Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doppledanger

Or is it doppledänger? Or doppeldanger?

Well anyway I'm talking about the thing, that everyone has exact copy of themselves, you know like identical twin, but not really twin somewhere in the world.
    I find this interesting, though I don't think it's true but the idea is interesting.

What do you think?
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

i thought it was doppelgänger
    B♭3

Comment

Yeah that's the word! Thanks Q Cubed.. .

I wasn't reading about this lately, just popped into my head from nowhere, so I didn't remember it correctly.

So yeah, doppelgänger, what you think?
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

I'll throw a definiton here, so you understand if you haven't ever heard this word:

Also Doppleganger. From the German meaning 'double walker', a ghostly double or counterpart of a living person.

The belief that each person has an identical 'twin' somewhere, though they are unrelated, is a very ancient one. Sometimes the Doppelgänger is the direct opposite personality of the real person; a very nice person will have an evil Doppelgänger and vice-versa. Legend says that if the two should meet, they will both die.

------

Ok so not talking about what the legend says, but can it be true?
        In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
          Can it be true?
          There is no reason for it to be true. An exact "twin" would have to be born at the same moment, with the great many physical features being exactly identical. While there is a very tiny chance it happens to a few people, it is unthinkable that it happens to everyone.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

i'm sure it can be true. a funny take on it is in seinfeld with bizzaro everyone.

it's just another spin on the idea of duality, of matter and antimatter, sorta. if it does exist in reality though, i think it would have far less to do with appearance than temperment.
            B♭3

Comment

Ok, we can take it down a bit, not EXACT match, but like 99% match, that your parents can tell the difference, but it would be very convincing, I mean very close... And maybe not to every single person, but for most people?

I don't know, I don't necessary believe in this, and certainly not the legend part, but it's very interesting anyway. If I saw 99% copy of mine somewhere, I think I'd be closer to heart attack than 'wow that's cool' at first
              In da butt.

Comment

I don't think it's true literally, but the idea is intriguing. I think it is an elaboration on the very ancient idea of dark self/light self, that a good person has a dark side and a bad person has something good inside.

Of course, the Star Trek story "Mirror Mirror" is interesting, too.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yin and yang.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Seldon
                    Yin and yang.
                    No.

Yin and Yang are in fact not opposites, but complementary qualities.

(='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

It is more likely that there is someone out there that is your complete opposite than to there being someone that is your doppleganger... BIzzaro Japher! Rehpaj?
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Yeah, but how can you be complete opposite, physically and in appearance???

I've been thinking about this, and if I saw my copy by accident, I think I'd be rather afraid than wanting to meet the guy . I'd puss out... Or I could kick his butt!
                        In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                          I'd puss out... Or I could kick his butt!
                          No doubt, he's the good guy

Comment

Good, bad, what does it matter? I'm the one with the gun....

It would be cool to find your hand twin tough.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X