Cal. Senate: Illegal doesn't really mean Illegal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Straybow
    a Mexican DL is valid for use in the US as DL and as general ID.
    So if I use a Mexican DL, Ming won't ban me

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

Originally posted by Jack the Bodiless

When did the word "illegal" become a noun?

There is no such thing as an "illegal".

There are people who have broken a law relating to immigration, and there are also people who have broken a law relating to driving without adequate training, thereby endangering others.

Some here seem to be arguing that an "illegal" should be compelled to break as many laws as possible. To justify calling them "illegals", perhaps?
      Don't blame the "legals", this term was invented by the Mexicanos who are here illegally.
      He's got the Midas touch.
      But he touched it too much!
      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Now don't go off and report me to the police, but how would I get my gardening done and my house cleaned by hardworking and skillful people for such little money? Back in Illinois where I grew up, teenagers do a lot of this kind of work. Here in California, it is the illegal aliens that do it - and do it a lot better than the average teen in other parts of the country.

The illegals also do a lot of the farm work in California.

They do a lot for us. It woud be nice if we could make this practice legal in some fashion without automatically granting these foreign workers citizenship.

I understand that Germany has the same situation with the Turks. They come to Germany to work, but are not granted citizenship. Very few in Germany would want the Turks to be kicked out en masse.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

Why not just make Cali teens get off their asses?
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
            It's more of a southwest slang term. Arizona and California at least.
            It's also a MidWestern term.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The illegals also do a lot of the farm work in California.

They do a lot for us. It woud be nice if we could make this practice legal in some fashion without automatically granting these foreign workers citizenship.
              Coming here to WORK is one thing. My father-in-law uses illegals to do his harvesting, and when they are done they go to another ranch and do the same. When the harvest is done (generally about 3-4 months) they go back to Mexico and do nothing for the rest of the year and they like it.

Some stay, and through their agency that hires them out to farms, they are able to get a work visa sponsered, and then after so many years of working on that visa the sponser pays for their citizenship.

No biggie, and that is how it should be done. Yet, Illegal still means they are here without consent of the law.
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                A few months back, a news program was interviewing legal residents and naturalized citizens regarding how they felt about the illegal immigrant problem. One of the interviewed, I think from Chile, stuck in my mind (quoting best as I can remember):

"It took me three years to enter this country legally, and another three years dealing with INS beaurocracy to gain permanent residency. Every time I hear about one of these amnesty programs, I feel like taking a marker and writing STUPID across my forehead."
                I know there are a few legal residents here, and certainly people here acquainted with them -- how widely is ths sentiment shared?
                i
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
                  This measure is stupid appeasement to the extremist latino lobby. According to NAFTA, a Mexican DL is valid for use in the US as DL and as general ID.
                  Yeah, a lot of things exist according to NAFTA. Tell US stores and banks they have to accept Mexican issued ID of any kind, See how far you get with that one. My wife was given **** in a Home Depot about using US Federal issued photo ID. The only thing having Mexican ID will get you is a defense to being rousted for having no ID on you.

And the state of California doesn't give a **** either - state law says once you establish residence for 30 days, you have to have a California DL.
                  When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

It's more of a southwest slang term. Arizona and California at least.

The rock group Molotov down here has a song "Frijolero" (literal translation: beaner) that's kind of funky and funny. Probably not to most gringos though.
                    For sure. Right on.

Cabron
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodean
                      Che: Don't you have unions to take care of that?

Whenever there is the smell of an illegal here in my country, the unions are all over his employer like flies on a turd.

Asmodean
                      How many of your citizens line up to do manual agricultural work in 30-38 C temperatures for 12 hours a day?
                      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker

For sure. Right on.

Cabron
                        Comeme, pendejo.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

Don't blame the "legals", this term was invented by the Mexicanos who are here illegally.
                          Wrong. They're referred to as pollos or migrantes both by themselves (for Mexican ones) and by Mexicans, referring to them in general. Depending on the regional economy, the majority at any given time are generally not Mexican, but from further south. Far more who are arrested claim Mexican nationality than have it, because INS deports to country of origin. If you're Guatamalan and want to get back up to the cotton fields around Bakersfield, would you rather go back to the US-Mexican border, or to Guatamala?

Every night between 9 and 10, when the Great White Buses come down with their cargo, the passengers are handed over by the Border Patrol to Mexican Immigration, who try to establish the real citizenship pf the deportees.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                            Why not just make Cali teens get off their asses?
                            The 13th Amendment makes it a bit difficult to get them out doing 12 hour days in the fields for less than minimum wage.

Comment

Wrong. They're referred to as pollos or migrantes both by themselves (for Mexican ones) and by Mexicans, referring to them in general.
                              Yea it seems like I am wrong upon further reflection. I first heard the term "illegals" used by chicanos in the 1970s, possibly in conjunction with Cesar Chavez's movement. I don't know if the term is older than that, but IIRC most other people used more pejorative terms at the time (wetback), or more complete terms like "illegal alien". Anyway, it seems like a chicano term most likely.
                              He's got the Midas touch.
                              But he touched it too much!
                              Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Working...
                              X