N. Korea Says It Has, Plans to Test Nukes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

Do you really think North Korea would start it? If they were to start a nuclear war, they do know they would probably be nuked back to hell?
    I can think of a couple of scenarios where they would start a war and try to use a nuclear threat to keep us out of it. The bottom line is that the DPRK is starving. They must do something to try to stave off the daily imminence of economic collapse. They have obviously chosen a militaristic and confrontational policy. I believe that hey are putting themselves into a position where it will eithier be the collapse of the regime or war. I don't think Kim will go willingly.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

If the DPRK starts it, they're on their own, and they know it. If they're attacked, they have a reasonable expectation of China's aid.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        If the DPRK starts it, they're on their own, and they know it. If they're attacked, they have a reasonable expectation of China's aid.
        Che, I'm not so sure you are correct about them being on their own. China historically attacks anybody when an attacking army approaches their boarder. Additionally, do you think that the Chinese want the ROK army right across the Yalu? I believe that it is impossible to predict what the Chinese would do in the event of war.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO

Che, I'm not so sure you are correct about them being on their own. China historically attacks anybody when an attacking army approaches their boarder. Additionally, do you think that the Chinese want the ROK army right across the Yalu? I believe that it is impossible to predict what the Chinese would do in the event of war.
          However, China would not risk the economic collapse that would ensue if they were to help the DPRK after a nuclear attack. Let's face it: Here in America there would probably be HUGE public pressure to destroy the DPRK and anyone who helped them.
          China is on the road to superpowerness and they know it. They won't screw that over for the DPRK.
          Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
          Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
            I believe that it is impossible to predict what the Chinese would do in the event of war.
            China doesn't want a war at all. It has too much to lose in terms of trade. That's why, unless the DPRK is attacked, I'm sure they're telling Kim that they won't back his ass.

China in 1951 was a revolutionary government. They were burning with righteous fire and a desire to show their internationalism and aid their communist brothers. Today they are Communist in little more than name. They act as if their future lies with the West and not with the international Communist movement.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar

However, China would not risk the economic collapse that would ensue if they were to help the DPRK after a nuclear attack. Let's face it: Here in America there would probably be HUGE public pressure to destroy the DPRK and anyone who helped them.
              China is on the road to superpowerness and they know it. They won't screw that over for the DPRK.
              Possibly correct I'll admit. But, China also empasizes in their military training that they are preparing for a war with the US. Can they afford to have a large US garrison of nuclear equipped troops on their boarder? The Chinese have sacrificed economic ambitions for idealogical ones in the past. It is possible that they will do so again. Like I said...It is impossible to determine where they would land in a US-DPRK war.

Comment

Y'know, as much as I don't always agree with Bush, you can't pin this exclusively on him or his cronies. You can't pin it on Clinton. In fact, you can't blame the U.S. period for this development.

North Korea has shown for years and years that they were hellbent on acquiring nuclear weapons and, worse, perhaps proliferating them via missile technology trades to the likes of Iran and Pakistan. All those damnable agreements they signed — including the 1994 Framework Agreement — and then abrogated were just "tonics" to ease the rest of the world's fears about what they were attempting to do. All the flowery words were just that, flowery words.

Have fun with a new nuclear neighbor, South Korea, Japan and China. Have fun putting up with its blackmail. In the meantime, the U.S. needs to conduct a crash-course Manhattan Project style effort to research a missile defense system that will actually work, not this questionable "quasi-shield" we have now. If that means taxes go up, then, dammit, so be it.

You gotta be alive to pursue the American dream, after all.

Gatekeeper
                "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
                  Y'know, as much as I don't always agree with Bush, you can't pin this exclusively on him or his cronies.
                  I don't, but he certainly excaserbated the situation.

Comment

No, I (of course) blame the US for this situation. North Korea only recently got these. In November, the CIA said it thinks NK will be a nuclear power by the beginning of the new year. But Bush did nothing. He woudl rather go after Iraq which had no nukes AT ALL and posted very little threat.
                    And now it is too late. Because of his inaction, and because he did not care, North Korea is in this position of power. And we can do nothing to stop it.

Comment

Look, the lesson of Iraq is, you need a deterent.

No, that isn't. Every state knows the need for deterrance, and knows that nukes are the ultimate deterrent. Why do you think India and Pakistan made them? Not just to show they were 'powerful'.

And now it is too late. Because of his inaction, and because he did not care, North Korea is in this position of power. And we can do nothing to stop it.

I'd LOVE to see what the left would say if we declared war on North Korea, and they used nukes against us. Or, better yet, start WW3 when China comes in against us!

I guess it is damned if you do, damned if you don't .
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                        I guess it is damned if you do, damned if you don't .
                        Yep, now it is. Wasn't in Dec02 though But our leaders did not care.

Comment

Wasn't in Dec02 though

Yeah sure... and India didn't have nukes until the late 90s
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Wasn't in Dec02 though

Yeah sure... and India didn't have nukes until the late 90s
                            This attempt to defend your precious leader is PITIFUL, Imran. You are more capable of trolling than this

Comment

The pitiful argument is that we could have 'done' something about North Korea in December of '02 .

Comment

The pitiful argument is that we could have 'done' something about North Korea in December of '02 .
                                This is true. We should have done something about DPRK in December 02. We should have done something about DPRK in Dec 94 also. We probably should have done something about DPRK in Dec of just about any year.

Comment

Working...
                                X