No announcement yet.

The Future of Naval Warships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see directed energy weapons working against air attack. For one thing, most aircraft are fairly reflective, so laser weapons would be impeded in their effectiveness. For another, energy weapons can't home in on targets. They can only go in straight lines. So you have this plane going at mach 2, and somehow you have to point an energy weapon at the plane for long enough that it does significant damage. Not the easiest thing. Meanwhile, all the pilot has to do is let loose his missiles and fly away.
    I refute it thus!
    "Destiny! Destiny! No escaping that for me!"

Comment

weapons

Rail Guns -
      Rail guns have a big recoil. The force of the recoil is equal to the momentum imparted on the shell and spread out over the time the shell spends in the gun barrel. Thus, the recoil would be bigger than that of present day guns.

Directed Energy Weapons -
      Planes are reflective? Yes and no. It depends upon the wavelengths we are talking about. You could tune the frequency of your energy weapon to something that the plane (or something in the plane) would really absorb. As far as pointing goes, it is a lot easier to point a direct energy weapon at where the plane is than it is to point a gun at where the plane will be in the time it takes the bullet to get there. The real problem with directed energy weapons is that we don't have any in production (all examples are still experimental).
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

OTOH, it's far easier to point a homing missile at a plane than a beam weapon. Yes, it is better than using flak guns or cannon. And, if you could get one-hit kills with your weapon, then it could conceivably work as a pretty effective AA gun.

The thing is, if not, it would be fairly hard to get a second shot. Misdirection techniques such as chaff or flares would still work, because the gun would be just as dependent on guidance systems - unless you wanted to control it manually, which brings back the problem of shooting at the mach 2 target that's busy taking evasive action.
        I refute it thus!

Comment

Russian Navy

The Russians were working on something they called an achronoplon (sp?). It was a huge ground effect plane that flew about 5 meters above the surface. These craft were frigate sized, carried lots of missiles, and could travel at around 300 knots.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

EDIT: found a site about these suckers. Called "ekranoplans", the general name for such planes is WIG (wing-in-ground) effect vehicles. They did build a number, including one with anti-ship missiles to attack American carrier battle groups. They got great fuel efficiency due to the ground effect. However, they can crash upon takeoff before sufficient lift is generated by ground effect.

A good page about these: http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question...cs/q0130.shtml
            Last edited by Goingonit; August 30, 2003, 01:00.
            I refute it thus!

Comment

homing weapons

The problem with homing weapons is that they are just as vulnerable (perhaps moreso) to misdrection techniques as directed fire weapons. They use the same techniques (IR, radar, etc.) to home in and their smaller onboard processing systems have less capability to resist/conteract/compensate against the various misdirection techniques.

Comment

Russian Flying Ship

They had at least 2 operational that I know of, but they never really got beyond the testing phase. They never went operational. I believe they had about 10-12 hours of jet fuel on board. Then they would sink to the surface and float until they were refueled.

Comment

Whatever. Their troop ships weren't even as cool as the destroyers.
                  -30-

Comment

we need a large navy, because we need to project power around the globe.
                    Yeah, so we can bully around more people.

What will ships of the future be like? And plus, if we ever developed a laser that could destroy things it would take a lot of energy and it would be more efficient to have conventional weapons. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
                    "The first man who, having fenced off a plot of land, thought of saying, 'This is mine' and found people simple enough to believe him was the real founder of civil society. How many crimes, wars, murders, how many miseries and horrors might the human race had been spared by the one who, upon pulling up the stakes or filling in the ditch, had shouted to his fellow men: 'Beware of listening to this imposter; you are lost if you forget the fruits of the earth belong to all and that the earth belongs to no one." - Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

What we need is a private war - sort of like marriage but instead of yelling, you use rail guns and rocket launchers while smoking in the elevator.
                      -30-

Comment

From the article:

The ship will carry 80 Advanced Vertical Launch System tubes, two 40mm close-in machine guns and torpedoes. The VLS cells are arranged along the deck edge for much of the ship’s length.
                        Looks like they will have a significant conventional defense system. One would assume that at least some of those tubes carry anti-aircraft missles.

and

“That can take us to systems that can find itty-bitty targets in the exoatmosphere a lot more efficiently than we can now,” Hamilton said. “That’s why this power thing is so important to us.”
                        Looks like they are planning on solving the targeting problem as well.

Goingonit, Did you even read the article??
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Like I said YEARS ago - VTOL.
                          -30-

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            Is there even a rival naval power?
                            You know, I'm sure the Brits said something along those lines about a century ago.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

So did the Spanish, and look how it turned out for them.
                              -30-

Comment

Exactly.
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X