OT most serious forum, RON most inane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT most serious forum, RON most inane

There. That's a good thread title and I'll explain what it's referring to in a minute. What I just did was, for several categories, sum up the total number of posts and total number of threads, and took the average posts/thread. I think this has a lot of significance regarding the character of a forum. First, here are my results:

Total threads: 87433
    Total posts: 2090820
    Total average: 23.91

OT threads: 18736
    OT posts: 779997
    OT average: 41.63

Civ3 threads: 27456
    Civ3 posts: 509203
    Civ3 average: 18.55

Demogame threads*: 9082
    Demogame posts*: 215883
    Demogame average: 23.77

Apolyton/Community threads: 3749
    Apolyton/Community posts: 80792
    Apolyton/Community average: 21.55

RoN threads: 1342
    RoN posts: 12812
    RoN average: 9.55

GalCiv threads: 362
    GalCiv posts: 3878
    GalCiv average: 10.71

MoO3 threads: 1401
    MoO3 posts: 20812
    MoO3 average: 14.86

Civ2 threads: 9670
    Civ2 posts: 187199
    Civ2 average: 19.36

SMAC threads: 6850
    SMAC posts: 188321
    SMAC average: 27.49

CtP2 threads: 4149
    CtP2 posts: 51324
    CtP2 average: 12.37

CtP threads: 2782
    CtP posts: 82402
    CtP average: 29.62

Alt. Civs threads: 1572
    Alt. Civs posts: 28338
    Alt. Civs average: 18.03

Now, what conclusions could I hope to draw from this?

First let us look at the stats for all of Poly. Average of 23.91 posts per thread, or slightly over one page per thread. There are two possible causes for this (at least that I can think of). First, people in general dislike going to two pages. Second, on average, the active interest of people in a thread is just enough to carry it for that long. I think it is a combination of the two.

Now, let us look at RoN. It has a measly 9.55 posts per thread. That's not even half a page. I think that with such a small and not-quite-disinterested demographic, there aren't enough people or interest to keep a thread going very long. People in the civ3 strat forum have HUGE threads discussing a specific strategy. RoN doesn't have enough interest or people to accumulate that many posts about one topic.

Compare this to the OT, with 41.63 posts per thread! Just over two pages. People in OT are used to longer threads, for one thing, but that's a chicken-and-egg problem. I think people in the OT are serious enough about what they're debating (a bit too serious, sometimes, but what else are mods for? ) that they aren't discouraged until the third page pops up. And many aren't discouraged there, as evidenced by the 500-posts-and-it-dies rule.

There are anomalies. Notedly, SMAC and CtP. I've never really browsed those forums, but since they're small you'd think they'd be like RoN et al. SMAC's high posts per thread average could be due to the recent demogame, which could significantly counterbalance the rest of the forum. However, looking at the stats for the demogames, they come out at 23.77 posts per thread, very close to the overall average. It could be that back then the default threads per page was 25 back then, but look at the Civ2 forums. It's a mystery.

Jesus H. Christ, go get laid, will ya?
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I'm 15

Comment

Skywalker... you forget that many of us (and probably the majority of regular users) have their default set at 40 posts per page... and that some even have ways of displaying more than 40 posts per page...

So much for most of you insights
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
          Jesus H. Christ, go get laid, will ya?
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Oh. I never knew that in the first place, but that could explain some things. I'd bet that a lot of the people in the OT were those.

Comment

I have 50 posts per page.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

How about if you factor in the length of each post? (Is there an easy way to do that?) Since OT doesn't count towards post count, one-line or one-smiley spam is tolerated.
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                  How about if you factor in the length of each post? (Is there an easy way to do that?) Since OT doesn't count towards post count, one-line or one-smiley spam is tolerated.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

If you want me to read ~2 million threads, sure, I'll do it :P

Comment

I think that spam-toleration goes a long way to the OT's higher average. But for on-topic forums, RoN is rather relaxed compared to other so spam toleration is not the entire story.

For the record, I'm using 25 posts per page.
                      Or not. It must have changed recently, I had better change it back.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

People who find their way to the OT forum are simply more inclined to say something when they get here.

Also it isn't very difficult to get OT posters to rant on for several hundred posts about the US president of the time, terrorism, the Middle East, protectionism, ... etc. You can only generate so much discussion about whether the Gallic Swordsman in Civ3 PTW costs too many shields to build or similar topics in the game forums.
                        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I am not sure that the spams increase the average number of posts. Lets take a recent example, the thread titled

Hamas talks out of its rump, world didnt expect any less.

This thread was deliberately attacked (and eventually killed) by a spamming commando including

SlowwHand
                          Skywalker
                          FrustratedPoet
                          Spiffor
                          Azazel
                          Bebro
                          Dom Pedro II

Together they wrote 14 posts

Three serious posters nevertheless were not discouraged and wrote a total of 3 posts

Opened at 15.02 by Vesayen, the thread was killed at 20.13 by Dom Pedro II with a grand total of 17 posts, which is significantly below average. I would therefore conclude that spamming does not explain the hight average number of post per thread observed on the OT forum.

NOTE analysing a successful spamming attack

The attack was obviously carefully planned and coordinated.

SlowwHand opened the operation with an elogious (and apparently innocent) comment on the use of the word rump.
                          Skywalker, in the role of the bad cop, states that it is the second thread on the same subject.
                          Then FrustratedPoet launch a lethal accusation : The commas in thread titles annoy millions.
                          He is immediately thumbed up by Spiffor.
                          Which causes Skywalker to lol
                          It is the moment chosen by Azazel to widely open the pre-decided field of discussion in expressing his interest tfor the punctuation : What is wrong with commas in thread titles ?
                          Bebro suggests a broad explanation : They are evil.
                          SlowwHand of course desagrees and offers a new path of discussion : There is nothing wrong with commas in thread titles. It is the lack of apostrophe, I find, disturbing.

At this point of his reading, a compassionate lurker would be sorry to learn that the disturbed behaviour of Slowwhand was due to the lack of apostrophe which till now he never considered as potentially harmful.

But Spiffor neglects harshly SlowwHand distress, and elaborates pompously on the proper way to make titles in general and thread titles in particular.
                          Slowwhand disagrees again with Spiffor who advocated for the use of *and* instead of commas, and opens another subject : semi-colons are most neglected; of that, I have no doubt.
                          About what, Spiffor quite ambiguously recommends : Don’t mess with semi-colons.
                          Not surprisingly, SlowwHand answers : No, I like semi-colons. Semi-colons rock.
                          Spiffor then describes with verve his considerable use of semi-colons, aiming to successively demonstrate that he loves semi-colons more than SlowwHand does.

At this stage, the kill is elegantly made by Dom Pedro II giving semantic considerations on the word rump. This clearly answer the opening spam of SlowwHand, and shows the degree of perfection (and efficiency) reach by some spammers gangs.
                          Statistical anomaly.
                          The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

@ DAVOUT !!!
                            Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

I think Smiley has a point. The seriousness of a thread has to do with the average or median post length. However, if the mode is 2 lines or less (not counting white space and smilies), the thread got spammed.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X