Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sharman Networks sue K++ developers, force Google to remove K++ links from results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharman Networks sue K++ developers, force Google to remove K++ links from results

This issue is very serious.

K++ is what until recently has been known as Kazaa Lite. K++ (aka KPP) has until recently been an extention to Kazaa Lite, and was recently integrated into a single product.

Kazaa Lite is a program built on top of regular Kazaa, which strips the Kazaa sponsor ads, and the spyware it installs (such as Gator etc). It also installs several hacks and improvements to improve the interface, networking and so on.

Sharman Networks, the owners of Kazaa, have sued the developers of Kazaa Lite and K++.

What is more frightening, that they sent notice to Google demanding that it removed any sites relating to Kazaa Lite, from it's search results.

This issue is very serious, since as of now, our search results are not free, but rather subject to legal problems. In general this shows how the Digital Millenium Act is capable of limiting access to information, which was previously thought to be free.

Google is thought by many as their "starting point" to the web. They trust the search engine to provide trust worthy information for them to start browsing .

If google can be censored, so can any other site, ranging from yahoo to the new york times.

What is amusing, is that though Google has complied, they have posted a notice explaining that certain search results have been removed in compliance with the DMCA, and posted a link to the complaint letter by Sharman Networks which... you guessed it - shows an ordered list of the results that should be blocked.

Way to go Google

DMCA actions like this are akin to the government preventing an encyclopedia from saying what Communism is.

Then again, Google's response is like the encyclopedia inserting a special page with an image of the bird.

EDIT: IMO, Google should take one of these to court--it's HIGHLY unlikely that a court would not overturn at least part of the DMCA because of its "chilling effects" such as this.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Umm....A search for K++ and Kazaa Lite returned as normal.
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Look closer, Tass.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yeah, Tass, klite.tk or whatever it is has disappeared from the results listing.

Comment

[quote] "Hacked versions present a significant threat to the stability and security of users' computers by taking the certified Kazaa software and making unstable and potentially damaging modifications," [quote]
            (...Sharman wrote. From an article I found on Google News )

Bull****. Spyware and adware found in KaZaA certainly cause more problems than K-lite.

Comment

Its taking profit from the Sharman group more like.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Delistings like this open the chance for it to be used to suppress real free speech, however.

Comment

whats next the riaa demanding all search results containing "mp3" be removed??

Comment

What does DMCA has anything to do with this?
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

That would be a reasonable expectation.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                        What does DMCA has anything to do with this?
                        Oh boy, I wonder!

Maybe it has to do with distributing altered copyrighted code without permission? Just out on a whim here buddy!
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          Oh boy, I wonder!

Maybe it has to do with distributing altered copyrighted code without permission? Just out on a whim here buddy!
                          If you are so kind, please point out where in the DMCA that allows for this.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

It doesn't, hence why it's illegal?

Comment

It doesn't.
                              -30-

Comment

Working...
                              X