Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there such a thing as a "Dumb question"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there such a thing as a "Dumb question"?

I ask this question seriously.

Questions are inherently smart in that they expose a desire to learn.

However, some questions are so blindingly obvious that their intelligence is in doubt.

Are there dumb questions? Or just dumb people? Or people who are dumb only while they're asking the questions?
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Per the Demotivators Calendar from Despair, Inc.

"There are no stupid questions,
    but there are lots of inquisitive idiots."
    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

Just like "that's a stupid question".

Unless someone else asks one.

Comment

Yes, there are stupid question, though most fall into the "that has already been answered" category.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

'Is there such a thing as a "Dumb question"? '

thats the dumbest question i have ever seen....
          eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

A desire to learn doesn't make one intelligent.

A question can convey the stupidity of a person, by showing that they don't understand even simple things.

It is a BAD thing to have questions. It is a good thing to ask them. If you don't have questions, you already understand it. If you do have them, however, it is a good thing to ask them.

Comment

"If I jump off a 10000000 foot tall building with nothing to stop or break my fall, will I die?"

Now, would somebody like to argue how that is not a stupid question...
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If you don't know the answer, it is not stupid to ask it.

However, not knowing the answer is stupid.

Comment

Technically, as stupidity is the incapability to process information (well), and a question cannot process information, all questions are stupid

Comment

Maybe there is such a thing as dumb questions. I find it really annoying when people are so desperate to find a way to start a conversation with someone, that they ask someone if they're doing something, that they obviously are doing, like:

"So, you're washing your car today, huh?"
                    "No, I just like to get my car wet for no good reason."

"So, you're studying right now?"
                    "No, I just like to read textbooks for FUN."

"So, you like to play chess?"
                    "No, I'm playing chess right now, because I hate playing it."

duh, people
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

"No, I just like to get my car wet for no good reason."

"No, I just like to read textbooks for FUN."

"No, I'm playing chess right now, because I hate playing it."
                      I really hate it when people give those answers. I might be just trying to be polite and start a conversation and they give some dumb answer. When people ask questions like that it is because they are looking for more info. Why can't they just answer like a normal person and say this:

"Yeah, I just went on a trip through Wisconsin and there were a lot of muddy roads, so my car needs to be washed."

"Yeah. I have a big test tomorrow"

"Not really. I'm just bored right now."
                      "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

There are also questions that are semantically null. "When is Spain?" I think that qualifies as stupid.
                        I refute it thus!
                        "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

"If I jump off a 10000000 foot tall building with nothing to stop or break my fall, will I die?"

Actually the answer to that question is no. If nothing will stop or break your fall, you obviously will never touch the ground
                          Ok eventually you will starve...
                          /jackass
                          If its no fun why do it? Dance like noone is watching...

Comment

If you don't jump off the building, you will still die, it will just probably take a couple decades.
                            I refute it thus!
                            "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

10,000,000 feet?

That's ~2,000 miles...several factors go into play on that one. You're probably high enough (dunno) to break away from Earth's gravity, so if you've got a space suit with a life support system, you should stay alive for a couple of hours.

If you are falling to Earth, what is terminal velocity again? It will surely take a while to hit the bottom.
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Working...
                              X