• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teachers diagnosing ADD in 50% of cases: study

"Teachers diagnosing ADD in 50% of cases: study"
    Doctors act as 'rubber stamp'

quote:
    A study of schoolchildren with attention deficit disorder found more than half were first diagnosed by their teachers, with some physicians pressured to "rubber stamp" the finding and put the student on medication.

Dr. Leonard Sax, a family doctor and psychologist in the United States, interviewed 400 child psychiatrists, pediatricians and family doctors in Washington, D.C., Northern Virginia and suburban Maryland for his study.

"In the great majority of cases, teachers were the first to suggest the diagnosis. Doctors are busy; they've got a room full of patients. And very seldom do they do their own investigation. They just take a paper from the
    school saying, 'We think Justin has ADD would you please prescribe Ritalin' and doctors do it. The doctors are acting as a rubber stamp for teachers,"
    Dr. Sax said.

After he interviewed the doctors for his study, many sent comments expanding on their experience.

"One said he did do an evaluation and concluded the child did not have attention deficit disorder [but] the principal of the school then called his superior, angry, and said how dare the doctor question the school's
    diagnosis, and said the doctor should be disciplined," Dr. Sax said. "He was actually called into his medical director's office to defend his action."

Dr. Sax said half a dozen physicians described similar incidents.

His study is expected to be published in a major U.S. medical journal next month.

Dr. Sax, who is also the founder of the National Association for Single Sex Public Education, spoke about his findings following a conference on the merits of single-sex schooling in Toronto yesterday.

He found the initial diagnosis of ADD came from teachers in more than half of cases, from parents in 25% of cases and from the primary physician in
    10%. The rest of the time ADD was identified by a psychologist, neighbour or friend.

Dr. Sax said in four U.S. states, teachers have been prohibited from recommending a diagnosis of ADD following concerns children are being over-medicated to control their behaviour.

Speaking at the conference at Upper Canada College, a private all-boys school, he told more than 400 educators he believes children are often wrongly diagnosed with ADD when it is simply a case of them not hearing a soft-spoken teacher.

Dr. Sax presented research yesterday showing boys' brains are wired differently. "Women and girls hear better than boys and men. A boy's failure to pay attention may be misinterpreted as attention deficit disorder when it is merely a result of the teacher not speaking loud enough," he said.

Educators used to worry about girls' performances in math and science, but concern has recently shifted to boys.

Dr. Sax argued that boys and girls learn differently -- in math, for example, boys are fascinated by numbers on their own, while girls prefer things to be put in the context of real life; in literature, boys enjoy action and are less likely to talk about how they feel about a character, he said.

Single-sex schooling has largely been limited to private schools in Canada but is being tested in some public schools. A Hamilton school will offer the first single-sex classrooms in a public school starting this fall. In
    Calgary, two all-girl schools are opening this year -- one a regular public school, the other a charter school.

Studies have found boys who attend single-sex schools are more likely to pursue interests in art, music, dance, drama and food, and are more likely to major in humanities than those who attend mixed-sex schools, said Dr. Sax, who argued that single-sex schooling makes boys comfortable going into non-traditional roles.

However, Dr. Sandra Witelson, a professor of behavioural neurosciences at McMaster University who is best known for having studied Albert Einstein's
    brain, told yesterday's conference it was not as simple as differences in boys' and girls' brains. Educators must be aware that even among boys and girls, there were differences in their characteristics, she said.

Some students are a "mosaic" and may have female and male characteristics, she said, concluding more research needs to be done to prove a link between
    the differences in male and female brains and levels of performance.

Third post on the subject, what is the catch here? Since when should a teacher be a shrink? Last breakdown I saw was 96% of the teachers dropping this ball were female. 2% were male pushing this, heh... is it a fem bash people or is it that sexes are simply being divided?

