No announcement yet.

Solution to the Federal Deficit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm, 15%? Where'd that figure come from. It sounds much to high to me.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Please get rid of Social Security, for the love of god. That'll solve all your budget problems in a single stroke.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You could close the DEA and tax drugs instead. Hell, it works for cigarettes.

Comment

Hmmm, 15%? Where'd that figure come from. It sounds much to high to me.
          The Sydney Morning Herald's economics editor. It sounds rather high to me as well, but wasn't Bush boasting about the tax cuts being the biggest in US History?
          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

First set a strict limit on the amount anyone can spend on getting themselves elected. That way the arguments will be about whose policies are actually going to work rather than decided by who can spend enough to convince the voters. It would also reduce corporate influence by reducing how far in debt to particular interest groups a politician gets.

Spend the Medicare money on preventative healthcare and health education. People need to understand that they should look after their own health, not expect a pharmaceutical company to come up with a pill to cure them.

Decide what the military is actually for and have the military budget set accordingly. Do you really need a carrier battle group and a heavy division and a strategic bomber?

Engage with the european countries about reforming agricultural subsidies (hint - not all the EU countries are happy with the CAP). Perhaps the USA and EU should pull the plug on the WTO and let things move to a small number of regional trade blocks around the world that can negotiate effective bilateral deals with each other.

Unquantifiable I know but the problem is one of vested interests and the solution requires long term structural changes.
            Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I think it's quite simple to reduce the deficit, if politically unfeasable. Cut defence spending considerably (pre-Bush levels or maybe eve slightly lower), reduce other spending a la McCain's idea, and remove the Bush tax cuts. The level of tax pre-Bush was low enough to keep the US prosperous, especially relative to other developed natins that have higher tax. Defence spending in the US is massively higher per capita than most developed nations, and so can be cut. Yes it means there will be less interference in other nations, and less peacekeeping, but it can pass some of that on to other nations. The US as a whole needs no more military spending than the EU as a whole IMHO. Admittedly I would leave education and welfare spending static, because I think it's far more improtant to keep those than military spending, and you can balance the budget without doing both. This should balance without the need for tax rises other than repealing the Bush tax cuts. But an extra sales tax, like the European VAT is another option to create revenue. I understand that people want results for their tax rises, but it is sad that they do not understand that thecurrent system is unfeasable, and that tax rises are needed to keep the same level of public services, or those public services need to be reduced. You cannot have tax cuts and better services, as people seem to want.

Edit: How did I manage to have a rant about reducing spending without mentioning the CAP and farm subsidies. Destroy them. It really is that simple. **** the French, let's remove the CAP and do the same with the US farm subsidies (although the latter are much less harmful). Hell, I'd agree to QMV on much of the EUs work if we could have it on CAP. Most nations don't want it, its just that the French (and a few others IIRC) won't agree. The CAP is evil. It's just us, putting money in the pcokets of farmers to overproduce. We're not just ****ing developing countries, who import our dumped goods and cannot export theirs, even though they produce it cheaper, we're harming ourselves.

Sorry for the rant, but it's the most stupid and ugly piece of legislation I've ever seen, and responsible for so much hardship. "The CAP, so evil it's almost Finnish"
              Last edited by Drogue; September 2, 2003, 08:53.
              Smile
              For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
              But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                Relocate all Iraqis to other countries, and turn Iraq into a vacant, gigantic sandbox.
                Skip the relocation and go right to the sandbox.

Comment

One issue that has been overlooked here is the privatization of the military and how it has increased costs. The government outsources a lot of jobs to private firms that once used military personel. This has lead to a for-profit element that has crept into our defense spending in a big way. There was some discussion about it on MSNBC last week, but I regret I don't have any sources or figures.

Overall, there is government waste in every sector of government spending, that needs to be dealt with in a big way. I would create a commission of accountants to look at the entire budget and find government waste. Cutting spending without cutting the waste is a big mistake. Massive spending cuts are only going to hurt America. Instead, I would get more for our money, and make cuts in pork-related and corporate welfare programs.

I would also repeal the Bush-gift-to-the-rich-cuts, as well as instituting a progressive shift in the tax code, closer to pre-Reagan era (maybe 1950's-1960's) levels when America had a true progressive tax system. The burden should be put back on America's elite and taken off of the shoulders of the poor and middle classes. America was on the right track in the 1960's, but somehow, the junta of corporate scoundrels hijacked our country. The average net income for average workers in America has remained stagnant over 40 years, while income for the rich has increased dramatically. Everyone should be able to prosper in America, not just corrupt business leaders and those with wicked jump shots.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    While the deficit looks impressive, it's not that large, if the general magnitude is temporary.
                    I agree but what indications are there that the magnitude is only temporary?

Comment

Actually, a lot of economists are freaking out in concern that it might not be temporary - Bush's tax cuts knocked something like 15% off the US government's revenue base, meaning that the government's long run ability to pay for it's spending is reduced. That's a permanent structural change, not a temporary one.
                      Consider that there is income tax bracket creep which will raise taxes continuously over the next decade. If Bush had not lowered taxes, we would have been on track for an increasingly higher federal share of the economy. At the end of his term, Clinton oversaw a federal government that took a share of the economy that was equal to the largest in the post-WWII era. And this was in peace time! So Bush did the right thing in stopping this trend in its tracks.

As for the 15% reduction figure, that sounds about right. But it's not nearly as much as it might seem to your average Euro or Aussie, considering that the federal share of the economy is much lower than in any of these countries. Really, the parameters of federal taxation and spending have not changed over the last 50 years. Both federal spending and taxation have been about 18%-23% of the economy.

The only thing that needs to be done is fiscal discipline needs to be reinstituted. 2% federal worker wage increases instead of 4%. A little less pork here and there. That sort of thing.
                      Last edited by DanS; September 2, 2003, 10:23.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The only thing that needs to be done is fiscal discipline needs to be reinstituted. 2% federal worker wage increases instead of 4%. That sort of thing.
                        That's right... instead of taxing the super-rich, let's just cut worker wages!
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                          Please get rid of Social Security, for the love of god. That'll solve all your budget problems in a single stroke.
                          Those old people vote. In US politics Social security is called the 3rd rail (like the electric rail which powers street cars) because who ever touchs it is politically dead.

Comment

Actually, it would make them worse nowadays.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Actually, it would make them worse nowadays.

Really? Explain, please.

In US politics Social security is called the 3rd rail (like the electric rail which powers street cars) because who ever touchs it is politically dead.

Something even John McCain knows.

A man can dream, though, can't he?
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                                The only thing that needs to be done is fiscal discipline needs to be reinstituted. 2% federal worker wage increases instead of 4%. A little less pork here and there. That sort of thing.
                                I'm going to have to disagree with that one. We need cuts since social spending is going to have to massively increase over the coming years. We can't have the fiscal disipline your talking about if the rate of increase for social programs is always increasing. By all indications the worker per retiree ratio is going to keep getting worse for the next 30 years and social costs are just going to go up and up and up.

Comment

Working...
                                X