Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We may be annihilated, does ANYONE CARE?!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We may be annihilated, does ANYONE CARE?!!

Not too far after that Aztec prophecy that the instruments of man will turn on us in 2012.

Asteroid Heading for Earth, May Hit in 2014

LONDON (Reuters) - A giant asteroid is heading for Earth and could hit in 2014, U.S. astronomers have warned British space monitors.
    But for those fearing Armageddon, don't be alarmed -- the chances of a catastrophic collision are just one in 909,000.

Asteroid "2003 QQ47" will be closely monitored over the next two months. Its potential strike date is March 21, 2014, but astronomers say that any risk of impact is likely to decrease as further data is gathered.

On impact, it could have the effect of 20 million Hiroshima atomic bombs, a spokesman for the British government's Near Earth Object Information Center told BBC radio.

The Center issued the warning about the asteroid after the giant rock was first observed in New Mexico by the Lincoln Near Earth Asteroid Research Program. "The Near Earth Object will be observable from Earth for the next two months and astronomers will continue to track it over this period," said Dr. Alan Fitzsimmons, one of the expert team advising the Center.

Asteroids such as 2003 QQ47 are chunks of rock left over from the formation of the solar system 4.5 billion years ago. Most are kept at a safe distance from the Earth in the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.

But the gravitational influence of giant planets such as Jupiter can nudge asteroids out of these safe orbits and send them plunging toward Earth.

Well it's a long shot anyway...but the only thing they can do at this point is monitor it...
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Wasn't this story the same thing two or three years ago? "May hit in 2014"?

These things happen:
      1. Scientist finds asteroid that "may come within 500,000,000 miles" of Earth.
      2. Dip**** reporter who should be making my Big Mac instead of writing my news hypes it up.
      3. Media continuously refers to it whenever they run out of news until:
      4. Scientists say "Whoops, it will only come within 500,000,000 miles. Sorry"
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

As this is at least the third thread about this today I think people care a lot.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Someone on CNN said a chance for catastrophe is one in 909,000.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

3rd time is the charm.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

You're not wishing for this, are ya, Oerdin.

Don't tell me -- you're one of those disguised Martians that will somehow steer this asteroid into Earth?

Comment

Well, you know, it's a quaint way for the world to end before the US sends it to hell itself.
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

3rd time you don't say, the next page button isn't working on my browser.... so sorry... no spam intended.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                    You're not wishing for this, are ya, Oerdin.

Don't tell me -- you're one of those disguised Martians that will somehow steer this asteroid into Earth?
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I knew it -- just what I suspected.

Oerdin is up to some kind of evil scheme.

Comment

Speaking of Martians...you know there is a new Marvin the Martian Cartoon that comes on the Cartoon Network every saturday now... Duck Dodgers or something like that.

Comment

No Thorn... I'm not closing this just because you started it

There really has been at least one other thread on this identical topic that I've seen... and who knows, maybe more than one, and if I had seen it, I would have closed it as well...

So find the old thread and continue this there.
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                          X