Am I overdoing it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I overdoing it?

Latley I seem to feel tired all the time and find it really hard to read (non-fiction) books for more then 30mins a go, and even then its a little stough at times. And my eyes always feel over-used, if you know what i mean, dry and everything.

Is this because I am trying to read a book on a subject I have little prior knowladge to (atm US Civil War), and sometimes i even try to read a fiction book too, aswell as teaching myself classical greek.

Am I over doing it? I need advice I think, for example, to people who study alot and etc, how to you set your day out for it?

Any help would be appreciated...
    eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

I could never read for more than 30 minutes in a row.

But then I can't concentrate enough to write huge essays, so maybe it's just me being illiterate

In the end, it doesn't matter. Relax a few days, get stoned and laid, it'll all come back.

And stop using my name

Comment

Don't over eat, or eat heavy stuff, and don't drink a lot of caffine... just read man., ecth

Also, I don't know how you study stuff or how your books are organized, but I find a lot easier and a lot more insightful to lump things together instead of reading over them... I.e. One battle at a time, in particular order, and in depth rather than timeline crap...

American Civil War kicks ass, just go rent the PBS special and tackle that, it's really long...
      Monkey!!!

Comment

I am reading James Mcpherson's 'Battle Cry for Freedom' and its bloody good, I just seem to feel so tired all the time. Maybe I am not doing enough excersise?

And i do eat alot, mabe that has something to do with it

Etch: I gave up getting stoned cos that didn't help me to read much , and where did I use your name

Comment

. . . . thought from the title, it was going to be about masturbation.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Well, i know I am over doing that

Its just that I am a tad worried, cos i start uni in about 3 weeks, and if i can't manage to read a history book for more then 30mins a day, I am screwed (seeing as I am doing a history degree...)

Is it lack of excersise? I mean, I don't go out at all, and i get up usually about 1-2pm, sometimes 3

Comment

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
              Well, i know I am over doing that

A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Is it lack of excersise? I mean, I don't go out at all, and i get up usually about 1-2pm, sometimes 3
                Dr Jamski says :

You're simply sleeping too much. This, paradoxically, makes you MORE tired.

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Yeah, i figured that, but what is the right amount of sleep? 8hrs?

Comment

Give or take, yeah. I get tired and cranky if I get less than 7, and I never need more than 9.
                    "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

so would this help me out a bit? And is there anything else I should try? like jogging or something???

Comment

Try 8 hours (I take 6, but I'm old) and go for at least a walk everyday. By being more tired, you'll sleep more deeply, and be more refeshed in the morning.

Note : don't cut down on sleep by staying up later - get up earlier. Sunlight is very good as a stimulant and an antidepressive.

-Jam
                        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Too much sleep will make you more tired, so yes, it will help somewhat. Aside from that, the best way to combat an inability to concentrate is, and I apologise if this seems unhelpful, but you simply have to push yourself. I suffer from an inability to concentrate on stuff at the best of times, but when it's an essay at uni that counts for 40% of my mark for a module I simply have to knuckle down and get on it.

Another thing that may help is, and you probably do this already, is to take regular breaks. Say, 5-10 minutes every hour.
                          "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

cheers, this is really helpfull.

So a walk a day atleast, but how long? and what time? before i goto bed, after i get up, or inbetween?

Comment

Well, it depends a lot on the book itself. Some are a lot easier to read than others of cource. As you're taking a history book about a war as an example it doesn't seem to good. Those are usually quite easy to read.

A while back I read a ph.D thesis that with the help of descriptive statistics investigated the development of the homesteads and the population in five swedish parishes during the 18th centrury. Now, that's hard to do without getting really bored.

If you actually read some nearly every day and not wait with all the books until it's time to do a test or something you'll probably do fine though.

Comment

Working...
                              X