English Slang / Rugby: Why I'm Going To Fail This Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English Slang / Rugby: Why I'm Going To Fail This Class

i'm taking a psychology class called "Expirimental Methods and Statistics" which essentially goes into a horribly detailed description of how to conduct an expiriment.

my professor is English, alright, at least he speaks the language (i've had bad expierences with Indian, Chinese, and Dutch professors before).

I can deal with his accent and his teeth (he's a walking sterotype, i swear it). I can even deal with some of his vernacular, like "pip pip", soccer is football, et al.

but then he assigns us a britsh textbook. alright, i can get the general gist of it, i can deal with the pointless vowels at the end of words, the odd names (Silus?), and even some of the slang used, but this paragraph, straigth from the book, leaves me dumbfounded:

Data from a nominal scale should not be used for arithmetic because doing so would be meaningless. For example, imagine if the England coach found that his number 7 (David Beckham) was injured. Would he consider replacing him with seven David Seamans (who plays number 1) or -- heaven forbid -- combine Phil and Gary Neville (at numbers 2 and 5)? Even more ludicrous, I used to play wing in rugby (number 11 -- the fast good-looking ones who score all the tries, ahem, well maybe not!). Imagine if one day the coach replaced a number 11 with a number 8 (burly bloke at the back of the scrum) piggy-backing a number 3 (huge bullock-like blokes at the front of the scrum)! They certainly wouldn't be as fast (or as good looking!) as a number 11. The only way that nominal data can be used is to consider frequencies. For example, we could look at how frequently number 11s score tries compared to number 3s.

all that "bullocks" can be summed up thusly: Nominal data is nothing more than a labeling system.

i read through 57 pages of this crap today, and as is my way, i have begun to develop a blind hatred of the english people as a whole.

so, whats all this bullocks? and what ARE bullocks?
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

IIRC, "bOllocks" is "balls". (The kind between your legs, not the kind in soccer or rugby.) Dunno what "bUllocks" is.

What? No comments about the English genetic inferiority? Who are you and what have you done with Uber KruX?
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

A bullock is a castrated bull. "Bullock-like" describes someone with the size - not to mention dexterity - of a bull.
      " ... and the following morning I should see the Boks wallop the Wallabies again?" - Havak
      "The only thing worse than being quoted in someone's sig is not being quoted in someone's sig." - finbar, with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
        IIRC, "bOllocks" is "balls". (The kind between your legs, not the kind in soccer or rugby.) Dunno what "bUllocks" is.

What? No comments about the English genetic inferiority? Who are you and what have you done with Uber KruX?
        the english may be inbred to all hell, but they're better than the darkies.

[/uberkrux]
        "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."

Comment

Uber Krux- can he deal with your American lardiness, xenophobia and love of stale cliches? How about your accent?

'Pip pip'- yeah right. I just bet he says that all the time- probably while making a big pot of tea, and buttering crumpets, with his foot on a peasant.

You need to stop watching the 1930s Disney Channel.
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I'd rather be a Paki than a Turk.

[/uberkrux]
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
              I'd rather be a Paki than a Turk.

[/uberkrux]

@molly: he said "pip pip", i sh*t you not, as we were getting ready to leave class.

he did not follow it with "cheerio", as the "1930's disney channel" has informed me he would.

Comment

Cheerio only follows "ta ta" not "pip pip."

When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

see? i'm not even up on my 1930's disney channel!

Comment

Originally posted by Uber KruX

@molly: he said "pip pip", i sh*t you not, as we were getting ready to leave class.

he did not follow it with "cheerio", as the "1930's disney channel" has informed me he would.
                    Cheerio?!?!? Sacrilege of the highest order. The only thing you ever say after "pip pip" is "chocks away" me old mucker.
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                      Cheerio only follows "ta ta" not "pip pip."
                      Actually "cheerio" and "ta ta" are synonyms. One doesn't usually use both.

"Toodle pip" sees occasional use too but only rarely as it sounds a little silly ...

I used to play wing in rugby (number 11 -- the fast good-looking ones who score all the tries,
                      Obviously a professor of outstanding intelligence and character.
                      Uber you are lucky to be taught by such.

Comment

I feel your pain. Today I discovered my Computer Architecture professor is this old Asian guy with such a thick accent that I can barely understand anything.

"Fora yo homawok, read chaptas two anda tsree"

Comment

Its so funny when the Americans are rude about the English Its like a little kid whining about having no friends.

"Well you all suk anyway, so I don't want you to like me"

-Jam
                          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

"Laters" usualy suffices..
                            www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                            X