Apple Stock Looking Good!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Andy-man

I buy two types of stocks Investment and Gambled Stocks...

1. When I look for Investment stocks I look at large cap stocks with high volumes of trade (like Apple), if it falls into this catagory I will not Gamble with it. Then I look for low PE and high yield (or good performance over the last 2-5 years). I also check to see that their earnings are fine, if their earnings are low I expect to see a slightly higher PE, but I don't want something too high still.

For low earnings I then investigate on why their earning are low, check their cash assets, expenses, and total net worth. If their cash assets are high I would speculate that they are about to make a move to compensate for their low earnings (buy), if their expenses are high I speculate that they will have lay offs (sell) or sell of part of their company (buy), and if their total net worth is very high I would expect them to barter against it and maybe aquire a company or sell something off (buy). Yet, this is only if their earnings are low, which is rare for large cap companies...

2. Gambling stocks are just that - a gamble. I find stocks that look like they have a good product and buisness plan, as well as decent backers, I ignore all numbers and buy. Usually these stocks are cheap (less then $10/share) and you can get a deal. Other times the stocks are just down right risky investment, but it's the monkey game... Being in Pharma I generally gamble on pharma stock since I understand the buisness a little better than other markets (not much mind you), and can speculate better on whether such a company will sink or swim...

Basically, as I am young right now, I have about a 70/30 cash split on these types of stocks, with 70 being the more stable of investments.

A while ago I bought CAG (ConAgra Foods) after we talked about people making petrol out of chicken guts, and CAG funds that research. I checked them out and they had a low PE (12-13 range), a good yield (4-5%, when bonds were making 2), they were 5 points of their 52 week high (and 5 points above their low), they had high expenses, good earning, and a lot of cash... I also saw that they were in dealings to sell of some portions of their buisness... So I bought. The stock is only up a buck from where I bought it about 4 months, but it also has already returned me 4.5% on the dollar... That's better than any CD I could of bought! I like the stock. Thanks
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94

Wow, Asher, that's very diplomatic of you. I honestly can't remember the last time you were so genial on this subject!
      Looks like the Ashman got a bit recently.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Looks like the Ashman got a bit recently.
        What have I been missing?!
        HAVE A DAY.
        <--- Quote by Former U.S. President Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt
        "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
        For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

Wow, Asher, that's very diplomatic of you. I honestly can't remember the last time you were so genial on this subject!

That's because 99% of the time he's TROLLING you, you fool!
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Mac sucks.
            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
              Mac sucks.

You could at least be a little more detailed than that.
              HAVE A DAY.
              "And there will be strange events in the skies--signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And down here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. The courage of many people will falter because of the fearful fate they see coming upon the earth, because the stability of the very heavens will be broken up. Then everyone will see the Son of Man arrive on the clouds with power and great glory. So when all these things begin to happen, stand straight and look up, for your salvation is near!" --Luke 21:25-28
              For the Lord himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the call of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. Then, together with them, we who are still alive and remain on the earth will be caught up in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and remain with him forever. --1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                Mac sucks.

No, you can't spell. It's "S-A-C-K S-C-U-M."
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

No, you can't spell. It's "S-A-C-K S-C-U-M."
                  HAVE A DAY.

Comment

Enough with the spamming... unless you enjoy being restricted.
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Mr. NIce Guy; did ever occur to you that an analyst saying that even though the numbers look bad that it's a good stock, and that analyst don't understand it, is a little hypocritical? Sounds fishy to me... Pump-and-dump-ish
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                        Mr. NIce Guy; did ever occur to you that an analyst saying that even though the numbers look bad that it's a good stock, and that analyst don't understand it, is a little hypocritical? Sounds fishy to me... Pump-and-dump-ish
                        According to the article "they have been wrong before, so why should we listen to them now?"
                        HAVE A DAY.

Comment

You need help.

Never listen to anyone's advice, ever, about stocks. Simple rule.

Especially from people who proclaim they're not experts but think they know better. You know right away that's trouble.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Well, Asher, you just gave me advice on stocks... should I listen to it or not?

It's like a sign that says "Do Not Read This Sign"
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Didn't read the thread. But why does this matter? Shouldn't we be arguing "Mac OS X is better for the 2 games that it does play than Windows XP" instead of "Apple stock is better for 2 investors that are from the future than Microsoft"?
                              meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

I gave no advice on stocks, I gave advice on receiving advice on stocks.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X