Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer gods of Apolyton, I impore your aid!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer gods of Apolyton, I impore your aid!

Ever since I got hooked up to broadband today every so often I get a message every so often about a remote procedure thingie screwing up. I get a minute countdown that I can't cancel and then my computer shuts off.
    Any idea what this is or how to fix it?

thanks!
    Stop Quoting Ben

Symantec security research centers around the world provide unparalleled analysis of and protection from IT security threats that include malware, security risks, vulnerabilities, and spam.

Once that's done, run Windows Update and download all of the critical updates.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

What kind of broadband do they have in Korea? They have Yahoo ADSL as well?
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Also, as soon as you computer starts up, press Alt+CTRL+Delete. Click the processes tab. Locate the process "MSBlaster.exe" and right click it. In the context menu, click "Terminate process". That should take care of the problem, untill you can run the removal tool, and apply the patch.

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

removal tool didn't pick it up the first time around, I turned off system restore like Asher's link told me to.

I think I manually stopped it from restarting again. If it does I'll do what Asmodean told me since if I hit alt control delete now I don't get any processes tab...

thanks all!
          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Its funny how many people have been hit as soon as they hook up, despite blaster being a crappy virus.
            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

hmmmm, still no sign of blaster
              anything else could be causing this?
              oh well time to DL a whole summers' worth of windows updates...
              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

If it's Blaster, you'll just have to wait for Welchia to patch your box ... (assuming you have a Korean, Chinese or US-English version of Windows XP or 2000)
                This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

nope, I dragged my tower from the states as carry on

no idea what kind of internet I have, just that its good and fast, costs 20,000 won/month (about $17) and was installed while I was at work today.
                  Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

It sounds like the Blaster worm
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

If the removal tool doesn't pick it up, it's not Blaster. But then what the heck is it??

Asmodean
                      Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

I had something like this happen. I didn't have it but after installing all the patches from Windows Update it mostly stopped. I also have Norton Antivirus, which can cause some problems with your rpcstack. If you check your event log you may be able to pull an error code out and search google for it. If you had this problem too it requires a registry hack. What OS are you running? I never had a problem with 2000 but the moment I switched to XP I started getting pounded.

Comment

well whatever it is after getting a windows update and monkeying with the settings it stopped rebooting on me...
                          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

You've had a visit from the Twilight Zone, Boshko. Ghosts reside within your machine. But then...don't many Asian's believe in ghosts of some kind?

Asmodean

Comment

I had this about a week ago and I was already fully updated so I was a little confused to say the least. Checked windows update again.. no updates, updated my AVG antivirus and did a scan... nada, even ran spybot... still nothing. Rebooted me a total of about 6 times, I eventually gave up and left it till the next day and it hasn't happened since.

Still none the wiser as to what it was, cos I wasn't infected with anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X