"No matter how advanced games become, are they as fun as the older ones""

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "No matter how advanced games become, are they as fun as the older ones""

I ask this question as I recently started playing "Z" again after many years of it being in mothballs. It was far more fun to me than AoK is now. Obviously, AoK is more advanced than Z, but I often find if I leave a game alone for around 6 months, it will entertain me for at least two weeks. So, it poses the question "No matter how advanced games become, are they as fun as the older ones" (e.g. Sim City 4 is just as fun as Colonisation when it was first released)

Discuss.

I spent DAYS even weeks playing some of those early primative games from 10-15 years ago. I can't say the same from the newer games.

Of course they may have something to do with having less free time as we get older.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

that works for original games, not so much sequels and derivitives.

civ3 > civ2 IN MY OPINION. DONT FLAME THIS., and i can't go back.

i play games like Star Control, Star Reach, and Ascendancy when i feel like it, and they're fairly old.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

If you have the right ammount of games, you might never have to buy more again. By the time you finish with the last, you'll want to play the first .
        cIV list: cheats
        Now watch this drive!

Comment

There are plenty of new games that are fun, BUT it is much easeir now to get bogged down wth all the new possibilities and the new graphics and at the end come out with a product that looks fine but in the end doesn;t really work. The limitations of the past forced the game developers to stick to fewer avenues to amke something fun. They still failed a lot of the time, but they had less distractions.

For example, I can;t really stand most of the new Mario games that are essentially 3D: by the same token, I didn;t like the Original Mario that much. I think the pinnacle was Mario 3, and Mario for the SNES was a great runner up.

For me though, the SNES version of Sper Mario Kart is king.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

You young Whippersnappers.

The best games ever are:

1. Jetpac (you have a jetpack)
            2. Joust (what could be better than flying ostriches?)
            3. Trashman (you collect trash and avoid dogs and angry citizens)
            4. Atic Atac
            5. The Lords of Midnight.
            6. Spellbound
            7. Sweevo's World
            8. Jet Set Willy
            9. Jack the Nipper (you're a toddler and get points for being naughty)
            10. Dun Darach
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Any list without SMB3 or SMK is delusional.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
                Any list without SMB3 or SMK is delusional.
                Too new.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Comeoff it grandpa: These were the best games ever!2

Comment

I mean.. look at the graphics!!!!!
                    Attached Files
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

I forgot Skooldaze - Grange Hill for your Spectrum!!!
                      Attached Files
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Championship Manager is a favorite of mine, I own nearly every edition but have virtually not touched CM4.
                        Been playing the old classic 97/98 today. I could play this on a 386 no doubt.
                        Championship with Hellas Verona after 7 seasons
                        Excellent stuff!
                        Cheers
                        Matt
                        Up The Millers

Comment

Well, look at this:

arg!!

Comment

Donkey Kong!

Comment

There are still plenty of great games being released, For example, Ghost Master, Dark Fall, Mafia, Galciv, Starfleet Command, Syberia, Rollercoaster Tycoon, etc. that stand up to (and sometimes beat) some of the great games of yesteryear.

However, to some extent, I certainly would agree that theres a valid complaint to be made. Part of it may be simply that I had more time to play games (and enjoy them) long ago as apposed to now. Another part is that we remember the good games while forgetting the horrid games. However, to some extent, there are a lot less experimental and unique games nowadays - probably due in part to the high cost of games, so that now, a single individual cant create a game in their garage the way it once was. Also, given the high cost, a return in profits is much more important, meaning that publishers want games that have a history of doing well - which also means that entire genres (like wargames, adventure games, etc, get overlooked). And, with graphics (and music) becoming more and more important (to both the designer and the player) it's not suprising that the gameplay might not be able to catch up - consider games now that require most of the effort to be concentrated on the graphics, the engine, the music, etc, whereas 15 years ago, when there was little (or not) graphics, most of the effort could be put on the game.

But, as I said, there will continue to be some good (and occasionally unique) games released.
                              "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

Working...
                              X