No announcement yet.

Champions League predictions - week 1 and pre-season predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that's probably right and any away win in the Champions league is a good result. That said I've always thought that if you are attacking the other team can't be... although not to the extremes that Madrid take it.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
      There, Loc, again I gain more than you do!
      Uhm, that's actually the first time... and the week is only half over
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH
        I think that's probably right and any away win in the Champions league is a good result. That said I've always thought that if you are attacking the other team can't be... although not to the extremes that Madrid take it.
        I've always been an advocate of offensive strategies; combined with majority possession, it forces the opponent backwards a lot, but it also depends on what the opponent is used to playing.
        SPP appears to me as an organized counter-attacking team, like Dynamo Kyiv, that can switch to offense very quickly with a few passes. If you push your defense too far forward (fullbacks playing forward towards the midfield for instance), you'll leave big gaps at the back.

Comment

Chelsea started off with full backs pushing up but then 3 (THREE!!!) midfielders dropping back to cover the center backs.
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Hm, fullbacks didn't have much to do anyway, since most teams attack through the middle.

It's too bad that attacking over the outside with wingers has grown extinct =\

Comment

When Chelsea stared to look good was when Duff came on and him and Geremi were attacking down the wings, supported by the full backs.

Attacking everything down the middle just left everything congested, no space for any attacks.
              We've got both kinds

Comment

Absolutely, I really don't understand why youth trainers don't spend more time focusing on attacking down the wings.

There are no young players coming through who know how make the move, run, and cross the ball.

Comment

Maybe not in Holland but there are here. eg Duff, Bridge and Johnson for Chelsea, all young players who can do it.

But English football has always liked players crossing to the big center forward for him to nod it in. It's pretty much all we can do.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

It's a good strategy, also because some goalies are very shaky in cross situations.

Over here, attacking down the wings is quite popular as well, with wingers like Zenden, Overmars, Van der Meijde, and Robben.
                    We don't get to see much of the Premiership over here, one or two games per week are broadcasted live, but it just depends who's playing, so I can't get a good view of what's going on.

The Ajax team that won the CL in 1995 played a 4-3-3 system with Overmars on the left, George on the right, and Kluivert in the middle. That team was dominant enough to force the opponent to adjust to its playing style.

The Ajax of today, however, is more conservative and adjusts itself to the opponent instead.

Comment

I think the Ajax of today has to be, although they are good they aren't quite as good as some of the teams they meet.

4-3-3 with two proper wingers seems to be becoming more and more popular again these days.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Yea, they tried to force the issue with wingers in the past, but sadly, the quality isn't there (anymore/yet).

4-3-3 can be very effective, but it's so difficult to play just one striker up front, since the defense can double-team him.
                        Moving the center midfielder up to support him on offense leaves vulnerable gaps on midfield unless you move up your fullbacks.

All of this requires incredible organization and proper communication, which a lot of teams lack because of the different nationalities on the field.
                        Ajax' championship team of 1995 had nine Dutchmen, one Finn, and one Nigerian.

Comment

And what a bunch of players as well, if you look at what they went on to do... amazing.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Yes, too bad they were lured away by big clubs with large sums of money. They were all so young and could have won many more championships as a team.

It's a shame that the Dutch league is so crap =\

Comment

I imagine that's a danger with the current Ajax team... well it's already starting to happen isn't it.

The French league has the same problem I think.
                              We've got both kinds

Comment

Yea, Chivu and Van der Meijde left for the Serie A. There was also some speculation on Trabelsi leaving, which is why Ajax purchased Grygera, but fortunately he's still here, especially because Grygera is injured right now.

Yes, the French league is losing appeal too. It was considered semi-surprising that Escude signed for Ajax instead of some other French club. Hopefully he'll learn Dutch quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X