• Show
Clear All

huh??/

this is why my sex with a wookie thread was valid

would it be beastiality?

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The week of strange coincidences just keeps on happening. Only the other day I was reading up on the old TV show/TV movies Alien Nation that involved a race called the Tectonese being stranded on Earth when their slave ship crashed near L.A. When the subtext of racism wasn't being thrown in your face, the series did deal a lot on how to intergrate a non-human intelligent species into American culture.

I think the solution was to grant them all American citizenship a la Cubans fleeing Cuba because a) they had no way to go home and b) if they went home they'd be re-enslaved.
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun

extelligence?
        Extelligence, or collective intelligence to give it another name, is the ability (unique to humans as far as we know) to 'store' and 'process' some of their intelligence outside of the organism itself. The main repositories of extelligence are culture, civilization and the like.

When we say we are looking for intelligent 'aliens' we usually really mean extelligent aliens - dolphins are intelligent but not extelligent.
        19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

All these assumes, of course, that we can even recognise alien sentience and intelligence. I mean, they could be really alien. Totally unfathomable and not just a bit strange with funny ears.

Who wants to explain the concept of individual rights to a race of, say, swarming insects that communicate via, oh, biological radio emmitters and have a system of collective intelligence that doesn't recognise the concept of an individual? Lefty? MtG?

When you teach the intelligent hydrogen cloud on how to get a driver's license, call me.
          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by el freako

Extelligence, or collective intelligence to give it another name, is the ability (unique to humans as far as we know) to 'store' and 'process' some of their intelligence outside of the organism itself. The main repositories of extelligence are culture, civilization and the like.

When we say we are looking for intelligent 'aliens' we usually really mean extelligent aliens - dolphins are intelligent but not extelligent.
            thanks for the info
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild

Who wants to explain the concept of individual rights to a race of, say, swarming insects that communicate via, oh, biological radio emmitters and have a system of collective intelligence that doesn't recognise the concept of an individual?
              I would at once assemble my Warfleets to exterminate them as soon as possible.

My wars against the Klackons have taught me this Lesson
              Last edited by Proteus_MST; September 3, 2003, 18:41.
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
              Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Joe's apartment could really use a cleaning.
                -30-

Comment

Working...
                X