Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is the best place to LEGALLY download music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And why would you use iTunes, which uses an obscure format and even more obscure DRM that's only supported on the iPod out of all digital audio players?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
      Legal, smegal.
      *something makes skywalker think Oerdin is toeing the line on 'Poly's piracy policy*

Comment

You guys are awesome.

I'll check out BuyMusic.

I was thinking itunes because I heard it had alot of success.

I miss Audiogalaxy though. I found so much good new music I'd never heard before because of the way they laid out the site.
        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I programmed the drums
          So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
          Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
            And why would you use iTunes, which uses an obscure format and even more obscure DRM that's only supported on the iPod out of all digital audio players?
            Because it's better software, easier to use (all in one music management), has more consistent and more lenient DRM, it doesn't use Microsoft file formats which frees you from Uncle Billy's malign influence, and it's the one the others are slavishly trying to copy as is clearly evidence from buymusic's rip off ads.

Nuff said...

And it's up to manufacturers to support the AAC standard. I see no reason why they won't when ITMS for windows is released. After all they'd be stupid not to.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
              Because it's better software
              Better than any music player in Windows? I disagree.

easier to use (all in one music management)
              Just what about music requires it being managed?

has more consistent and more lenient DRM
              BuyMusic doesn't delete all your files the instant you switch your region to anything other than the USA.

it doesn't use Microsoft file formats which frees you from Uncle Billy's malign influence
              Instead it uses Apple and Dolby's formats -- which are notoriously lenient, right?

and it's the one the others are slavishly trying to copy as is clearly evidence from buymusic's rip off ads.
              Fair enough, if you admit iMusic copied PressPlay in the first place.

And it's up to manufacturers to support the AAC standard. I see no reason why they won't when ITMS for windows is released. After all they'd be stupid not to.
              Because Dolby charges an insane licensing fee for every AAC decoder in hardware. Microsoft (WMA), doesn't.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Better than any music player in Windows? I disagree.
                Better than WMP which is ugly and badly organised.

Just what about music requires it being managed?
                You obviously don't own a lot of music. If I had my way I'd transfer all of my 1500+ CD's onto my hard drive. Now you try looking for all the performances featuring just Peter Donohoe in that.

BuyMusic doesn't delete all your files the instant you switch your region to anything other than the USA.
                It doesn't delete them, does it? I thought you just couldn't use them. If you want an answer, ask Drake.

Instead it uses Apple and Dolby's formats -- which are notoriously lenient, right?
                All the same and no limits except 3 computers and 10 burns of each playlist (unlimited burns of any one track).

Fair enough, if you admit iMusic copied PressPlay in the first place.
                That's lame even for you.

Because Dolby charges an insane licensing fee for every AAC decoder in hardware. Microsoft (WMA), doesn't.
                Insane? What - 5 dollars?

Take your pathetic anti-Apple trolls elsewhere...
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                  Better than WMP which is ugly and badly organised.
                  We've been through this -- you can use any media player in Windows that uses DirectShow -- and I don't know of any that don't.

You obviously don't own a lot of music. If I had my way I'd transfer all of my 1500+ CD's onto my hard drive. Now you try looking for all the performances featuring just Peter Donohoe in that.
                  Certainly, you'd use the music library feature in Winamp or, say, WMP.

It doesn't delete them, does it? I thought you just couldn't use them. If you want an answer, ask Drake.
                  It certainly does -- without warning, too.

All the same and no limits except 3 computers and 10 burns of each playlist (unlimited burns of any one track).
                  I was referring to the companies, which are notoriously litiguous *******s with anything like FORMATS. You made it sound like it being a Microsoft format is a bad thing, then Microsoft's format is technically superior and cheaper. And Apple and Dolby both have long histories of being legal *******s, Microsoft is almost always on the defending end of legal issues.

That's lame even for you.
                  How is it lame? Apple users.
                  You never get that Apple copies everything from someone else, but when Apple does it it's suddenly a first just because they hype it up like no tomorrow. First GUI, first digital music service, first 64-bit PC. Have they truly been first in anything?

Insane? What - 5 dollars?

Take your pathetic anti-Apple trolls elsewhere...
                  It's hardly pathetic, it's the harsh truth.
                  AAC will see little to no adoption in the market because it costs a lot and there's no need for it. iTunes has died off pretty much, its sales are not even worth noting. As I predicted, it was only the novelty of it that led to an early success. It took a week to make 1M sales and 4 months to make another.

Comment

Overseas, in a country where US copyright laws dont apply.
                    Visit First Cultural Industries
                    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

People, this is a smokescreen. He probably already have 1000+ songs off Kazaa and when the feds catch him, he'll point to this and say "But I wanted to LEGALLY download music!!!"

Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Working...
                      X