Computer Resources - help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Resources - help.

I have a serious resource problem with my PC and desperately need some techy help.

Within a very short time of logging on my PC the screen updates slow up by loads, e.g. when typing into the Poly thread box the text does not appear straight away and a 10 word sentence can take 10 secs before the text is there, all I see is a flashing cursor.

Everything was ok with my PC until a week ago. I don’t know what has happened, whether it has a virus or what?

About my PC: I have had it 5 years so it’s a little old. It’s a Gateway 2000, 600mhz Pentium3 with Windows 98, 256 MB RAM, 32 MB Nvidia TNT 2 Card, 20 GB HD (though its always around 200 – 500 off its limit and has been for a year or so), oh and I have ADSL connection at 576000 BPS and ZoneAlarm firewall.

When the problems started last week I also started getting 2 error messages just after Windows booted, the first one says “Cannot find the file “MSINFO.exe””.

What could be causing these problems, can someone suggest what I should go and investigate, what settings I need to check change etc.

Do you need any more info?

Odd, I've only got a little better and I'm fine.

1. Free up space on your hard drive
    If you're within 200-500mb of your limit all the time, maybe your swap file (hard drive based RAM--slow as the dickens but better than what you're experiencing right now ) isn't getting enough space. Clear out a lot of ****--burn it to a CD if it's largely just backups and old files or archives that are just taking up space on your hard drive.

2. Check for viruses
    Viruses are usually the reason of sudden unexplained slow downs like this. Also, check for spyware as well.

I'll look up your msinfo.exe problem on Google later. For now, do these two things (in whatever order) and it should help at least a little
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Only thing I can think of removing all your *.tmp files. Update your firewall in case someone is pinging you to death.

It might be a virus, I dont know, but definitely use some virus checking software if possible.
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Thanks will do that for starters, I didnt get the second error wuick enough. I will post it tomorrow.

How do I detect spyware and where can I download a good virus checker?

Any other sugestions appreciated.

Comment

AVG is the most popular free virus checker. http://www.grisoft.com

SpyBot is the most popular free spyware checker. http://security.kolla.de/
          meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

while being all nerdy : ) how do I get a still pic from my (new) webcam to come up on 'poly?

Comment

Reds: what software are you using?
              cIV list: cheats
              Now watch this drive!

Comment

Originally posted by elijah
                Only thing I can think of removing all your *.tmp files. Update your firewall in case someone is pinging you to death.

It might be a virus, I dont know, but definitely use some virus checking software if possible.
                Is it safe to delete all of the .tmp files? I didn't want to because I wasn't sure if they were being used...

Asher?

Comment

Yes could do with Ashers advise here. Ive already done what MrMitchel said (including deleting 1GB from my HD) and the problem still persists - going to do a disk clean up and stuff over night now.

I did find 91 instances of Worm/kbot on my machine - all gone now. Oh and a lot of Spyware to.

Thanks Mr Mitchel

I still need more advise though as the problem is still here.

Comment

Have you tried the Restore disk that came with your computer? I can't find anything in Microsoft KB.

Have you flipped through temp, cookies, history, etc.?

Does the problem persist with other sites or other browsers?
                    Now watch this drive!

Comment

Yes I get the problem with other sites as well. Not sure about the restore disk? Do you mean the Start-up disk I had to make or are you suggesting I reformat and re-install wWindows etc.

If its the latter I am really loathe to do that as its really a last resort. I have to many files, MP3's etc to back up. I had to reformat about a year ago and it was a nightmare to get all the programs reloaded, not to mention spending a week backing up data etc.

Keep the suggestions coming guys, many thanks for all your help so far by the way.

Oh and re deleting temp files, can I delete them all? If not which ones do I need to keep?

Comment

If it's a gateway, it might have came with a disk to repair the installation vs. a nuke and pave disk. Try a program like "HDvalet" (from pcmag.com). But "missing MSINFO.EXE" sounds bad.
                        Now watch this drive!

Comment

You could always do a complete clean reinstall
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

format c:/ -u
                            -30-

Comment

Whats is a clean reinstall, I am guessing that just reinstalls key Windows programs?

Comment

Working...
                              X