunately, this isn't a perfect world, and even if I shell out for private education I'll still be paying for public education. Immoral? It certainly is, but it isn't immoral for me to find a way to derive benefit from what is being forced on me.

I guess it isn't immoral for you to compromise your beliefs? :cure:. Like LoA said, if he was against the military, he wouldn't join the army for the benefits (paying for college). That would just be silly. By being against public education and then going to a public school because 'you are paying for it anyway' is hypocritical to the max... and seem to show you have no problem with public education when it benefits you.

Anyway, I'm at a private law school, but I have no problem paying for public universities.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• LoA,

Its ironic because one of the institutions that you rail against is educating you.
                              True, and if I had my way, I would not be sending tax dollars to support it. Now, since I am forced to do so, I'm certainly going to find some way to get value for my money. Nothing immoral there, as long as I don't actually support having the institution. I'd vote against it in a second.

Its like if I'm against any type of national service and I join the army, I'd be going against one of my beliefs.
                              No, actually you wouldn't.

Imran,

I guess it isn't immoral for you to compromise your beliefs
                              It isn't compromising my beliefs. I would vote against public education in a second, but as long as I'm being forced to pay for it, I'm going to try to derive value for my money.

Like LoA said, if he was against the military, he wouldn't join the army for the benefits (paying for college).
                              That isn't actually what he said.

By being against public education and then going to a public school because 'you are paying for it anyway' is hypocritical to the max...
                              No, railing against public education and then voting in favor of it would be hypocritical.
                              Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                              Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

• David Floyd, this thread ultimately proves what a racist you are.

Comment

Working...
                                X