Is same sex education the answer? Has the female push in the class gone too far?
    Whats the take here? How can one quarter of the male population be in need of drug modifcation for behavour?
    Water? Comercials? Pollution? Intollerance? New laws? New research? Cerials? Bad bacon? Is one out of four males you met chemicaly imbalanced? Ok true how about one out of four females you meet?

Are our kids being over-medicated to ease the burdon and or tollerance levels? Ok boys are more agressive and active does this mean meds? Is the day-care society as we know it the cause? Or is it the increasing divorce rate causing behavour problems?

Do males need male in thier lives to add direction?
    Check out the stats, interesting to see the increase in over-medicated and uncle dads walking the same path..

Last joke I saw it was one out of four PEOPLE you meet are in need of meds....

Last stats 26% of boys were on some sort of drug to modify behaviour....5% of the girls.

Do some research on the subject and ask yourself, when the teacher demands your child be put on ritalin and or other drugs so they will do what they desire in thier class, what will be your reply? Do you have a choice? Is your doctor going to see this through?
    Are you?
    “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
    Or do we?

It is because most elementary teachers are women, they don't understand boys. Teachers are also to lazy because they are underpaid to make the efort to make the class better for boys.

That's my $0.02.

Comment

Indeed (to blackice)
      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Last breakdown I saw was 96% of the teachers dropping this ball were female.
        LOL
        I was just going to post a troll in here saying "If we didn't have female teachers this wouldn't be a problem!" because every thread you post is anti-woman, but it seems you beat me to it.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Again, over-medication.

Better solutions exist.
          www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

STUPOSID STEACHERS ALWWAYS BEIGN STUPID!!!!!
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

WOOHOO Shi is drunk
              www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Hey schoolkids! Emigrate to the US! Free Ritalin!
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

It's not Ritalin that's the problem, it's ADD. ADD is an epidemic. It is not some long time condition that has only been recently identified. Knowing what the tolerance for hyperactivity in children was 40 or 50 years ago or earlier, had ADD been around back then it would be big news.

The minds of boys and girls are not as biologically different as people make them out to be. The craptacular consumer-industrial complex brainwashes children into these gender roles and causes ADD. Action movies do their worst damage not in their sex or violence but in their effect on their viewer's attention span.
                  Visit First Cultural Industries
                  There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                  Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Parents should be an advict for thier child's welfare but it seems many are simply to busy to be bothered. I would resist the idea of doping up my kids.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                      It's not Ritalin that's the problem, it's ADD. ADD is an epidemic. It is not some long time condition that has only been recently identified. Knowing what the tolerance for hyperactivity in children was 40 or 50 years ago or earlier, had ADD been around back then it would be big news.

The minds of boys and girls are not as biologically different as people make them out to be. The craptacular consumer-industrial complex brainwashes children into these gender roles and causes ADD. Action movies do their worst damage not in their sex or violence but in their effect on their viewer's attention span.
                      Ah, yes. Action movies are destroying the minds of our children.

Of course, in the 1950's it was Comic books. A little further back in the 1920's and 1930's it was Hollywood in general. That was just after the catasphrophic social evil of vaudeville, and the corresponding British social genocide of bawdy Music Halls.

In fact, it was amazing that we made it into the late 19th century at all, given the damage caused by the "Penny Dreadfuls" in the 1850's and 1860's. That was coming on top of the original Big Bad Social Evil that was theatre from 1500 to 1700.

On top of that, you've got "Gangsta Rap", and all those Heavy Metallers turning our kidsw onto Satan through backward masking. And (of couse) we were all turned into killers by Dungeons and Dragons, Manga cartoons and "Tom and Jerry".

I'd fear for the future, but it's clear that there won't be one.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Boys need a lot more physical exercise than they are getting if they have this ADD crap. Our bodies weren't made for inaction.
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

This has been refuted in numerous studies. Boys and girls ARE different. There IS a physiological difference in their brains, from the very beginning. Transsexual males have female properties of the sexually dimorphic nucleus.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
                          X