Movie decade madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movie decade madness

So the question is, which decade of the 20th century was the most creative one in terms of cinema? After all, film is trully the medium of the whole 20th century.

So, was it before the 10's and 20's? (I will put them togather since few films of the era made it to the time when anyone here could see them), the haday of studios in the 30's and 40's? Or was it the 50's as movies battle TV? Or the rebellions years of the 60's and 70's? Or the return of studios in the 80's and 90's?
    The Silent Era (pre-1930)
    9.09%
    The Thirties
    6.06%
    The Fourties
    6.06%
    The Fifties
    6.06%
    The Sixties
    6.06%
    The Seventies
    27.27%
    The Eighties
    9.09%
    The Nineties
    12.12%
    The Bananas
    18.18%
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

You fail to specify which century.

Comment

Shall I point you to the stupid questions thread?

Comment

Some of us might like films from the future.

Comment

Then make a thread about your favorite future films. This thread does not assume the ability to see into what has not yet occured to be possible.

Comment

It really depends on the proximity of glue to your nose.

Comment

Now that the threadjack is over....

Comment

Wait and see...

If Transmetropolitan ever becomes a movie, the WORLD will know the future.
                -30-

Comment

Everything was new in the 1930s so they simply had to be more creative. They couldn't just endlessly remake old films like they do today. Also there were few special effects so they really had to concentrate on writting a better script if they wanted people to see the movie.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I think it's hard to really pinpoint a 'most creative' decade. Every decade has seen it's truly amazing and moving films, along with it's massive flops. And while it's true that a more recent film may have a technological edge, that doesn't make it any less creative or innovative than any film before it. So banana.
                    "Beauty is not in the face...Beauty is a light in the heart." - Kahlil Gibran
                    "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves" - Victor Hugo
                    "It is noble to be good; it is still nobler to teach others to be good -- and less trouble." - Mark Twain

Comment

I voted for the silent era where film as an artform was created from disparate elements such as the stage, photography and painting. It is de facto the most creative period. Ranking henceforth becomes much more difficult, but generally inertia has set in over time with the creative impetus limited more and more to technical innovations and the growth in the sheer number of films and film industries generating the occasional fresh idea. Thus more new ideas occurred earlier, though there have been a number of periods during which nothing much new occurred.
                      He's got the Midas touch.
                      But he touched it too much!
                      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

I myself voted for thr 70's: filmakers of the time explored lots of social and psychological aspect that previous filmakers had avoided, as well as making some techincal achievements. They also laid the gorundwork for the 80's and later with films like Jaws and Star Wars.

Comment

This depends on which part of the world you're reffering to:

USA: nineties
                          Denmark: Sixties and seventies (The last good danish movie was made in 1979)
                          Germany: Seventies
                          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I feel personally that it may be hard to quantify, because expectations were raised each decade by better methods of production, more exposure in the media.

Sensationalism or even slash 'n gash horror films mean more to some than it means to me. Im not into Godzilla or even King Kong, I personally enjoyed the western and war films of the 60's versus any other era.

So I vote 60's.

Peace

Grandpa Troll
                            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Everything was new in the 1930s so they simply had to be more creative.

Shouldn't this be the other way around??? Because it WAS new they didn't have to do alot to 'awe' the audience, abit like like the beginning of special effects.
                              -
                              I would say the 70' too, most of the good directors started at that time too.
                              Deer Hunter, Apocalypse, French connection etc..
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X