X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who else is bothered by this?

revolve

link
    Aug. 26— With religion and pop culture intersecting more and more these days, perhaps it was inevitable: The Bible's gotten a Cosmo-style makeover.

With a trio of smiling teenage girls on the cover, along with teasers for beauty tips and dating advice, Revolve looks like it has more in common with Glamour than Gideon.

But don't judge the Good Book by its cover. Revolve is an honest-to-goodness Bible, encompassing the New Testament from Matthew to Revelation. But its magazine-like styling and bright cover will help it seem hipper to today's girls, the publishers hope.

"We asked teen girls how often they read the Bible," says Laurie Whaley, one of Revolve's editors and a spokeswoman for its publisher, Thomas Nelson Bibles. "The response that came back was, 'Well, we don't read the Bible.'

"They said, 'It's just too freaky, too intimidating. It doesn't make any sense.'"

Revolve is just the latest cross-pollination of religion and pop culture that has seen Christian-themed fiction climb the best-seller lists and Christian rock and rap get a foothold in the music world.

"Really, for the past 100 years, evangelicals have tried to use popular culture to draw people to their faith," says Lynn Schofield Clark, a sociologist at the University of Colorado's School of Journalism and Mass Communication who has written about Christianity, teens and popular culture.

Revolve may look like it has more in common with Glamour than Gideon, but it contains the complete New Testament.

A Bible With Quizzes, Top 10 Lists, and Celeb Birthdays

Young evangelical Christians like Neille Sybert say a pop-influenced Bible like Revolve is not a bad idea.

"It looks totally like a magazine," says Sybert, a 19-year-old saleswoman at Loaves & Fishes Christian Store in Vista, Calif. She thinks it would appeal to young girls who might feel embarrassed carrying around a black leather tome.

"It makes it fun to read the Bible," she says.

In addition to the biblical text — written in the modern English of the New Century Version — Revolve also features teen 'zine staples such as quizzes, Top 10 lists, and Q&A's. They focus, however, on religious topics like, "Are you dating a godly guy?" and inner-beauty advice. There are also tips on prayer, volunteerism, and calendars with entries, such as "Pray for a person of influence: Today is Michael Jordan's birthday" on Feb. 17.

Revolve has been on the shelves for barely a month, but Stephen Virkler, an assistant manager at the Family Christian Store in Fairfield, N.J., says his customers appear interested.

"They have to reach these kids in a different way," says Virkler, 31.

Revolve and similar efforts typically emphasize aspects of Christianity that might appeal to teenagers' attitudes. They describe Jesus as a radical who was not afraid to challenge mainstream society.

The content, however, hews to conservative Christian values on subjects like homosexuality and women's deference to men.

In one hypothetical question and answer, a girl asks, "How do you tell a friend that's your crush that you're into him without ruining your friendship?" Revolve counsels her: "You don't. Sorry. … God made guys to be the leaders. That means that they lead in relationships."

(i've only chosen excerpts.)

simply put, i think it's gone too far. is nothing sacred anymore? first there are bloody ads in the back of my church bulletin--ads! then you have nuts in alabama worshipping a rock and making my religion look bad. you've got idiots in positions of leadership who would much rather cast stones at homosexuals getting married rather than the fcukwits who get married and then divorce at the drop of a hat. you have showoffs wearing their christianity on their sleeve, forcing people to pray and then denouncing those who point out that religion really is a personal, private thing. brainless twits who believe everything their charismatic leaders say, including this crazed notion that christianity is being persecuted by america.

you have priests doing unpriestly things. christians espousing hatred of others, including other christians. you have hypocrites leading those down questionable paths of faith--those paths without thought, without independence, without true conviction, just something that looks like it.

i think i'm losing my faith. i don't like it.

god isn't dead, but jesus, he's probably long gone. and i can't say i blame him.
    B♭3

"Teen Study Bible found to increase Fun of Religion by 0.05%"
    (the Onion is always a good source to base your opinion on )

It doesn't matter, because no one will buy it, much less read it. Do you think teenage girls will really read 1,000+ pages?

In one hypothetical question and answer, a girl asks, "How do you tell a friend that's your crush that you're into him without ruining your friendship?" Revolve counsels her: "You don't. Sorry. … God made guys to be the leaders. That means that they lead in relationships."
    Whoever wrote its additional content, like this, should be ashamed of themselves.
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

apparently, the interest is there. some are wanting to get it.

and it makes me sad that the word of god is being dragged through the mud like this.
      B♭3

Comment

the Word has been dragged through worse mud.
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

it still is. those televangelists in the 80s, the politicians who cloak their naked, raw ambition in the glory of god and the stars and stripes...

this... "are you dating a godly guy"... crap just... it cheapens religion in a much more subtle way. at least with those former examples, there was the benefit of everybody with half a brain knowing the inherent hypocrisy in their behaviour. in this, it's... it's not there to spread the word. it's there to profit from it.
          B♭3

Comment

This may win a few converts, but it's a horrible marketing strategy for a religion, as religions aren't supposed to be fads that ya suddenly sign on with and then dump the next year.
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

I'll post my opinion when I stop laughing at the people who did this.
              American by birth, smarter than the average tropical fruit by the grace of Me. -me
              I try not to break the rules but merely to test their elasticity. -- Bill Veeck | Don't listed to the Linux Satanist, people. - St. Leo | If patching security holes was the top priority of any of us(no matter the OS), we'd do nothing else. - Me, in a tired and accidental attempt to draw fire from all three sides.
              Posted with Mozilla Firebird running under Sawfish on a Slackware Linux install.:p
              XGalaga.

Comment

"i think i'm losing my faith. i don't like it."

Christianity has seen worse idiots misrepresent it before. Making the Bible into magazine format pales compared to leaders who performed Inquisitions and Witch Trials. At yet the religion lives on....
                "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

shi, it's not just this.

i used to be able to feel his presence in mass.

these days, i go, but i feel bereft of god. i can't hear him anymore. and with all these things going on in the world...
                  B♭3

Comment

At a shop that sold paintings one time, I saw a painting of the Last Supper framed by ridiculous, gaudy rainbow lights.

UGH
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

first there are bloody ads in the back of my church bulletin--ads!
                      Why on earth is this shocking?
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

They aren't ads for new openings in heaven or prayer plans with free night and weekend minutes. Only these sort of 'sacred' advertisements should be allowed on the back of church documents.

Comment

sorry, I can't talk about religion without being overly sarcastic

Comment

Re: who else is bothered by this?

Making a Bible into "that thing" is an insult to Christians everywhere.
                            Unfairly Banned at Civfanatics twice...
                            To protest the war I am using the UN Flag - Howard has said most Australians are for the war so clearly I am not an Aussie.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS

I can understand your confusion (after all, it's just a schedule of the day's events and announcements, right?), but this does go against long-standing tradition, one that goes all the way back to Christ driving the merchants and moneychangers from the temple courtyard.

"My Father's house is a house of prayer, but you have turned it into a den of theives!"

While I have never ascribed any particular sacredness to church buildings ("My kingdom is not of this world"), the nature of the activities held within them preclude any profit-making ones.

I have never been a member of a church that put advertising on bulletins, and I'm not sure that I ever visited one that did.
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X